WTB- AA crossovers

jimjimbo

• 3 weeks later...

The ones at the top of this thread from west coast look perfect.  Original and ready to recap.  Those can be made to look like new with full disassemble and reuse of only the terminal strip and coils, and autoformer, cleanup, and cap replacement.  Just did a pair that looked like that and they look brand new now.  The original 40 year old Klipsch wiring has been perfect on every one of the old neworks I have played with.  Silver, still perfect inside.

When washed, the paint on the boards is even perfect.  Toothbrush on the terminal strip.  Dirty is fine to start with.  Original is what you want.

3 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

The ones at the top of this thread from west coast look perfect.  Original and ready to recap.  Those can be made to look like new with full disassemble and reuse of only the terminal strip and coils, and autoformer, cleanup, and cap replacement.  Just did a pair that looked like that and they look brand new now.  The original 40 year old Klipsch wiring has been perfect on every one of the old neworks I have played with.  Silver, still perfect inside.

When washed, the paint on the boards is even perfect.  Toothbrush on the terminal strip.  Dirty is fine to start with.  Original is what you want.

Those specific components are no longer available.

All you need is 3 caps.........or your choice.  a 13uF, and two 2uf for each board...........and a toothbrush.  :)

You can use exotic caps or some Daytons.........which sound fine.

You probably won't find a good set of oil caps from that vintage that are still on spec.

I have a couple of pairs of Heresys with very clean networks and the shiny oil caps were still bad.  I think you gotta let those go.

8 hours ago, mark1101 said:

You probably won't find a good set of oil caps from that vintage that are still on spec.

I've used Genteq caps with great results.  They keep the vintage look as well.  I had Bob measure them and even he was impressed.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, avguytx said:

Dang. Have those been on fire? 

Mine looked almost as bad, in the yard speakers, redone now. They were bought used with plans to redo, just a cap change was a huge difference.  DIY split LaScala tops and Mark1101's MWM bass bins, sounds good together.speakers-1 (2).JPG