KLF-20

I picked up some very nice KLF-20's on Monday and finally got a chance to give them a good listen tonight. I think they may be my new favorite music speaker.

Next step: Crites diaphragms and crossovers, inspect baffles (although they sound pretty solid)

7ADD2D15-46AE-4D39-9A2F-D76A35446B14-5775-0000053D346EA9C5.jpeg

• Like 5

Beautiful speakers Burn, I'm with you on the KLF's as my favorite speakers. I own both the KLF-20's and the KLF-30's and I have to admit the 30's are even a bit better. I think they are at or near the top of the Klipsch food chain. I haven't modified either pair but I continue to hear good things about the Crites upgrades. Maybe someday. Enjoy your new babies!

Tim

• Like 2

Why do you have a next step?  Listen to them a while and see if you really need to do changes.  They are quite good and in your living environment, more than adequate if they sound good.  Tweeter diaphragms maybe, plus's and minus's.  Crossover, unless you really don't like the sound, I wouldn't suggest it.  If it's not broke, why try to fix it?  I know others will chime in to try and fix something that isn't broken, that's why we have a Garage Sale section here :D

BTW, nice score.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, burninator said:

I picked up some very nice KLF-20's on Monday and finally got a chance to give them a good listen tonight. I think they may be my new favorite music speaker.

Next step: Crites diaphragms and crossovers, inspect baffles (although they sound pretty solid)

7ADD2D15-46AE-4D39-9A2F-D76A35446B14-5775-0000053D346EA9C5.jpeg

Very nice speakers. :emotion-21::emotion-21:

If you really want to see what they can do, add to the mix a quality stereo integrated amp or stereo preamp/amp combo.

Something like these.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/6144401909.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/for/6141932658.html

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teaman said:

Beautiful speakers Burn, I'm with you on the KLF's as my favorite speakers. I own both the KLF-20's and the KLF-30's and I have to admit the 30's are even a bit better. I think they are at or near the top of the Klipsch food chain. I haven't modified either pair but I continue to hear good things about the Crites upgrades. Maybe someday. Enjoy your new babies!

Tim

I was trying to get my hands on some 30's before I found these, but the seller's communication was terrible and I couldn't get them to agree on a time to see the speakers. Then, these came up on Craigslist less than two miles from my house.

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

Why do you have a next step?  Listen to them a while and see if you really need to do changes.  They are quite good and in your living environment, more than adequate if they sound good.  Tweeter diaphragms maybe, plus's and minus's.  Crossover, unless you really don't like the sound, I wouldn't suggest it.  If it's not broke, why try to fix it?  I know others will chime in to try and fix something that isn't broken, that's why we have a Garage Sale section here :D

BTW, nice score.

No one said the next step was gonna happen right away, but I would like to do it eventually. The diaphragms sooner than later.

25 minutes ago, willland said:

Very nice speakers. :emotion-21::emotion-21:

If you really want to see what they can do, add to the mix a quality stereo integrated amp or stereo preamp/amp combo.

Something like these.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/6144401909.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/for/6141932658.html

Bill

I'm hoping to pick up a Proton D1200 here in a couple hours :D

• Like 1

Very true.  That Onkyo receiver isn't up to pushing the KLF-20s as they could be.  Good separates are the real ticket.  I wouldn't even mess with those posted for Craigslist if you are going to upgrade.  As teaman has, wouldn't go any less than something like his XPA-2 for an amplifier with a reasonable   

Ah you just posted the Proton, much better but keep in mind you need lots of good current because of the low impedance of the KLF-20s bass.  The Proton isn't known for being able to hang with low impedance drive so I would shy away myself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, burninator said:

I was trying to get my hands on some 30's before I found these, but the seller's communication was terrible and I couldn't get them to agree on a time to see the speakers. Then, these came up on Craigslist less than two miles from my house.

No one said the next step was gonna happen right away, but I would like to do it eventually. The diaphragms sooner than later.

I'm hoping to pick up a Proton D1200 here in a couple hours :D

Take a look at Audio Karma.  You might want to use something a little more robust (my last post).  Just a thought as the Emotiva XPA-2 or something like it, which are inexpensive.

• Like 1

They sound incredible to my ears, even on the Onkyo AVR that I dragged out of storage to test some speakers for a buyer and ended up turning into a temporary second setup until I can get something better. 

On a recent college graduate budget, the Proton should be a nice upgrade. It doesn't have to be optimal now, there is always room for improvement and I enjoy the experimentation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, burninator said:

They sound incredible to my ears, even on the Onkyo AVR that I dragged out of storage to test some speakers for a buyer and ended up turning into a temporary second setup until I can get something better. 

On a recent college graduate budget, the Proton should be a nice upgrade. It doesn't have to be optimal now, there is always room for improvement and I enjoy the experimentation.

On a college graduate budget, you also don't want something to self destruct.  You can get the Emo for a little more than the used Proton and not have to worry for the next 20 yrs.  You won't be able to say that about the Proton driving low impedance.

• Like 1

Back in "the day" the Proton was know for being able to handle lower ohm loads than most. I used to drive a pair or Speakerlab Super 7's (4 ohm) and a pair of Cornwalls (8 ohms) in parallel for many years. Later installed that amp in a bar for a friend and it lasted many more years being abused on a daily basis. That was a long time ago mid to late 80's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

On a college graduate budget, you also don't want something to self destruct.  You can get the Emo for a little more than the used Proton and not have to worry for the next 20 yrs.  You won't be able to say that about the Proton driving low impedance.

How do you know what I'm getting the Proton for? I'm not looking to be set for the next 20 years.

Also, this is the first I'm hearing about the D1200 not being able to drive low impedance. It's actually the opposite of what I've been reading about it.

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

Back in "the day" the Proton was know for being able to handle lower ohm loads than most. I used to drive a pair or Speakerlab Super 7's (4 ohm) and a pair of Cornwalls (8 ohms) in parallel for many years. Later installed that amp in a bar for a friend and it lasted many more years being abused on a daily basis. That was a long time ago mid to late 80's.

Depends on the Amp design.  There are some skeptics on the D1200 but hey, if you want to repair a 20 yr old amp when you don't have the budget, go for it.  The extra $100 now may avoid a amp that costs more to fix than it is worth.

Just enjoy, nothing lasts forever as long as you think you got your money's worth.

A couple hundred dollars is worth it to me. If I get it home and it's toast, I can always bring it back (it's at a local used hifi shop). The cheapest XPA-2 I'm seeing in a quick search is over $600. Not exactly a $100 increase.

burninator,

ok, I have some Emos around here and they are likely to be bargained for under $500.  Yes location counts.

Again though, enjoy.  This is a hobby.  I'm just offering some advice.  The KLF20s will likely hang around for a long time.  Wish I could find a pair with wood vs. black.

Since I started this audio journey I have definitely spent my cash on more than I want to admit. Some good, some bad.  You go with the flow.  

I will say there is something to be said about a nice set of vintage meters!!!  Wish I had a NEW Luxman or big Yamaha that looks like that.  I've relegated myself to Class D Bel Canto REF 1000s and several others in the name of getting off the upgrade bus.  Too old.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

burninator,

ok, I have some Emos around here and they are likely to be bargained for under $500.  Yes location counts.

Again though, enjoy.  This is a hobby.  I'm just offering some advice.  The KLF20s will likely hang around for a long time.  Wish I could find a pair with wood vs. black.

Since I started this audio journey I have definitely spent my cash on more than I want to admit. Some good, some bad.  You go with the flow.  

I will say there is something to be said about a nice set of vintage meters!!!  Wish I had a NEW Luxman or big Yamaha that looks like that.  I've relegated myself to Class D Bel Canto REF 1000s and several others in the name of getting off the upgrade bus.  Too old.

The advice is appreciated! 

The KLF's have definitely earned a permanent place here. I love the trial and error part of this hobby, it makes it that much more rewarding.

I wish more amps still had meters! The new Luxmans and Yamahas look great with them. I hope the meters make a comeback.

Money no object, I'd just go get a McIntosh MA7900 like my dad just got for his Snell Type D's.

• Like 1