Would like help pairing the right equipment

arckanum66

I'm debating on either bookshelf rp250/260s or rp260f for a small 580 square foot home. Living space is roughly 10x12. Was thinking about going with the SC-91 for receiver. This will be something that will be slowly built to a 5.1.

Would the pioneer be enough or should I pick a receiver with amp pre outs for an emotiva a-500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, Arckanum66.

I agree with Bill the Pio SC-91 is a solid choice.  You won't need to upgrade it for a while.

Bookshelves would suffice but it depends on your plans for them.  If you are not going to place them on a bookshelf then floorstanders would be a better way to go.  If you want to put them in the same space on the floor you would need some stands which could add as much as $100 to the overall price.  If you have small kids I would not recommend speakers on stands.

You could also buy the bookshelf speakers and put them on stands with the idea they could move to surround duty as you add more robust L/R to the 5.1 mix.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arckanum66 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome Willland. Would bookshelves suffice or would the floor standing be the better way for music and movies

Depends on whether or not you can get a sub.  If not, you need all the help you can get.  I'd pick bookshelves with a sub over floorstanders with no sub though, at least for movies.  Personally I use RP-160M's with no sub in a nearly 1,000 square foot room but I'd never do that for movies.  Halfway questionable for music but it still works.  

3 minutes ago, Innocent_George said:

No the 91 does not have pre outs. Something I regret now. It's Awsome though if you get it for the right price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accessories4less has it for $579. Only place I could find an authorized reseller 

8 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Depends on whether or not you can get a sub.  If not, you need all the help you can get.  I'd pick bookshelves with a sub over floorstanders with no sub though, at least for movies.  Personally I use RP-160M's with no sub in a nearly 1,000 square foot room but I'd never do that for movies.  Halfway questionable for music but it still works.  

That sounds like a good idea (bookshelves with  a sub)  you think a 12" would be too much for the small living area?

17 minutes ago, arckanum66 said:

That sounds like a good idea (bookshelves with  a sub)  you think a 12" would be too much for the small living area?

Not at all.  I would chose the largest sub you can fit.  The main things when considering a sub are frequency response, size if limited on placement options, power, and price.  You can customize the response/volume to fit your space.  If you go too small you'll be lacking on the lower end, especially if you make the switch to 5.1.

• Like 1

Another thought, if you end up looking at smaller enclosures for space limitations, try and find a ported/vented sub.  They will typically have a stronger bottom end than a similar sized sealed cabinet.

5 hours ago, arckanum66 said:

Agree with @ACV92, go with the largest sub you can.  I have a 15" sealed sub in a small bedroom sized space and it gives a nice lower end to TV watching, and will thump your chest for moderate to loud music.  The sealed 15" is not much larger than my ported 12" Klipsch sub.  The 15" moves a LOT more air than a 12".

• Like 1

Okay I don't think I'm going to shop for a receiver at accessories4less. I emailed them asking to recommend a receiver for the klipsch rp260 and Mark flat out told me they were sonically inaccurate and flat out bad and said "you should look at some real speakers like canton" talk about flat out insulting what a rude person. I'll never buy anything from them after that experience. I told him I would think about his suggestion but wanted to get a receiver first and the guy goes "Pick out speakers 1st, receiver 2nd. You need to match the receiver to the speakers you are using…." What a nice guy! Way to make a customer feel like an idiot . Anyway Costco has the tsr7810 which is basically the vsx 781. What that work out with the rp 260? If anything I could use the pre outs and hook up an emotiva a500

14 hours ago, arckanum66 said:

Okay I don't think I'm going to shop for a receiver at accessories4less. I emailed them asking to recommend a receiver for the klipsch rp260 and Mark flat out told me they were sonically inaccurate and flat out bad and said "you should look at some real speakers like canton" talk about flat out insulting what a rude person. I'll never buy anything from them after that experience. I told him I would think about his suggestion but wanted to get a receiver first and the guy goes "Pick out speakers 1st, receiver 2nd. You need to match the receiver to the speakers you are using…." What a nice guy! Way to make a customer feel like an idiot .

Goodness.  There's more to this than you'd think.  Pretty sure that guy used to be a dealer for quite awhile, then his status got yanked.  Regardless of what that situation is, he has openly voiced his displeasure about the company on social media outlets elsewhere so what you said isn't really shocking.  Of course his proposed alternative is always something that he currently sells.  Surprise surprise.  

• Like 2

Ended up with a Denon x2300w. Got Best Buy to price match for $499. Another guy was in their magnolia show room looking at the same receiver and told him I got it for $499 out the door, he was happy as hell because he was going to pay the retail price of $799. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would like to get some help. Just picked up klipsch R-28 with440 center and 12w sub.

looking for a av receiver to complete the setup.

do u think the Yamaha TSR-7810 is decent?or I can get a used Denon 4520ci.

My budget is like $700.

I am new to home theaters, so please pardon my ignorance.

thanks!

Hello new to this forum.

I would like to get some help. Just picked up klipsch R-28 with440 center and 12w sub.

looking for a av receiver to complete the setup.

do u think the Yamaha TSR-7810 is decent?or I can get a used Denon 4520ci.

My budget is like $700.

I am new to home theaters, so please pardon my ignorance.

thanks!

Edited by Sepro
  • Like 1

Sepro, welcome to the forum. There are a ton of receivers that do lots of things with varying levels of ability. If you want a receiver that is built like a tank and provides everything short of Atmos, do yourself a favor and offer $700 to this guy. Best receiver you will ever own.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-SR120-7-1-Channel-175-Watt-Receiver-Incredible-sound-Hardly-used-/232314962703?hash=item36170d030f:g:LmgAAOSwRUhZASqZ

Tim