Best receiver for klipsch RF-7 l

Generally you want to go with one with the lowest level of distortion/cleanest power.  What does "reasonably affordable" mean to you?  

Are you using a 2-CH setup, or surround?  Music?  Movies?  What's the size of your room?

There are options, but I'd like to remind you, putting a cheaper receiver on a pair of $1000-$3000 speakers is never the best idea.

Here are a few options at $100 more that would be a pretty decent and worthwhile consideration:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr504/integra-dtr-50.4-7.2-ch-x-135-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz710/onkyo-tx-rz710-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2300w/denon-avr-x2300w-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

These two are in your range, but the others would be better:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr404/integra-dtr-40.4-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr737/onkyo-tx-nr737-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

The RF-7's perform best - from what I've heard with beefy amplifications, which will not come from an AVR.  You need dedicated separates for that.  Emotiva has options for this in the $800 range.  However, that being said, they will still sound magical with as little as 1 watt.  They are super sensitive, so even 1 watt will give you close to 100 dB of SPL.

• Like 2

Tyler, do yourself a favor and save up more money so you get power worthy of those RF-7's. I have used my Sherbourn SR-120 in two channel and 2.1 and I would have to say it rivals my Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-5 as far as output, clarity and quality. They show up every once in a while on Ebay and usually sell around the $400 range. One sold last week for $225 or so but the seller was a little shady in his listing practices. Originally they sold for $3k and Emotiva/Sherbourn closed them out at $425. I have four in house and can tell no difference in power and quality up against any of my separates. I had a $1100 Yamaha RX-V2700 prior to the Sherbourn and once I A/B'd the two the Yamaha was up for sale. True 125 wpc for the front three channels and true 75 wpc across the other four channels. Considering the Emotiva XPA-2 kicks out 300 wpc and I hear no difference these receivers are an absolute bargain. If you cheap out on a budget receiver, you will regret it....and your speakers may cry...

...and don't be fooled by the hyped up power ratings of those bargain receivers, they are usually full of crap.

The new amp and preamp Emotiva offers as entry level is all you would need and runs about $700 for both.

Tim

• Like 2

I would recommend a Pioneer Elite.  Why, because it can help control any issues with brightness using the X curve.  You can also blend a front stage using the Front align function.  This will eq the other speakers to match the front speaker.  Timber match is not as important.  I don't know enough about some of the other bands so, I am sure they have some very good avr's also.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

I didn't realize how much 200-250wpc amps are. Maybe I should step down to the rp-280f

Why step down?  No reason to.  RF-7's will perform fine with low wattage.  They just perform even better with high wattage amps.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

So they won't sound like crap at like half the recommend wattage?

Why would they?

They're almost 100 dB of sensitivity.  Get an amp with good clean wattage, and they'll sound good just about at any number.  Watts are not everything.

• Like 1

There is a lot of good advice above.  ^^^

First of all, do you have the RF-7's?  Secure those first if you haven't already.

Second, what do you want to do about electronics, new or used?  I am comfortable buying speakers used, but I like to buy new electronics if possible mainly due to warranty.  There are certain used models that you can reasonably buy with confidence, such as the Pioneer Elite and Yamaha Adventage.

IMO Your best bet in terms of bang-for-the-buck would be:

• Used (if you are comfortable with that)
  • Refurb (has warranty)  Accessories for Less has proven to be a good source and The History Kid made researched some good choices, above.
  • New - Full warranty and the safest choice

If going for a used unit get some advice here on what would be the most reliable AVR.  You can give up a few bells and whistles to get a known performer.  The new models have just come out so it is a good time to pick up something a few years old on the used market.

If going for Refurb you can save by buying just what you need.  Don't get an AVR with 9.1 and internet if all you need is 5.1 to connect to your TV and BD player.

I suggest you buy what is best for now and don't try to future proof.

• Like 1

No I haven't got the speakers yet. But I think realistically all I'm going to be running is 2.0 for a while and then 2.1 once I can find a good deal on a sub. I would prefer to buy a new receiver if possible. I'm just concerned about underpowering them since their rated at 250w rms

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

No I haven't got the speakers yet. But I think realistically all I'm going to be running is 2.0 for a while and then 2.1 once I can find a good deal on a sub. I would prefer to buy a new receiver if possible. I'm just concerned about underpowering them since their rated at 250w rms

For now, maybe consider a used stereo preamp/amp combo and later on incorporate your system into HT when you add more speakers.  Or find an older high quality non HDMI AVR that does 2.0 and 2.1 very well.

Maybe something like these.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ele/6101181481.html

I have enjoyed my NAD T773 for many years, first in my main HT rig and now with my guest bedroom stereo rig.

Or this.

https://treasure.craigslist.org/ele/6135268563.html

Bill

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

Could I get a 5.1 and bridge 2 channels for more power? That would give a 4ohm load so I don't know if the rf7's can handle that

You could but that will not do much.

I would grab that NAD T773 for now until you are ready to expand.

A few photos of my T773.  Dual toroidal transformers for practically unlimited power.

Bill

NAD T-773 003.jpg

NAD T-773 004.jpg

NAD T-773 005.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

What about something like the Carver M-1.0t mkII?

Can't say. 

I suggest the NAD because it is priced very low, sounds great, and is powerful.

Bill