SET owner in the Chicago area?

jimjimbo

I have been reading so much and hearing so much from other folks that I know about the magic of the SET low wattage amplifiers that I am very intrigued and definitely want to hear one. Perhaps one of the folks that attends the Chicago get together at some point this summer could bring one along as a comparison to some of the other things that might be in attendance. Anyone of you guys have one of those that you would like to bring along? And if they incorporate number 45 tubes, even better. I have a decent selection of very nice 45 tubes that I could bring as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I have been reading so much and hearing so much from other folks that I know about the magic of the SET low wattage amplifiers that I am very intrigued and definitely want to hear one. Perhaps one of the folks that attends the Chicago get together at some point this summer could bring one along as a comparison to some of the other things that might be in attendance. Anyone of you guys have one of those that you would like to bring along? And if they incorporate number 45 tubes, even better. I have a decent selection of very nice 45 tubes that I could bring as well.

Once you fall in love with this topology, you can send me all those crappy old macs you've acquired over the years.

14 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Jim my amp which you've heard on my cornwalls is a SET. Technically speaking its a SEP single ended pentode. It runs EL34's as the power tubes.  

1 hour ago, Lemon string said:

Jim my amp which you've heard on my cornwalls is a SET. Technically speaking its a SEP single ended pentode. It runs EL34's as the power tubes.  

I think I'm going to have to pay more attention the next time we are at your place!

3 minutes ago, sheltie dave said:

Jim, we are having a big shindig this weekend in St. Louis. You can listen to eight SET amps, buy one, and take it home.

Oh wow, I wish I could!  Are the amps commercially made, kits, homemade, or?

Welborne 300b, Opera Consonance 211, Sun Audio SV2A3, custom 2A3 stereo integrated, Horus based 2A3 monos, Handmade Electronics WE91A 300b monos, Sean Casper 5998 stereo, and a couple other custom amps. We will be running them on Klipsch RF7s and Altec 19s downstairs, and IMF Reference 80s upstairs. Check my thread in two channel...

• Like 1