Rf7 vs rp-280f

17 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

Kind of got mixed reviews can somebody give me a little bit clearer answer between the rf7 I and the RP - 280f. 

RF-7 = super bright and fatiguing

RP-280F = technically a less capable tweeter that is much smaller in terms of surface area, but they are much more comfortable in terms of listening fatigue and sound more laid back.  

14 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

Kind of got mixed reviews can somebody give me a little bit clearer answer between the rf7 I and the RP - 280f. I know the rf7 is a step above but the 280's are 2 generations newer so I don't know what significance that has.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The RF-7 is/was the flagship model in the Reference line.  Professional grade 1.75" compression driver combined with a pair of 10" woofers made for one seriously dynamic speaker that can take pretty much whatever you throw at it.  Big following when they were first introduced as well as today.  High demand for the 7's and the relentless "pressure" on Klipsch to bring them back into production, is what led to the releasing of the RF-7II.  Even though the RP-280F is a fine speaker also, it still remains second in line behind the much more costly and better performing RF-7II.

Bill

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

but very few people like the original RF-7's

Not meaning here to be disrespectful, but that is a very bold statement that I don't think is very accurate.  Yes the original RF-7 did have some critics but overall, it was well received then as well as now.  Still in pretty high demand today.  I would say the RF-7II kept what was great about the RF-7 and improved on what was not as great.

Bill

• Like 2

Yeah I really don't want to go above the $1,000 price point. It's really easy to just say it's only a few hundred more dollars and before you know it you're looking at a pair of k horns trying to justify it. That said I'm going to keep doing my research and saving money just in case I find some deals around black Friday especially since the rf7 lll's are coming out this year. My other concern is adding to the system in the future. I might be able to save up to get the rf7's but then we're talking another $1200 for the center Channel and I still need to get a sub and receiver which would far exceed my budget. [emoji17]

I am one that did the transistor mod and later reversed it.  I liked the RF 7 as it was manufactured.  The biggest difference between the RF 7 and RF 7 II IMO is the midrange is better in the RF 7 II and the bass is more pronounced in the origninal RF 7.

41 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

Yeah I really don't want to go above the $1,000 price point.

I agree with your idea of setting your budget and sticking to it.  The one note I would add to the RF-7 comments is there is a VERY easy (and cheap, like $10) mod to the RF-7 that is well known around these parts that will take the harshness out of that tweeter.  EDIT:  Derrick, my comment was not a reaction to yours, directly upstream ^^^.  My post "passed" yours.  I read your post afterwards.

You might try offering $800 to the seller and voice your concerns, no warranty, parts may have gotten old and brittle, rubber surrounds could have deteriorated, that sort of thing.  It may help soften the Seller to know that you are not trying to low ball him.  Always give the other guy a chance to say "yes."

Once you have a top of the line L/R which the RF-7 certainly is, you can pick up used stuff such as subs and center if you are willing to wait for them to come onto the market in your price range.  Deals are out there.

Are those things you mentioned really things I need to sorry about? Apparently they have been sitting there for 11years so is there a chance that they have deteriorated? Also there still in the box so I doubt that they will have a receiver for me to demo them.

There is a fair amount of difference between the IIs and regular RF 7s.  That's why you need to gauge, including the room size.  You can get 280s easily for $850 for the pair new which many folks would consider sounding better than standard RF 7s.

It is extremely difficult to compare a speaker from a You Tube video.  With that itsaid both speake.rs were very good.  This is just me, but I would take the RF 7's over the 280's.  I say this because with the SC 99, the brightness can be tamed and the sparkle preserve.  The preamp/avr will make things right if it is capable.  The RF 7 is a flagship speaker and don't put it with a cheap preamp.  If you do, don't ask why.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

I found this video. What's everyone's thoughts?

I personally didn't get much out of it.  The song didn't have much nuance or dynamics, and how can you tell if electronic music is accurate or not?  OTOH I can listen to a trumpet and tell you if that's what a trumpet sounds like.  Or trombone, or tuba.  The human voice is also hard to accurately reproduce.

What is more important is what YOU think.  It would be ideal if you could hear speakers side-by-side with your music in your house, but of course that's not usually possible.

What it may help to remember is Klipsch holds its resale value very well.  If you got the RF-7 for $800-900 you could probably sell them for just about what you have in them if you don't like the sound.  Just a thought.

12 hours ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

Are those things you mentioned really things I need to sorry about? Apparently they have been sitting there for 11years so is there a chance that they have deteriorated? Also there still in the box so I doubt that they will have a receiver for me to demo them.

I'm not sure if those are things to worry about but you are certainly buying old speakers without a warranty. 

My angle was that if you simply offer the Seller less money for no reason the Seller could become insulted that you are trying to low ball him and he won't deal with you.  If you offer reasons or concerns about the speakers, he may find your concerns reasonable and be willing to negotiate.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

Yeah I know it's not an ideal comparison but I can't find much on the rf7's. But the rf7's seem more clear and crisp to me. At least in the video but who knows how they are in person

Well, they are, the compression driver is way nicer.  The way they are crossed over though is very fatiguing to many / several / some people though.  However I wouldn't judge jack crap based on a youtube video.  But yes if you ran them side by side and played some shattering glass at high volume, you'd notice a big difference.  RP-280F just doesn't have that extra sparkle.  

• Like 3