Heresy time capsule

Trippigs

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Trippigs said:

Really!!!!  I would love to meet him as well....maybe at the 2018 Pilgrimage which I plan to attend. I wont be a newbie then! Would it be appropriate to ask Mr. Wyatt to add his John Hancock again with the then current date?

I'm sure he would be honored. 

On 6/9/2017 at 4:01 PM, Trippigs said:

I just used a DeWalt rotary palm sander with both 150 and 80 grit sandpaper. I worked one bottom side pretty aggressively and got through the paint to raw birch but unfortunately this is not something I would want to do all over. However, the sanding beautifully prepared all the surfaces for painting. So, I plan to have the professional painter who is painting our new home spray paint the Heresys in Sherwin Williams "Mindful Gray" to match the walls where the speakers will be. They are all taped up and ready to go!

Don't do that!!!!!!!!!

I'm a professional house painter.  Stop right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy a can of Goof Off.  Goof Off only, not some other brand.  Rub on paint in a inconspicuous spot. If the surface feels rubbery and sticky, its latex//acrylic, if not it's oil paint.

Do not have some clown spray latex over oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are four ways to do this, prime with an oil primer then paint with acrylic topcoat, paint with oil realizing that your grandad's oil is far different form the crap they call oil today, try a water-based oil/acrylic (awful stuff) or possibly Sherwin Williams "Pro Classic "  which will stick to oil but will not level like oil.  A fifth a worse option is  Exterior Duration Gloss which will not level like oil.

Those are your painting options[period.

Hi there thebes...thanks so much for the education as I read up you are 100% correct. I am certain we are dealing with old oil base paint on the speakers. I assume my painter is using latex/acrylic in which case we will go with option #1. I suppose there is an outside chance he will use oil base on some of the trim/cabinetry in which case we will go with option #2. Again, I appreciate your input and I will treat these little gems with respect!

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out my painter is old school and is using an oil based Sherwin Williams lacquer on the new cabinetry. So, he will use an oil primer and spray this same lacquer on the Heresys. Should be completed in ~3 weeks.  I noticed while taping them up that I have lost a wire screw from the terminal....bummer. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement???

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, Trippigs said:

Yep...the 1985 air from Hope,AR smelled clean!

That's probably because the chicken processing plant down the road from Klipsch had temporarily shut-down after its owner, HUDSON FOODS, went out of business due its beef division shipping over 25 million pounds of ground beef out which may have been tainted with  E. coli O157:H7 in 1997...much of it going to Burger King restaurants nationwide.  Within a few years the company was pretty-much out of business...with assets being sold off to cover debt...including the chicken-processing plant just down the road from the Hope Klipsch plant.

Trust me, the air sealed up inside Heresys cabinets while I worked there (1976-1983) was more-often-than-not pretty funky! 

Klipsch newb here...found a pair of 84 HBRs for $300 in very good condition. Guy says only thing wrong with is that "they're not hooked up and thumpin'" Seems like a really good price, but like I said. I'm a newb so I want to make sure...thanks for the help! 

Edited by stevoc921
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:25 PM, Trippigs said:

Really!!!!  I would love to meet him as well....maybe at the 2018 Pilgrimage which I plan to attend. I wont be a newbie then! Would it be appropriate to ask Mr. Wyatt to add his John Hancock again with the then current date?

Mr. Robert Wyatt generally goes by "Bois d' Arc", which was his CB radio handle back when everybody had the CB radios in their cars.  The "inspected by" signature is from the employee who did the final assembly on the speakers just prior to testing.  Final assembly is where the "guts" (components) of the speaker were installed...then, for Heresys the back panel was installed.  So Bois d'arc was who did the final assembly on them.  He was a builder, who eventually ended up running shipping and receiving, and retired just a few years ago.  We started working at Klipsch about the same time...he got hired a few weeks before I got hired.  He was featured prominently on a Klipsch advertising poster promoting the Heresy speaker which was released sometime between 1976 and 1980.  Actually, he may have ALSO actually BUILT your Heresys.  We often got pulled from building to do final assembly and/or shipping duties during rushes to get speakers out of the way so that  more speakers could be built and go thru the plant.

Hello HDBRbuilder....all very interesting and I appreciate the new information. I already have the speaker boxes nicely taped up for painting.  Our inside painter started priming some cabinets and doors this week so things are moving forward........  

Late to the party. Just went on a three week odyssey of refinishing my Pioneer hpm-100's. When I originally purchased them they had sun fade on top and part of one side of the other speaker while having an overall roughness. 

I knew Howard's restore a finish wasn't going to do the job. 

Basically it took four coats of Jasco paint stripper and in between the stripper I used various grit sandpaper starting from 100 grit, (paint stripper) 120,(paint stripper) 0000 Bri-wax no oil steel wool> 180 (paint stripper)0000 Bri-wax steel wool> 220 (paint stripper) 0000 Bri was steel wool > then 330 grit. 

Followed by four coats of Old masters tung oil finish and more 0000 steel wool. 

Now I'm waiting for it to cure so I can rub some extra fine wax and make them shine.

Was it cost effective? Not by a long shot.  However, I learned a LOT and one can't put a price on that. It's leagues better than what I originally had and I'd do it again.

IMG_20170701_155506.jpg

IMG_20170701_154942.jpg

IMG_20170701_155521.jpg

Edited by Rxonmymind
The top of other speaker. The one with "three eye's" across was pretty bleached out.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The speakers are done and the paint job looks great.....I am very pleased. Steps included sanding, filling a few dents and all edges with bondo, sanding, spray prime, light sanding, spray finish coat, light sanding and a final spray finish coat. They look good enough that my wife said we might not need to use the cabinetry grill cloth we had planned for!

H1.JPG

H2.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks guys. They will fit inside the far left/right cabinet slots in this photo. As I mentioned, we had planned to have cabinet doors with grill cloth but maybe not anymore! I have yet to hear these particular speakers but will crank them up when our new house is finished in a couple of months.

fireplace.jpg

I pulled my 1990 Heresy II's out of storage and put them in my new 14x24 gazebo. Now I don't want to go in the house. I am listening to 60's and 70's rock music that I grew up with and hearing notes of music that I have not heard in ages. The Heresys are the left and right speakers of a surround sound system for a 60" TV. Amazing speakers. Well worth the investment I made many years ago. 

• Like 1