Amplifier Question

Hello! I am new to the world of speakers and Klipsch. 

I bought a pair of RP-160M Bookshelf speakers but I still could not find the right amplifier for this. 

According to this page on official Klipsch website, it says that I need an amplifier that matches the power handling of the speaker, which is 100W @ 8 Ohms. But when I was researching on the forum, I've read that many people power their speakers even with 5W amplifiers. So I got really confused. 

I was considering this one after researching because I really liked the look of it. It is a tube amplifier around $100. But I am afraid it may be too small of an amplifier. 

(https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=16153&gclid=CjwKEAjw3pTJBRChgZ3e7s_YhAkSJAASG9VrDYqisnO5yEIWFJQTk5VfiOCU-suu_3V4kS7TZWFo2hoC9hnw_wcB)

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for the right amplifier for RP-160M speakers. Since I am a beginner, I wanted to find something around $100. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. Do you need an amp, or an amp and preamp...an integrated amp or even a receiver?

What other components are you looking to hook up? A turntable?...a cd player?...etc

This can help us point you in the right direction.

That monoprice amp is a hybrid: tube pre amp, ss amp stage.  It's still a bit modestly powered for RP-160's IMO.  The low power amps we discuss are typically used with much larger and more sensitive Klipsch Heritage models, although if yours is a strictly near-field type setup it may actually work for you.  (Tell us more about the specifics of your rig.)

For $100, you'll have to either DIY or get something on the used market.  An AVR that's a few years old but otherwise sufficient power-wise would suffice, and they're dime-a-dozen.

You might also ask for you want, maybe somebody on the forum has an amp sitting around they might want to move.  Try posting a WTB thread in the Klipsch Garage Sale sub-forum.

Another forum with an active Classified section is http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/

Here's Parts-express:  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/free-classifieds

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

You might also ask for you want, maybe somebody on the forum has an amp sitting around they might want to move.  Try posting a WTB thread in the Klipsch Garage Sale sub-forum.

Another forum with an active Classified section is http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/

"You might also ask for you want" Obviously you have been at SOU too long doc. Get back to Parkersburg ASAP

:D:D:D

Mark

• Like 1

You might want to consider an Audio Video Receiver, aka AVR.  It can take the signal from your TV and power multiple speakers such as Left/Center/Right L/C/R, surround speakers SL and SR, and it has a specific output for a sub-woofer.

What I just described is what is known as 5.1.  Three speakers up front, two on the side and the sub is the .1 channel.  If you have two subs it would be 5.2, generally speaking.

The AVR will have an electronic switch so you can listen to music using only the L/R if you want.

25 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

@ZEUS121996, it's OSU.  The OSU. 

I bleed gold and blue but The Ohio State University pays the bills at the moment.  Sheesh.

You're confusing the hell out of everybody.  :lol::D

:D:D:D If I'm confusing everyone, I'm happy to do so. I would ask you to call me to discuss this and other matters but I'm sure your have your hands full, being from the horseshoe up your ***

Thank you very much for the replies, guys. And thank you for welcoming me so warmly. 

The purpose of this system will be playing music from my phone and watching movies.

I researched about amp, preamp, integrated amp, and receiver because I was still not clear on the differences. Based on what I've read, an audio receiver is capable of powering the speakers and receive inputs from external devices. If this is correct, this is exactly what I need. And wvu80's recommendation looks like it will be a great match to RP-160. And I wanted to additionally purchase R-12SWI subwoofer and it looks like I can do that on the Yamaha RX-V659, which I am really excited about. Since it is an wireless subwoofer and has a built in amplifier, I can connect the trasmitter that comes with the woofer and plug it into pre out of the Yamaha receiver. Is that correct?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will try to provide more spec on the speakers but I am not sure which ones are important ones. 

RP-160 (Bookshelf Speakers)

Sensitivity: 96dB @ 2.83V / 1m

Power Handling: 100W/400W

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms Compatible

R-10SW (Subwoofer)

Maximum Acoustic Output: 116dB

Amplifier Power: 200W / 400W

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For brians7's recommended Adcom GFA-535, can I use this 3.5MM STEREO MALE TO 2 RCA MALES to connect it to my phone and play music from there? The reviews look great but this one does not seem to have LFE out. So I guess if I were to use this amplifier, I would not be able to use R-10SW sub?

This is the link to the cable: https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-3-5mm-Audio-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B06XC5KWJN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495698212&sr=8-3&keywords=3.5MM+STEREO+MALE+TO+2+RCA+MALES+6"+Y+CABLE

Again thank you guys for the answers. I really appreciate them. :D 

2 hours ago, dbshin310 said:

The purpose of this system will be playing music from my phone and watching movies.

I researched about amp, preamp, integrated amp, and receiver because I was still not clear on the differences. Based on what I've read, an audio receiver is capable of powering the speakers and receive inputs from external devices. If this is correct, this is exactly what I need. And wvu80's recommendation looks like it will be a great match to RP-160.

--------------

R-10SW (Subwoofer)

Maximum Acoustic Output: 116dB

Amplifier Power: 200W / 400W

--------------

For brians7's recommended Adcom GFA-535, can I use this 3.5MM STEREO MALE TO 2 RCA MALES to connect it to my phone and play music from there? The reviews look great but this one does not seem to have LFE out.

So I guess if I were to use this amplifier, I would not be able to use R-10SW sub?

That is correct, you cannot use that particular Klipsch sub with an standard 2-channel receiver, or an integrated amp.  You must have an AVR which has a dedicated subwoofer output, usually via a single RCA cable.   If you get the wireless sub it will have the wireless module included.

And I wanted to additionally purchase R-12SWI subwoofer and it looks like I can do that on the Yamaha RX-V659, which I am really excited about. Since it is an wireless subwoofer and has a built in amplifier, I can connect the trasmitter that comes with the woofer and plug it into pre out of the Yamaha receiver. Is that correct?

Yes.

Thank you wvu80 for the reply :)

On 5/25/2017 at 5:56 AM, wvu80 said:

That is correct, you cannot use that particular Klipsch sub with an standard 2-channel receiver, or an integrated amp.  You must have an AVR which has a dedicated subwoofer output, usually via a single RCA cable.   If you get the wireless sub it will have the wireless module included.

Yes.

After considering your answers, I've decided to go with Yamaha RX‑V381, which has 5.1 channel, a dedicated subwoofer output, and HDMI, which are all perfect for my needs. I just bought it today at BestBuy!

I have only one more question. On the spec sheet, it says that Rx-V381 has Rated Output of 100W (8 Ohms). And Maximum Effective Output of 130W/ch (8 Ohms). I am curious what the difference between Rated Output and Maximum Effective Output and if 130W/ch would be harmful for my speakers. 

Again, thank you so much for the reply!

10 hours ago, dbshin310 said:

After considering your answers, I've decided to go with Yamaha RX‑V381, which has 5.1 channel, a dedicated subwoofer output, and HDMI, which are all perfect for my needs. I just bought it today at BestBuy!

I have only one more question. On the spec sheet, it says that Rx-V381 has Rated Output of 100W (8 Ohms). And Maximum Effective Output of 130W/ch (8 Ohms). I am curious what the difference between Rated Output and Maximum Effective Output and if 130W/ch would be harmful for my speakers. 

The difference in RMS (continuous) and burst (peak) power is accounted for in the speaker design, so there would be no problem.

Your amp is certified at 100 wpc but honestly it would drive the entire family out of the house if you played the efficient Klipsch speakers at that Sound Pressure Level (SPL) for very long.  Even if you were playing the AVR at its max an occasional burst (explosions, etc) to 130 wpc for a short time won't hurt it a bit.