KLF-20

Congrats, nice score! I agree the KLF series are some of the greats from Klipsch's past, sound quality and performance is right up there with the extended Heritage line up.

As far as "updates" go I'm a firm believer in replacing old parts on 20+ year old stereo equipment / speakers to ensure you're getting not only the best sound quality but many years of hopefully trouble free use. IMO, in a perfect world one would buy brand new, second best option is restored used gear. Actually though in many cases restored older equipment will outperform new stuff by a large margin.

The 20's would likely be just fine as is so updates could easily be put off until you get the rest of your system worked out and budget allows. In the mean time, enjoy your new speakers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

I wouldn't even mess with those posted for Craigslist if you are going to upgrade.

I would not discount the NAD and Luxman suggestions so easily especially for the $$$ they are listed for.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Congrats, nice score! I agree the KLF series are some of the greats from Klipsch's past, sound quality and performance is right up there with the extended Heritage line up.

As far as "updates" go I'm a firm believer in replacing old parts on 20+ year old stereo equipment / speakers to ensure you're getting not only the best sound quality but many years of hopefully trouble free use. IMO, in a perfect world one would buy brand new, second best option is restored used gear. Actually though in many cases restored older equipment will outperform new stuff by a large margin.

The 20's would likely be just fine as is so updates could easily be put off until you get the rest of your system worked out and budget allows. In the mean time, enjoy your new speakers!

Thanks! I think they sound great even on the 'ole Onkyo, so any upgrade will be a bonus.

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Very true.  That Onkyo receiver isn't up to pushing the KLF-20s as they could be.  Good separates are the real ticket.  I wouldn't even mess with those posted for Craigslist if you are going to upgrade.  As teaman has, wouldn't go any less than something like his XPA-2 for an amplifier with a reasonable   

Ah you just posted the Proton, much better but keep in mind you need lots of good current because of the low impedance of the KLF-20s bass.  The Proton isn't known for being able to hang with low impedance drive so I would shy away myself.

Thinking I may hold off for a bit and do Emotiva A-300/PT-100 when the A-300 comes back in stock. Seems like a great combo for under $700. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burninator said:

Thinking I may hold off for a bit and do Emotiva A-300/PT-100 when the A-300 comes back in stock. Seems like a great combo for under $700. 

I'm looking at doing the exact same thing.  Replacing an old Yamaha receiver with that setup.  It's simple in function, has bluetooth capability, phono stages, etc.  The amp looks pretty good to me at 150x2, Torodial transformer, plenty of power.  Plus there's not any extra garbage in the preamp for running a 2 channel setup.  A-300 is supposed to be in at the end of June I believe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, burninator said:

Take a look at this.  Very nice integrated with built-in DAC.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/170693-wts-onkyo-a9070-integrated/

IMG_2462.JPG

Bill

• Like 1

Just now, ACV92 said:

I'm looking at doing the exact same thing.  Replacing an old Yamaha receiver with that setup.  It's simple in function, has bluetooth capability, phono stages, etc.  The amp looks pretty good to me at 150x2, Torodial transformer, plenty of power.  Plus there's not any extra garbage in the preamp for running a 2 channel setup.  A-300 is supposed to be in at the end of June I believe.

Indeed, I put myself on the list for when they come back.

I was thinking about eventually doing an Outlaw 975/5000, but I think the Emotiva combo makes a lot more sense (and it's $300 less!). 

I ended up ordering an A-100 to go with my Heresy setup, to replace the free Onkyo AVR my neighbor gave me. Can't wait to try it out.

• Like 1

There is never any perfect way to do things Burn, feel free to seek out exactly what you want. I actually really enjoy Emotiva and Sherbourn SS equipment and the prices always seem right. Sherbourn and Emotiva are cousins if not brothers as far as design and engineering go. The Sherbourn were dedicated more towards the professional installer and the Emotiva is more consumer oriented. The Sherbourn brand really employed some monsters in their line up. There are several good deals to be found on Ebay, some brand new in box. They and the Emotiva amps...and really all of their equipment is built like tanks. Personally I was not as happy with the Outlaw M-2200 mono blocks as I had hoped to be and get more pleasure from my Emotiva amps. I have owned entry level on up to the 600wpc mono block XPA-1's and have not been disappointed yet. 

Here is one example. It offers 7 channels and 110 real wpc into each. Built like a tank and brand new in box. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-7-110-Power-Amplifier-/201935315023?hash=item2f0448604f:g:Q6kAAOSwImRYh6gn Even if you are only looking at using two channels right now this amp shares a huge torroidal transformer and probably puts out close to 250 wpc into two channels. Just an idea.

Tim

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 0:19 AM, chriswhotakesphotos said:

Very handsome speakers! I've been a fan of 3-way Klipsch since getting my Heresies and would really like to hear the KLF series one of these days. Nice Nintendo consoles too!

Definitely give them a listen if you get a chance. I think they may be my favorite Klipsch speaker I've had so far. I'm still new to the world of 3-way Klipsch, with my first pair of 3-ways being the Heresies I bought the day before :D

• Like 1

Picture the Heresies with a ton of bass...that is what comes to mind with the KLF-20 and 30 series. You can tone them down if need be by putting them closer to a wall. 

Here is a sweet little amp from Sherbourn that just listed on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-2-160-2-Channel-Amplifier-/192203289638?hash=item2cc0357426:g:IpUAAOSw5cRZJyCy

Probably not going to sell much higher than the $99 starting bid. 160wpc into 8 ohms and balanced options too. Worth a look!

Tim

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, teaman said:

Picture the Heresies with a ton of bass...that is what comes to mind with the KLF-20 and 30 series. You can tone them down if need be by putting them closer to a wall. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-2-160-2-Channel-Amplifier-/192203289638?hash=item2cc0357426:g:IpUAAOSw5cRZJyCy

Probably not going to sell much higher than the $99 starting bid. 160wpc into 8 ohms and balanced options too. Worth a look!

Tim

Added to watch list, thanks! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BluBitRates said:

Careful with whatever is ontop of the tx-sr605, those receivers get incredibly hot and need room to breathe.  i think those receivers sound great at mid to low volumes.

It's a 210 cfm fan, so I doubt I'll have any issues with the TX-SR605 overheating ;)

On 5/31/2017 at 8:59 AM, teaman said:

Tim

I won that Sherbourn 2-160, and ordered an Emotiva PT-100 for pre/pro. Can't wait!

• Like 1

Just now, burninator said:

I won that Sherbourn 2-160, and ordered an Emotiva PT-100 for pre/pro. Can't wait!

Awesome Burn, I had actually bid before you and was high bidder up until this morning. I actually had nowhere to go with it but for the $100 I bid that was too good a deal to pass up. Sorry about driving up your price the extra five bucks though....I owe you a beer!

I think that Emotiva PT-100 will pair nicely with the Sherbourn amp. From the specs it seems like that Sherbourn is more powerful than the budget Emotiva amps offered now, plus has balanced options. I actually prefer the Sherbourn products to Emotiva and the more industrial look works for me. Please keep us updated once you get everything. Congrats on your new additions!

Tim

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, teaman said:

Awesome Burn, I had actually bid before you and was high bidder up until this morning. I actually had nowhere to go with it but for the $100 I bid that was too good a deal to pass up. Sorry about driving up your price the extra five bucks though....I owe you a beer!

I think that Emotiva PT-100 will pair nicely with the Sherbourn amp. From the specs it seems like that Sherbourn is more powerful than the budget Emotiva amps offered now, plus has balanced options. I actually prefer the Sherbourn products to Emotiva and the more industrial look works for me. Please keep us updated once you get everything. Congrats on your new additions!

Tim

Thanks, Tim! I was wondering where that slight jump in price came from when I placed my bid with 30 seconds left in the auction. I was willing to go a bit higher, so I am very pleased with $108.50. I was thinking about getting an Emotiva A-300 if I didn't win the 2-160, but as you said, the Sherbourn is a little more powerful and has the balanced inputs. And at less than half the price, I am very happy indeed. 

I'm excited about the PT-100 after playing with my new A-100 (my first Emotiva product) for the last few days. Their stuff seems to be very solidly built and for a great value.

Congrates on your new KLF-20's. They look awesome!! 

I have yet to own any KLF series Klipsch..... well I do own a KLF C-7. But I would love to get some 20's or 30's someday to go along with the C-7. Right now the C-7 is paired with a set of Forte's. 

On 5/27/2017 at 10:57 AM, burninator said:

I wish more amps still had meters!

Me too!!

Most of my amps are of the Carver line that has meters or the strobe meters, there both cool imho. I really like the old Carver amps, tons of power, run cool all day long.... and imho drive my Klipsch like few amps can. What i mean is...... I bridged two Adcoms to drive a pair of ChorusII's and then switched too a Carver TFM-55. The 55 blew the Adcoms out of the water... not just talking about volume, but the Caver made those Chorus hit way harder in the bass dept. Don't know how much power I was putting into them while using the Adcoms.... but it was way way loud.... like too loud... The Carver's power meters were jumping way past the rated 375 watts.... like close maxing out the headroom of the amp. Again loud but the chest thump was way harder using the Carver. 

Anyway enjoy your new KLF's ....... very nice looking...

MKP :-)

• Like 1