Heresy I Question

M_Klipsches

Why do some Heresy Is seem to have their speaker terminals near the bottom of the cabinet; while most have these located toward the top? Obviously some could have merely been removed and inadvertently been inverted. But the ones I'm referring to are apparently factory. I assume this, as the ID tag is right side up. My "U" models have them near the top. Silly question I know but it's probably as simple as an error. But that just doesn't seem right. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, M_Klipsch said:

Finally found an example of this. These are "Y" models, (1983?) that I saw on eBay. As you can see labels are right side up, with the terminals on the bottom. Maybe it's jus a one year thing? Special Order? Why? Perhaps @HDBRbuilder might have an idea?

IMG_6792.PNG

Most likely, this is because of one of three reasons:

Somebody employed at the plant were buying them to use for a year or so and then re-sell them to get money for more expensive Klipsch models on their next purchase...and wanted the terminals at the bottom instead of the top...OR....

New people in the final assembly end of things....or a certain dealer request came in. 

The labels were put on the speakers AFTER the back panel was installed in those days.

The testing booth in those days was set up so that bottom terminals were actually more difficult to hook up the source wire to for the final frequency sweep testing before boxing for shipment...so it was most likely done due to a special request of some kind.

You'd be surprised at how many special requests came in back in those days...and the company always did their best to fulfill those special requests back in those days, since Klipsch was still more a "word-of-mouth" advertising company than anything other mode of advertising.  Customer support sells speakers! 

Customers often came in to hand-pick the veneered panels used for their K-horns...many of them famous singers and such...Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, Tanya Tucker...to name just a very few of the many who did so...it was a customer option for the K-horns....especially for the rosewood and ebony ones...and Belles.  It was always nice to have the option to buy a pair of K-horns in rosewood and a single belle for a center channel...and hand select the panels for a wonderful match of the three!

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, Peter P. said:

I'm guessing this kind of thing was prone to happen on Friday's after lunch...;)

What you are hinting at wasn't just reserved for Friday lunch breaks...we never discriminated against the other days of the week, including "overtime Saturdays".

• Like 1