RC-3 II shutting off stereo receiver

Hello everyone,

I need some help. I power the rc 3 with a yamaha S 201 stereo receiver. Im running this speaker alone. I use it for work(loud shop).

I've been using it for a while and today it just shut off, the receiver :( . Thing is that it will power back up only at very low volumes. If i turn it up, the receiver shuts down. When i turn it back on it displays "Check SP Wires". So to double check the issue I brought it home to hooked it up to my A-1050 AV Receiver and it played to moderate volume and then receiver shut off again. The speaker has bi amp capability so it has for connections. I don't have the original bridges so i purchased some jumper cables, this was the hook up in the shop.. at home I tried the bi wires I have hooked up to the RP 280's and it did the same thing. I tried to rule put everything possible and it seems to be the speaker. Speakers sounds in tact when it plays for the short time. Also it played for a while before this happened.

If it happens with 2 different amps and 2 different sets of wires it's in the speaker itself.  If you've been really cranking it, you may have damaged a voice coil.  I had a similar issue once where I had the wires over the spider touch each other only when played loudly and driver movement was high.  I'd say it's time to open it up and have a look around.  See if you detect any burned electrical type smells as well.

• Like 3

If it happens with 2 different amps and 2 different sets of wires it's in the speaker itself.  If you've been really cranking it, you may have damaged a voice coil.  I had a similar issue once where I had the wires over the spider touch each other only when played loudly and driver movement was high.  I'd say it's time to open it up and have a look around.  See if you detect any burned electrical type smells as well.

I think you might be right. I'm going to open it up tomorrow. It's rated at 200 watts so I'd figured it could handle some heat. Guess it wore out. I turn it pretty loud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

I think you might be right. I'm going to open it up tomorrow. It's rated at 200 watts so I'd figured it could handle some heat. Guess it wore out. I turn it pretty loud.

Incorrect.  I'm not sure of the details on some of the speakers labels, but the RC-3 is rated at 100 Watts...maybe 150.  The RC-7 is rated at 200.

Incorrect.  I'm not sure of the details on some of the speakers labels, but the RC-3 is rated at 100 Watts...maybe 150.  The RC-7 is rated at 200.

The sticker says 200watts. I did notice this discrepancy when looking at pictures of the same speaker. 30d83390bb10d5fd3c4c29b631f443d7.jpg

3 hours ago, BlessedPrince said:

057da9cde8efc461831582b00ee57aea.jpg
The red cable is a little loose. I think this could be the problem. When it vibrates it loses contact.

You're not looking for an open you're looking for a short.

• Like 1

I finally found the culprit! It's the left woofer. I played it while it was disconnected and bam! Didn't turn off. I'm guessing these are discontinued. I guess I'll take my chances on eBay. That's if I can even find it. I purchased this speaker for $75

1 hour ago, BlessedPrince said:

I finally found the culprit! It's the left woofer. I played it while it was disconnected and bam! Didn't turn off. I'm guessing these are discontinued. I guess I'll take my chances on eBay. That's if I can even find it. I purchased this speaker for $75

Try here

http://speakerex.wpengine.com/product/klipsch-rs-3-series-i-rs-3-series-ii-6-5-k-1086-s-woofer-120642/

The difference should only be in the fact that the RS-3's woofer does not have the magnetic cup on the magnet.  I'm verifying this now, but the K-1086 should work...

ETA...not sure of the difference...Klipsch had 3 speakers with 6.5" woofers of that variety: the K-1081, the 1085, and the 1086.  The 1081's were in the RB-3's, the 85's were in the RC-3, and the 86 in the RS-3.  I can't honestly imagine that they're different though.  You might call Klipsch directly and ask, or call Speaker Exchange and ask.

Here's the specs for the RC-3 II direct from Klipsch:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 62Hz-20kHz±3dB
SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING: 150 watts maximum continuous (400 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
TWEETER: K-105-KV 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 6" square 90° x 60° Tractrix® Horn
HF CROSSOVER: 2100Hz
WOOFER: Two K-1085-SV 6.5" (16.51cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame

The difference should only be in the fact that the RS-3's woofer does not have the magnetic cup on the magnet.  I'm verifying this now, but the K-1086 should work...

ETA...not sure of the difference...Klipsch had 3 speakers with 6.5" woofers of that variety: the K-1081, the 1085, and the 1086.  The 1081's were in the RB-3's, the 85's were in the RC-3, and the 86 in the RS-3.  I can't honestly imagine that they're different though.  You might call Klipsch directly and ask, or call Speaker Exchange and ask.

Here's the specs for the RC-3 II direct from Klipsch:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 62Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 150 watts maximum continuous (400 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

TWEETER: K-105-KV 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 6" square 90° x 60° Tractrix[emoji768] Horn

HF CROSSOVER: 2100Hz

WOOFER: Two K-1085-SV 6.5" (16.51cm) Cerametallic[emoji768] cone / cast polymer frame

Thanks. Definitely gonna call when ever I get a chance.