Klipsch KP-2500 trapezoid

Lasz

Hi,

A guy is offering to sell me his KP-2500 trapezoid speakers.

Now this probably sounds like a stupid question, but do they have the exact same drivers and network as the standard rectangular KP-2500C?

I ask this because I'll be using them for parts, so I need to be 100% sure they have the same drivers. I'm guessing they do, but just in case is why I'm asking...

Thanks in advance,

Laszlo From the Netherlands

Well, it looks like I'll be doing that myself this evening. The guy has four of them and apparently only wants to sell all four of them in one go, so if they're all ok, I guess I'll be buying four of them and will try to sell two of them on.

Basically all I need them for is the tweeters to replace the wrong ones in my Forté IIs. Maybe I'll use the K-42 woofers and find/fabricate some Chorus II networks for a conversion project which peeked my interest a while ago...

Hopefully they'll be up to snuff because I can't seem to find any info about a trapezoid version of the KP-2500-C. The drivers don't even seem to be flush with the cabinet, as can be seen in the picture, which seems weird... They are Klipsch branded though, so i guess we'll just have to wait and see...

(photos were sent to me by the owner)

$_852.JPG

$_853.JPG

• Like 1

Well, I picked them up, all four of them and they turned out to be genuine Klipsch KP-2500-C speakers! Even have a a sticker with the model number on.

Good news: I finally have the right tweeters in my Forte IIs and installed Bob Crites' titanium diaphragms which I had laying around for a few months now.

Bad news: I think one of the woofers might be stuck. after listening to the speakers the owner lifted one up to show how heavy they are and then dropped it a bit roughly on the floor. When i gently push the cone I can feel resistance and a light scraping sound can be heard.

Gotta fix me some phono jacks to test it but I haven't much hope...

DSC_6746.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lasz said:

Bad news: I think one of the woofers might be stuck. after listening to the speakers the owner lifted one up to show how heavy they are and then dropped it a bit roughly on the floor. When i gently push the cone I can feel resistance and a light scraping sound can be heard.

The scraping you hear is the voice coil rubbing.  It's been overheated and melted.  Time to find a replacement.  A majority of all the pro style speakers I've purchased over the years has had some type of abuse induced damage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lasz said:

thing is, they all sounded fine before he dropped one of them...

Do you think maybe the coil got misaligned due to the shock of being dropped a bit too rough on a concrete floor??

I would think the basket bent then and the magnet shifted.

3 hours ago, Lasz said:

thing is, they all sounded fine before he dropped one of them...

Do you think maybe the coil got misaligned due to the shock of being dropped a bit too rough on a concrete floor??

I would think it would take a tremendous amount of force to bend a woofer basket, chances are the woofer was on its way out to begin with and just finally gave up or perhaps you just didn't notice the one rubbing before somehow? As stated above these pro speakers are often rode hard and put away wet pretty much their entire lives. Good news is the woofers are still available new are reasonably cheap to replace.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eminence-Delta-Pro-12A-12-Cast-Frame-Driver-/321486589967?hash=item4ada18100f:g:lGoAAOSwVFlT9KOZ