JBL2445J, EVhp640 with Lascala Bass Bin

albertli

Hi,

An old newbie cruise along all forums for a few month and end up brought the above drivers and horns from ebay. Hope all knowledgeable souls would give a hand on my project. Any suggestion will be appreciated. I'm open to everything provided and my intention is a two way from start, and see if I have to go the 3 ways route after try.

I would build a Full Lascala box and use the mid/high section for bass mod. Would like to go active for better integration. I have been reading lots of threads and know that some members take the ' Eminence Kappa 15c ' as one of the alternatives. I'd really want to try this bass drivers for its cost, but don't know if it is good for the purpose of the bass mod. As of the information, the JBL 2445J is pretty rough in the high regions. I therefore would like to have some advice on how I could make it smoother, or else I have to buy a pair of tweeter to suit. Is 700hz a good point to cross?

Thanks in advance

Albert

IMG_20170518_070146.jpg

IMG_20170518_070228~2.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a great sounding horn. I have not heard it with that driver. I am currently using the EV dh1a, the Fatail pro hf200 has been my favorite. I have crossed at both 500 and 600 hz and couldn't tell much difference. If you want to go 3 way and full active, there are a couple reasonable active crossovers out there. I am running the cast frame woofers from Bob Crites in my Belle clones. To be honest, i would go for a good sub like the TT low profile, instead of the bass mod. I think in the end you will find your path rewarding.

21cc5392c09a8116f1681628aaeee5a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

oh..it takes too long the time for me to figure out the details of the LS plan. I have the boxes partly built and hope they make some noise asap.

I'm going to put 2 4" vent in 71/2". Is it at the range? The drivers are Eminence Kappa 15c. Thanks

IMG_20170611_174100.jpg

I heard about the goodies of the Faital pro, but my budget limit my choice. I don't normally play it loud, about 85-90db the most.

Can you please let me know which two active crossovers you would recommend.

Thanks

I use the Ashley protea 3.24, the older model to the 3.6. These have 3 in 6 out, inputs/outputs. I have read good reviews on the EV dx 38 and dc one. I see alot of people jumping on the Xlica brand recently..

The active crossovers mentioned above will allow the EQ also. You will need EQ since these are constant dispersion horns (they need a high end boost). 

The HP640 is a favorite of mine, as is the JBL 24xx series of drivers. My suggestion is to cross lower than 700Hz (the JBL can handle it). The La Scala bass bin will struggle to go that high anyway. I have used the JBL in a two way and there was no problem with the high end. 

Do not try and EQ and set the crossovers "by ear". Get yourself an inexpensive microphone  learn how to use HolmImpulse (available free - see the threads at DIYaudio).

As far as the woofer, the stock K-33 is fine. The woofer is not the weak link in a La Scala.

Good Luck and this should be an interesting project. 

8 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

The active crossovers mentioned above will allow the EQ also. You will need EQ since these are constant dispersion horns (they need a high end boost). 

The HP640 is a favorite of mine, as is the JBL 24xx series of drivers. My suggestion is to cross lower than 700Hz (the JBL can handle it). The La Scala bass bin will struggle to go that high anyway. I have used the JBL in a two way and there was no problem with the high end. 

Do not try and EQ and set the crossovers "by ear". Get yourself an inexpensive microphone  learn how to use HolmImpulse (available free - see the threads at DIYaudio).

As far as the woofer, the stock K-33 is fine. The woofer is not the weak link in a La Scala.

Good Luck and this should be an interesting project. 

Thanks Tom,  

I know the EV640 is a 500hz horn but not sure if it could sound real good cross at 500hz.  My plan is to cross at 600hz. Can the LS goes that high? 

Albert

Particle-board, particle-board, twice as heavy and half as strong, particle board.

I have used 3/4" industrial particle board with 1/4" plywood glued on top, cheap, strong, non-resonant, looks good.

Trim the exposed edges with solid wood.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom,  

I know the EV640 is a 500hz horn but not sure if it could sound real good cross at 500hz.  My plan is to cross at 600hz. Can the LS goes that high? 

Albert

I have crossed at 500 and 600 with the result not being much different.

" I know the EV640 is a 500hz horn but not sure if it could sound real good cross at 500hz.  My plan is to cross at 600hz. Can the LS goes that high?  "

The 2445 starts to sound good at about 650hz, and a LaScala can make it that high.

Crites stamped-frame driver:

037f91bb_DIRAC_LEGACY_01.jpeg

With some padding behind driver:

81772e3f_DIRAC_LEGACY_PADDED_02.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djk said:

Particle-board, particle-board, twice as heavy and half as strong, particle board.

I have used 3/4" industrial particle board with 1/4" plywood glued on top, cheap, strong, non-resonant, looks good.

Trim the exposed edges with solid wood.

Good hint.  Thanks

15 hours ago, djk said:

" I know the EV640 is a 500hz horn but not sure if it could sound real good cross at 500hz.  My plan is to cross at 600hz. Can the LS goes that high?  "

The 2445 starts to sound good at about 650hz, and a LaScala can make it that high.

Crites stamped-frame driver:

037f91bb_DIRAC_LEGACY_01.jpeg

With some padding behind driver:

81772e3f_DIRAC_LEGACY_PADDED_02.jpeg

Thanks for the tips.  I have a cx3400 to try,  could check on any point recommended.  I came across the thread you mentioned about lining the dog house with 1" foam.  Will it be better if I block the sharp angle inside the dog house? 

Thanks again 

Albert