New SI 18"s and DIYSG Baltic Birch Enclosures

fuzzydog

There's a great thread over at avsforum.com about these, google it and you'll see a lot of discussion

they are frequently put into a diysoundgroup 4cft sealed enclosure, or a 5.4cft ported enclosure (or, a custom built much larger ported enclosure)

They are very capable drivers and can play down to 20hz and lower flat in a large ported enclosure

These are a cheaper alternative to a Dayton Ultimax 18, they don't handle as much power and the frame is not nearly as high quality but they work just fine

About $130 cheaper than a Umax18

I guess I don't understand why they keep stopping at 4 cubic feet net.  The popular drivers usually have 4 cubic feet as the recommendation after driver displacement which is what, 0.3 cubic feet or so.  I'd have to model it to see how big of a deal it was, but still, what's the problem with just making it slightly bigger?  Just seems like it would be misleading to some people.  Also would be nice to state the cutout sizes or at least whether an Ultimax would fit it.  Maybe they'll come out with a different baffle in the future if not.  

9 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I guess I don't understand why they keep stopping at 4 cubic feet net.

I can take that question!  It is the largest size and weight that fits into a flat pack box (two boxes I believe) that can be shipped UPS.

I'm not smart.  Erich answered that question on AVSforums.com.  B)

• Like 2

On 5/30/2017 at 3:55 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

How's the DS4 working out?  

It's filling in the bottom octave nicely and blends well with my smaller Emotiva sub.  I think I need to start running my sub amp in bridge mode though since I've seen the red clipping light start flashing in good demo scenes.

It is ok for the clip light to blink on heavy scenes.  If the amp gain is not on max, then it is hard to get the amp to full power since the gain control is an attenuator.  You just don't want the clip light to stay on.  I am assuming you don't have the filters with a large boost of 6 db or greater.  The clip light may also be the limiter becoming active.  I have 7 I Nukes and the clip light come on often throughout a movie on heavy scenes.  Bridge mode will not hurt.:)