Deoxit on a Crown K2 pot...

Coytee

I have three K2's.

In general, they work perfectly fine.  Every now & then, I'll need/want to adjust the gains.  When I do, I hear scratchy sound and at times, the sound will cut out.  If I wiggle (not rotate but wiggle) the knob a bit, the sound will cut in/out.  If I rotate the knob back/forth, the scratchiness will subside a bit and things will sound/work closer to normal.

Today, I received my first can of Deoxit in the mail.

I have a service manual for these so I'm not flying 100% blind (put it at 80%)

Can I simply remove the knob to have access to spray them or, do I need to remove the chassis cover?  Is the access hole to the pot in the back of the pot?

(the picture of the amp with cover removed seems to show an inner cover that is in the way of the pots although there could be a screw to release it and I just don't see it in the picture)

Also, to 'kill' the amp, I see where it says 

"5.2.2 Power Supply Discharge
Before any connectors and PWAs are removed, the Power Supplies need to be discharged. Follow these simple steps.
1. Make sure the amplifier is unplugged from the AC power source.
2. Locate Test Point 1 (TP1) on the Main PWA. See Figure 5.1.
3. With a flat blade screwdriver or another metal object, short TP1 to the nearest resistor pad. This resistor is the second one from the end of a row of seven 3W resistors. Once the short is made you do not have to hold the screwdriver in place. The initial short triggers a latching triac circuit which discharges the supplies.
4. Wait a few seconds before attempting to disassemble the amplifier."

I was surprised to see it say to just short it and no need to hold short in place.

If I recall, the Deoxit spray is something that will evaporate almost immediately?  (I'm curious how horrific over-spray might be on a circuit board)

Don't know if I'll get to this soon, I'd like to.  

Purchased a 1990 NAD 7155 receiver for $15 and the volume control makes a lot of static when you rotate it. Its getting less with use. Any down side in using Deoxit on all the pots? No owners manual and  I don't know what I'm doing. I read the link. Which Deoxit is recommended. My first NAD and it sounds Great. George

Not knowing there was more than one...  I have my little can of 'D-5'.  Though it looks like the can in the image above, it has a slightly different trigger on top.  It has the tube that can be flipped into or out of the way of the nozzle.

Would I need to get a can of 'F-5' to compliment this?  (interesting that it says cleaner & lube on the can)  I'm guessing it's more solvent with a little lubricant and the F can is more lubricant with little solvent?

On 5/25/2017 at 6:09 PM, Coytee said:

Can I simply remove the knob to have access to spray them or, do I need to remove the chassis cover?  Is the access hole to the pot in the back of the pot?

I took the chassis cover off on my D-75A amps. There is a little hole in the pot, i sprayed WD 40 electrical cleaner in a few times and lightly blew it out with air. Worked great, no static anymore. Did not lube, tho...