Our new product

USNRET

Carl and I like to rip on each other.  He is in the bizz so he knows the deal.  It kills me when people say oh the maintenance on those foreign cars.  Then their ford or chevy breaks down and its towed to the shop.  I have seen the parts cost on dodge.  Folks, there is little difference and if anything euro car parts are cheaper in many cases.  And they just last longer.  Look at any 20 to 30 year old euro car compared to the same age from other countries.  One is still on the road, others are being restored.  And modified to make up for their deficiencies.

My going on 20yr. old M3 still runs strong. Never been to the dealership, but did take it recently to a mechanic to install a new clutch and pressure plt. 150,000.

Get offers and questions from strangers, most young boys, regularly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

?????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I'll send Brian peppers occasionally for his hot sauce.

I has a hard time starting starting seeds seeds this year and asked for some good juju.

9 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Sister lives across the street from Pope AFB....oh, the noise of those C5's coming in. :blink:

I lived under the landing pattern for Burbank Airport back in the early-mid 1980s, when Lockheed was building assemblies for F117s (Stealth Fighters) at its factory there. (Looooong since torn down after Lockheed packed up and moved to Georgia in the early 90s.) Around once a month (always at night) a C5 would fly directly over my condo on its way into the airport — you could tell it wasn't a commercial airliner because those four TF39s sounded nothing like the JT-8Ds that powered the 727s, DC-9s and MD-80s that usually flew into Burbank. When I heard those engines, I'd get in my car and make the 20-minute trip to the airport, parking at a side street just off the north (takeoff) end of the runway. There was a chain-link fence that provided a view of the entire runway from my left to my right.

I could look down towards the Lockheed hangars, where the C5 (sometimes it was painted MATS white/gray, other times it was camo) was parked with its nose cargo opening elevated, and would watch as very large items (the size of a small school bus) covered by tarps (and surrounded by armed guards) were wheeled up the cargo ramp into the C5 — on nights when the runway was wet it totally looked like a scene from a spy movie.

After a while the C5's nose would slowly lower, its engines would spool-up a bit and it would slowly (very slowly — from that distance it seemed no faster than a walk, but of course it was) make its way down the taxiway towards us (there were always several people at this vantage point — a C5 flying an approach directly over a valley with a population of over 1 million people makes for a poorly-kept secret indeed). It was only as the plane drew directly across from us did you get the full impression of just how BIG that thing was; it looked like a building was moving under its own power.

The C5 would then turn towards us from the taxiway onto the runway and would wait there (just a few hundred yards away) while the pilots ran through their checklist or waited for takeoff clearance. Then they would spool-up the engines and HOLY SH*T, you never heard anything like that in your life!!! You were being shaken from the inside out as it roared past us, and in a surprisingly short distance it would be off the ground. We would watch it fly south gaining altitude until it made a graceful U-turn towards the north, heading (I assume) to either Air Force Plant 42 in Palmdale (for final assembly) or all the way to Groom Lake in Nevada. We'd always wait until it was completely out of sight (and sound) before we went back to our regularly-scheduled lives. (One time one of the camo C5s never stopped after turning onto the runway and made a rolling takeoff. That was exciting!)

Believe it or not, those C5 takeoffs (I probably saw a half-dozen over the years) were not the loudest aircraft takeoffs I've ever heard. That honor belongs to a B-52H that I managed to see take off directly over my head after an airshow at Van Nuys Airport. At the show I spoke with the pilots, who told me what time they were leaving the next morning, so I called-in late to work, parked my car and walked along the fence until I was directly under the takeoff path at the south end of the runway. Sure enough, the B-52 started its takeoff roll at exactly the time the pilot told me it would (SAC crews are meticulous about time) and flew directly over my head, no more than two or three hundred feet up. It was probably the loudest sustained sound I've ever heard in my life. Awesome, indeed.

During my 8 years working as an F-22 flight test director I sat about 20' from the aircraft in an UN-insulated, metal trailer house with plexiglass window. Doing burner runs was a "blast". This photo is from the test cell but you get the idea.

Watching SR-71s do touch and goes was a thrill as well. Their afterburners left distinct flame holder rings.

f-22-raptor-12.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, hsosdrummer said:

I didn't personally witness this, but here's a photo of an SR-71 J58 engine under full afterburner test. (The afterburner gets kinda hot...)

J58-AB_1.jpg.64a5f479ea5f405014f88de93de46637.jpg

P.S. Those F22 engine tests must've been f-ing LOUD!

IIRC it was either 135 or 155dB in the trailer on single burner we couldn't do dual burner due to hold back limitations.