Klipsch rp for small 10x10 approx room

bradymartin

i bought my sister a pair of klipsch rp160s on sale for her record collection, and wow these sound great. i was surprised because all i kept reading they are piercing, too much treble

so now i want to get myself a 3.0 setup for a spare room, maybe run phantom center. movies and music. wont use a sub, i wont be watching big boom action movies. i have a main setup for that.

i was thinking of the 250f and 250c since the room is small, that way i dont have to buy stands if id gone for 160s

the rp line uses the same tweeter in all their speakers correct? i want to make sure i get the same highs as the 160s, and ill be getting more bass from the 250s

is this a good plan for my room and wants

I'd try and work in the RP-260F's if at all possible.  The 6's seem to be the real sweet spot, good space saver with a good punch.  I can't comment on the 250C, but I know I really did not like my RC-52 II which is the grandpappy of the RP-250C.  See if you can track down an RC-62 II to go with those, and you'll have a really killer 3.0 setup.

id rather just stick to the rp line. havent heard the rc62

the 260s are very enticing but the room is small. seems like overkill

though 160s with stands would be $400, plus the 250c would be $650 total.

the 260s with no center $675.

but i love the sound of those 160s

difficult decision

well i dont know anything about the rc62. but you say theyre timbre matched so that confuses me. dont the rp series and the rc62 use different tweeters? and the rc62 are an older design? i like the new rp tweeter, wont the rc62 sound harsh compared to the rp

Edited by bradymartin

1 minute ago, bradymartin said:

well i dont know anything about the rc62. but you say theyre timbre matched so that confuses me. dont the rp series and the rc62 use different tweeters?

They're both titanium tweeters.  You are confusing the Reference II/Reference line with the Icon/Reference line at Best Buy.  They are not interchangeable.

The RC-62 II runs in the same vein as the RC-3 and 35.  The RC-62 or RC-64 would both be phenomenal additions, though the 64 would probably be out of your budget.

Here are a few RC-62's out there now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RC-62-II-Reference-Center-Speaker-Black-/152560658722?hash=item238552e922:g:VJwAAOSwKytZJsHz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RC-62-II-Black-2-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-/162521138863?hash=item25d703c6af:g:LfMAAOSwHsRYEnzZ

And here are the spec's:

http://images.klipsch.com/RC62IIcutsheet_635042119045410000.pdf

Bigger and better than the RP-250C.  You'd be much happier with it.  Driver material will be the same, and the driver size will be the same.

i know nothing about klipsch speakers, but i absolutely love the sound of the 160s i got for my sister.

i read the rp line tweeter is different than the rest of the klipsch line. they made the outer port of some type of rubber instead of aluminum which toned down the harshness of the tweeters. so the 62 tweeter doesnt have the harshness, but same sound as the rp line?

dang it, you threw a kink into my thinking. 

The horn throat is what is different between the II and the RP line.  I am not sure you will hear that difference though.  I have a friend who has RP-280SA towers and an RC-64.  I could not discern any difference across the sound stage in movies.  The 62 is still raved about on here, with good reason.  I think you owe it some serious consideration.

Oh, and if you think that kink is bad...just wait.  Upgrade bugs will find you.  I started on this forum in 2014 with quintets, two RF-3's and a jamo setup...32 Klipsch speakers later...(and other gear)...

i hear you about upgrade bugs. now im thinking about the 450c since you brought up the 62. would the 450c be a better fit since its the same line, though $100 more than the 62. been looking at pricing on the 62. i want to buy new, its $329 cheapest i could find.

damn this hobby if you can call it that.

now i want the 260 towers and 450c and be done with it.

SIGH

Yes the RP250Fs would be great with the RP250C.  

If you want to pay close to half, I've got RF52iis and an RC52ii for sale too at $400 total.  I'm in Chicago.  

They are the model that came right before and imo, are about 95% the same.  I like the RPs just a bit more but would challenge you to hear the difference. 

RK 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradymartin said:

im getting a good deal on the 450 so ill probably go for that and the 260 towers. or just run phantom. still undecided.

New with warranty, that's probably the best bet.

42 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Ugh so much bad advice being given. The 62ii is absolutely NOT timbre matched to the RP line. Not even close. The RP line is MUCH more laid back. 

"Bad advice" - wouldn't say that.  Contrary maybe, but not bad.  I demoed a the 64 with RP's and did not notice any issues with the panning, or tones coming across the front soundstage.  I'm not sure if that's because of the 64's compression driver or DiRAC, but that's what I've heard.