Cornwall II...should I?

svberger

Have a chance to pick up a pair locally  that look great, are completely stock, for $750. I used to have a pair and sold them a few years ago, and I've regretted it ever since. I'm really tempted, but I won't be able to update the crossovers or anything else. Just no time, and not much talent. Without updating, are they worth getting, or should I leave them be for somebody else and wait until updated ones become available? 

11 hours ago, svberger said:

Have a chance to pick up a pair locally  that look great, are completely stock, for $750. I used to have a pair and sold them a few years ago, and I've regretted it ever since. I'm really tempted, but I won't be able to update the crossovers or anything else. Just no time, and not much talent. Without updating, are they worth getting, or should I leave them be for somebody else and wait until updated ones become available? 

whats wrong with a stock CWII?

Seems like a good price if they're in decent shape and they really shouldn't need any immediate work. Down the line you'd probably want to send the crossovers in for a re-cap but unless there is something wrong with the speakers you could probably get by for quite some time before doing that.

55 minutes ago, Schu said:

whats wrong with a stock CWII?

Thanks.

I would agree,but obviously there are a lot of opinions(yeah I know, everyone has one) that encourage opening them up and making them new and better. I tend to think the opposite, but thought before I jumped on them I'd get some input. 

Turns out I'm second in line for them so we'll see. If I am able to acquire, I'll post some pics. 

• Like 1

The early Cornwall had the drivers soldered to the internal speaker wire, the later models did not.

Even when new the later Cornwall had a problem with the image drifting.

Soldering the wire to the drivers will fix this, but Bob Crites says a lot of people ruin the tweeter while doing this, and thanks me for the replacement diaphragm business he gets from these people.

If the ESR is high on the original caps (over 0.5Ω), they will benefit from being replaced.

11 hours ago, djk said:

The early Cornwall had the drivers soldered to the internal speaker wire, the later models did not.

Even when new the later Cornwall had a problem with the image drifting.

Soldering the wire to the drivers will fix this, but Bob Crites says a lot of people ruin the tweeter while doing this, and thanks me for the replacement diaphragm business he gets from these people.

If the ESR is high on the original caps (over 0.5Ω), they will benefit from being replaced.

Good Job :D.  You are correct about solder vs connectors that is little known.

20 hours ago, svberger said:

Turns out I'm second in line for them so we'll see. If I am able to acquire, I'll post some pics. 

Well this sucks, second in line on a good deal usually leaves one empty handed.

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Right on! How do they sound? Can you post a picture with the grills off?

2 hours ago, Alpha220 said:

Gorgeous!  Congrats, too!  Did you snag them for $750, just great.  Definitely post a pic w/o grills.  How do they sound -- they look perfect in your room.

Yes $750.

They sound great. I haven't checked, but the seller claims they might been modded by the last owner 10 years ago. Certainly not experiencing anything close to the rolled off sound described with drifting caps. 

Here's one without the grilles:

IMG_0082.jpg

Edited by svberger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

Congratulations!

Cornwall's, the ii's especially, are a game changer.

It may take weeks to get that smile off your face!

I believe you. Hopefully next week they'll be paired up with a pair of Dynaco MKIII's that I purchased recently. Seems like a dream match that will keep me smiling a bit longer.

• Like 1

0525170818.jpgPulled them out about 2.5 feet from the wall, and moved my rack away a little from the right speaker as I do what little experimentation I can with them. I've been advised that getting them into the room and away from the walls might produce better results. 

Edited by svberger