Where should I put my Danley DTS-10?

My Tom Danley DTS-10 Sub will be here this Friday. Where in the room should I put it? No WAF involved! I'll put it wherever it's going to sound best. I guess there can be a problem with delay if I put it in the wrong place. What I have for a system so far is listed below... I'll post pic's of my living room. It's 37' x 16' with 8' ceiling. Speakers are 16' apart & in my seated possession on my couch my head is 13' away from each speaker.     Thank You!    Bill

20170525_000448_resized_1 (1).jpg

LOL, unfortunately the only thing 'scantly clad' around my house is me... It's a couple inches to high to go under TV. But it will go to the left of the TV against the wall. What's the deal with 'delay"? If the sub is centered & close the front speakers does this prevent delay? Haven't played it yet. Just tonight painted the Bins. Had to repaint after I put 3/4" plywood on the sides to stiffen the bins up. I have everything needed so I'll get on it tomorrow. Oh, and I'm renting a pallet jack from Home Depot to move the speaker in plus I have someone to help me.    Thank You!   Bill

Yea, if you're using an AV receiver or preamp, I'd crank in an additional 21 feet to the distance of the DTS-10's mouth from your listening position to make up for the internal horn path length delay. This will align the impulse of the sub with your other loudspeakers, making for a crisper sound on drum and sound effect impacts.

I'd try the DTS-10 on the front wall with the mouth close to the television--for closest proximity to the La Scalas, since you'll probably be crossing at 60 Hz or above, and separating the DTS-10 from the La Scala bass bins by several feet might cause bass location issues.  You'll probably also have to EQ the DTS-10 through one frequency response null in the 35-60 Hz band.

If that doesn't work, then the next likely position would be along the right wall, to the side of the right La Scala, but with the mouth as close to the "room corner" as possible. 

The third choice that I'd try is in the back right corner behind your couch, and pushing your couch away from the back wall (something that I'd recommend in any case to get away from the boundary effect of that back wall).  The mouth could be tried in the corner or centered along the baseboard behind the couch.

In all cases, I'd make sure that the DTS-10 mouth is on the floor level and the unit is within 6-12 inches of the wall, or even touching the wall/corner...in order to get the most out of boundary gain.  You'll have to use some room correction software (like Audyssey, Dirac, YPAO, etc.) to smooth the subwoofer frequency response at your listening position.

Chris

Thank You Chris! I've got someone stopping by Sunday to help me flip the sub 180 degrees & then I'll push it up agains't the wall. And Richard, thank you for painting it to pretty much match my walls. I checked with all the scantly clad bikini girls who hang around my house & they said it was 'close enough'....   

20170527_003806_resized.jpg

Looks like it got there in fine shape! :emotion-21:

I took those pre-departure pictures in case it arrived in pieces so I could show it was at least picked up as one piece.

Heavy bugger, huh?

By the way...  I like what I see of your floor.  

They packaged it up pretty good... Only problem was the bottom of the pallet was made out of particle board! So it just broke apart pushing it up the ramp. But got it in ok, by myself too... I'm getting help to flip it 180 degrees...   

20170526_103517_resized_1.jpg

There are (??) 6-8 screws that hold the black grate on.  You can feel them from the backside (T-nuts)

The tape covers most of them and....the grate itself is a bit in the way of them lining up nicely.

Still....if you find any buzzing with that grate, there should be a way to tighten it down a bit.

The unit here doesn't buzz at all and has similar screw setup (ie, several screws missing and the holes not lining up nicely with the hole pattern on the grate)