Received r115sw - slight damage, how to know if speaker damaged?

Texox

So I received my r115sw today via ups and they apparently did not take as good of care of the package as I hoped.  The box had some slight wear and tear, but nothing too concerning. However, when I opened the box the styrofoam package was cracked and broken apart on the top back side of the sub. There is slight damage on the top back corner on one side of the sub. It is slight, about the size of my thumb nail, but enough of an eye soar. It looks like  the stryofoam was broken enough to slide down the side of the box and the sub was dropped or something thrown on top of it that caused the damage.  See attached picture.

My question: how likely is it that the actual components and sound quality will be damaged and should I send the sub back? Will I be able to hear the issue if something is wrong? Frankly, the cosmetic damage is not that big of a deal to me and it's in the back, which will be pressed up against the wall, but I am concerned if the speaker itself will be damaged.  

Thoughts? 

IMG_4383.JPG

You paid for a new sub, you deserve to get a brand new sub in perfect condition.  I would send it back.  BUT...

...but if you feel you can live with it you might pursue a claim with UPS.  I wouldn't settle for any less than a refund of 50% of the sub's price.

EDIT:  BTW, make your claim with both UPS and the Seller NOW.  If you wait you might forfeit your right to get any compensation for their mishandling of your sub.

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You paid for a new sub, you deserve to get a brand new sub in perfect condition.  I would send it back.  BUT...

...but if you feel you can live with it you might pursue a claim with UPS.  I wouldn't settle for any less than a refund of 50% of the sub's price.

EDIT:  BTW, make your claim with both UPS and the Seller NOW.  If you wait you might forfeit your right to get any compensation for their mishandling of your sub.

Yeah, I agree. I guess my biggest concern is will it effect the sound quality of the sub? If it is only cosmetic, which looks to be the case, then I am not as concerned about sending it back and could just file a claim.  But if the sub could actually be broken, then obviously I want to send it back.  I purchased through Amazon and have never returned anything before or filed a claim. I don't even know where to begin. 

Edited by Texox
  • Like 1

Damaged Package Claims Process

1.gif
Damaged Packages
Damage to a package can be reported by a shipper, recipient, or by UPS. After a damage inspection is performed by UPS, the shipper of record is contacted with the results. Depending on the results, the shipper can file a claim for the repair or replacement cost of the package contents up to the declared value.

1. Damage Reported

A shipper or recipient can report a package that has been damaged during shipment. The shipper can also submit documentation in support of the claim online, or by fax or mail, at the time damage is reported.  In the event that a damaged package is discovered while still in the UPS system, we will notify the shipper of record and provide details. Once damage has been reported, you can check the status of the claim online, anytime.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/claims/hlp/damage_process.html

My best guess is the sound quality will not be affected. 

I have never filed a UPS claim either.  I googled it.  I would also file a claim with Amazon.

• Like 1

There's really no way to know for sure except to turn it on and test it.  I very much agree with WVU that you ordered a new item and it's not new.  If you had to sell it right now, would you be OK showing someone the scratch or would you rather have it perfect?  

• Like 1

File with Amazon now. I've done two clams with them. It takes time but the get the job sone ups and usps are a pain I. The *** to file with. I have a amp that was boxed at one of their stores and got damaged and they still wanted to deny then clam. I even has a video of the store clerk packing it to show them, that took almost 8 months to resolve , but in the end I finally won

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sub likely works just fine and the damage, while any at all is irritating could have been significantly worse. If you plan on keeping this sub for the long term it may be more hassle and time consuming than its worth to send it back and hope the next one doesn't show up in worse condition or completely destroyed. If it were me I'd file a claim as suggested above and ask for a partial refund to cover the damage and go from there. In the mean time plug it in and enjoy! PS after taking plenty of pictures for the claim of course.

Yeah these things don't need to be shipped via UPS.  Too much damage occurs, and when it does occur, UPS tries to say that the box doesn't meet their guidelines, which technically it doesn't.  Supposed to be fully encapsulated with foam, which it is not.  The box is so clumsy that it's easy for damage to happen.  They're supposed to use two guys since it's over 70 pounds but that doesn't happen.  Internet guys play a numbers game anyway, but this is one situation where it's just not worth the hassle.  Really needs to be shipped via pallet on an 18 wheeler.  

I will say though, that's an odd spot to get damage like that, right on the corner like that is where a bunch of foam is.  How damaged is the foam that was covering this up?  Your picture of the box looks pretty undamaged in that area which is real curious.  For damage like that to happen via shipping, your second picture ought to have that whole cardboard corner pretty much destroyed.  Yet, it looks untouched.  Why is that?  Seriously doubt UPS would pay for that.