How's the bass from the rf7's

With everything being equal, the edge goes to the larger same quality woofer.  The RF 7 will be in a 3rd generation for good reason.  The real question is will it make a difference in your room?  With my last calibration my RF 7 II's are XO at 100 Hz which is gaining my acceptance as the best XO in my system?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

With everything being equal, the edge goes to the larger same quality woofer.  The RF 7 will be in a 3rd generation for good reason.  The real question is will it make a difference in your room?  With my last calibration mu RF 7 II's are XO at 100 Hz which is gaining my acceptance as the best XO in my system?

With 8 subs I can understand why you have them set at 100 hz.  Most of us will be lucky to set our mains at 80, or slightly lower, to achieve good reproduction.  Your setup is sort of an anomaly compared to most.  I would believe that the RF-7 III would best my KG 5.5's on a few levels.  Better sonic quality over years of design, height as far as driver, axis response, and better horn design.  Let's face it the RF-7 runs two active 10's versus two 8's with a larger cabinet design.  The RF-7 is designed to envelope you in sound, the RP-280F is to me, a great front runner in a smaller room with HT considerations.  Don't get me wrong, the RF-7 will work just as well with movies/music but for me it would be a big difference with music.  My vote is for the RF-7.

• Like 2

I'm completely happy with the bass from my RF-7s.  Haven't heard the RP-280F model. I'd guess the 280 will have a more laid back sound, meaning less treble than the 7. That may influence the perceived bass presence. I remember adding a sub for the first time....it sounded like the treble improved as well.

Agree with ACV92 and derrick, the RF-7 has larger woofers and will deliver what you want in most any size residential room.  The RF-7 is 30 lbs heavier than the 280. Weight isn't everything but it does give a sense of materials used.

To my ear (and in my room!) the 280 always sounded polite about bass. No doubt about range, the bass is certainly there, but used on their own with no sub it's not really bass that you feel.

Of course, I also use them in a smaller room (non ideal) somewhat close to back walls (likely also not ideal since they are rear-ported) so that may be a contributing factor.

I'd call it fine bass for a lot of music, but I liked mine even more with a sub

I agree the 7s can sound a bit treble, especially in a live room.    Most of my friends with 7s simply put a bit of EQ into play and calm them down a bit.   I think in a well damped room they are perfect as they come.  Either way they out play my 82ii(s) and the 280.

• Like 2