"Cheap tube amp for Cornwall"?

Northman

37 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

ahhh those F'ing Chinese the damn thing probably sounds okay to boot! Hell the damn thing has VU meter at $83 This really is a frustrating business LOL!!!

That is a hybird amp.  I tried my old hybird amp  rated at 80 watts on a pair of Cornwalls.  It did OK  but, could not handle that big bass driver nearing loud level.  So, it may and may not work.  A sub can be used to help take the load off of it but, many 2 ch people want a full range sound from the speakers.

12 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I tried my old hybird amp  rated at 80 watts on a pair of Cornwalls.  It did OK  but, could not handle that big bass driver nearing loud level.

Question: Can anyone help me understand what makes some amps with fewer watts sufficiently power a (larger) driver that other, more powerful amps cannot?

What else is going on (besides watt ratings) that accounts for this difference?

EDIT: Larger output transformers? Power supply?--Is that the difference? If so, can you tell by looking at the spec sheet? What does that look like?

4 hours ago, Endo said:

Question: Can anyone help me understand what makes some amps with fewer watts sufficiently power a (larger) driver that other, more powerful amps cannot?

What else is going on (besides watt ratings) that accounts for this difference?

I can't explain it but, the amp was a good amp and I'd kept.  It drove my Forte and RF 7 speakers with two 10 in. drivers without problems.  The RF 7's even have a low impedance of 2.7 ohms.

It is my guess that the hybrids act more like SS amps at high power demands since they usually have a SS rear and tube preamp section.

10 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

The RF 7's even have a low impedance of 2.7 ohms.

Before reading this, I didn't know Ohms were directly related to damping. At least that part makes sense now. Stopping and starting anything is going to be more difficult if there is more of it to contend with, I guess. Not the same, I'm sure; but, reminds me of inertia.

EDIT: High impedence headphones... Oooooh, I see.