Svs ultra vs rf-7 mk1

44 minutes ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

I'm trying to decide if I want to get rf-7's or SVS Ultra bookshelfs for my 10x12 bedroom. mostly for movies with occasional music. What's everyone's thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 7's will give you that "in your face" movie experience many, including myself, strive for.  Can't say(from personal knowledge) the same about the SVS Ultras.

Bill

how big is the room is question 1. second if you can get rf7s for 1k a pair that's a no brainer. 

the rf7 is my favorite klipsch speaker. it's not however my favorite speaker of all time but would be right up there in the right room. i like klipsch in LARGE rooms. 

personally i rarely venture outside of klipsch, B&W or martin logan. all different sounds but all good for what they are trying to do. i also own all 3 & the B&Ws get played the most

svs is a good company that engineers their products well and have great value pre packaged subwoofers. i'm not sold on their primes but have not heard the ultras. most every review says they are night and day better

Get the Bookshelf speakers for that size room.  The RF 7's need room to breathe.  The RF 7 is a better speaker due to it's range of coverage but, it may not be the best choice for the application that you will be using them in.  Paired the bookshelf speakers with a nice sub and enjoy.

21 hours ago, jason str said:

While there may be some exceptions this whole speakers too big for the room notion is bullshit.

i don't think so at all ESPECIALLY with compression horns. small rooms really amplify the worst traits of a horn. large rooms are a completely different animal. i've actually tried the rf82ii's in my living room in the bedroom and they are rather terrible. the b&w 603s3 or martin logan motion 12s both sound quite a lot better. in my 20x20 living room the klipsch are lovely. the reflections and basically shouting they do in the bedroom isn't there in the living room. this is why they have never ever never used compression horns in car audio that's worth speaking of. i mean, i get that some of you guys REALLY love the in your face sound but do you actually like it laying in bed watching tv at night or listening to some beats?

1 minute ago, racebum said:

i don't think so at all ESPECIALLY with compression horns. small rooms really amplify the worst traits of a horn. large rooms are a completely different animal. i've actually tried the rf82ii's in my living room in the bedroom and they are rather terrible. the b&w 603s3 or martin logan motion 12s both sound quite a lot better. in my 20x20 living room the klipsch are lovely. the reflections and basically shouting they do in the bedroom isn't there in the living room. this is why they have never ever never used compression horns in car audio that's worth speaking of. i mean, i get that some of you guys REALLY love the in your face sound but do you actually like it laying in bed watching tv at night or listening to some beats?

Isn't a way to compensate for the "speaker too big for room" thing by dialing down the gain on the amplifier?

Bill

1 hour ago, racebum said:

Room treatments, and proper setup go a long way.

Car audio is nearly impossible because of placement and seating arrangement.

9 hours ago, willland said:

Isn't a way to compensate for the "speaker too big for room" thing by dialing down the gain on the amplifier?

Bill

in other words not playing them as loud? you have to in that kind of situation with compression horns. maybe in a treated room things would be different? my solution is just use different speakers in different environments. always open minded though to those with a lot of experience however 

8 hours ago, jason str said:

Room treatments, and proper setup go a long way.

Car audio is nearly impossible because of placement and seating arrangement.

true and true. the question i have asked myself is why would i want to treat a room, make it cosmetically less appealing perhaps and the rest if i can just use a different speaker that doesn't have the same issue. the above example i had. my bedroom. floors are hickory. it's 12x14. a bed and area rug are the notable objects. if compression horns go in there they are okay at lower volume. you start getting much over 105db and things go south quickly. for whatever reason the B&W's handily out perform in this environment. on the flip side if these same B&Ws that work very well in my bedroom go to the livingroom which is open and 20x20 not only do they struggle with SPL for obvious reasons and their much lower efficiency vs klipsch but they sound more flat, their dynamics don't have nearly the same punch without the room gain. this is also what made me think of car audio. with car audio it's not just the equipment you worry about, the car becomes part of the transducer so to speak because it causes a lot of gains, sometimes in unpredictable areas. you also have all kinds of reflections or resonance issues. depending on the car. some speakers work MUCH better than others. 

If you prefer not to use horns its your choice but don't let one set of speakers dictate your opinions. I have had many different sets of horns in rooms big and small, some just need more finesse than others but all have worked well in their environment.

The automobile is a harsh area to tame and very different from the home audio game, drivers firing at your legs and behind your head are never going to sound right so use whatever suits you.

I tend to think ahead when I buy sound, I have a fairly small listening room right now but I have Heresies, RP-280F and KG 5.2s. The Heresy is good for a small room, but the other two aren't so much.

With the RP-280Fs having smaller drivers and horns than the RF-7, I'll say that sitting in a small space I mostly hear the horns, the speakers sound brighter to me than most people seem to think of them. Since a lot of directional frequencies come out of their 8" drivers and I'm not sitting far enough for that sound to mesh from the pair of them with the sound from the horns, they sound bright. (Or at least that's what I think is going on there)

I'd say get the 7s, enjoy them as best as you can, and then enjoy them a lot more when you can put them in a bigger space. It's what I'd do, anyway!