[advice needed] Klipsch RF-82 II & Yamaha A-S801

Cem

I'm planning to buy Klipsch RF-82 II & Yamaha A-S801 but I'm concerned about their compatibility.

I watched some videos where it is recommended to buy an integrated amp with at least 50% more power than speakers' power.

According to this advice, these two are not compatible. RF-82 II's power is 150W where A-S801 sends 100W per channel.

But there are issues about sensitivity too.

So can anyone tell me if Yamaha A-S801 is going to be enough for RF-82 II?

Thank you in advance.

Cem

A-S801 specs:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s801/ 

RF-82 II specs:

http://images.klipsch.com/RF82II_635042119237310000.pdf

Cem,

Welcome to the forum.

No need to be concerned unless you are trying to fill a concert hall with ear bleeding volume levels.  That A-S801 should easily drive the 82II's to all but the craziest loud volumes that would run you out of the room.

I am driving my Klipsch RB-75's which have the same power handling specs(150w RMS/600w Peak) as the RF-82II's, with my Yamaha A-S1000(90w/ch@8ohms, 140w/ch@4ohms) and believe me that Yamaha is easily up to the task.

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cem said:

I'm planning to buy Klipsch RF-82 II & Yamaha A-S801 but I'm concerned about their compatibility.

I watched some videos where it is recommended to buy an integrated amp with at least 50% more power than speakers' power.

According to this advice, these two are not compatible. RF-82 II's power is 150W where A-S801 sends 100W per channel.

But there are issues about sensitivity too.

So can anyone tell me if Yamaha A-S801 is going to be enough for RF-82 II?

Thank you in advance.

Cem

A-S801 specs:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s801/ 

RF-82 II specs:

http://images.klipsch.com/RF82II_635042119237310000.pdf

OK.  Where did you find some brainiac that states you should have an amp that is at least 50% more powerful than the speakers can handle?

Many speakers, even cheap speakers, can handle in the neighborhood of 200-300 watts.  How many amps can put out over 400 watts?  Only a handful.  That means that there are only about 10 or 12 amplifiers that should be purchased in the world.

That being said, depending on your priorities, you may want more current (tighter bass, more drive) with a more powerful solid state amp or smoother more lush presentation of tubes.

With high efficiency speakers you don't need a lot of wattage if you adhere to the above until you understand more about the specifics of an amplifier.  Even with the tighter bass requiring higher current, you don't need enormous RMS wattage.

The Yamaha seems like a very nice amplifier.and should go well with the RF-82s.  

• Like 2

Cem,

Welcome to the forum.

No need to be concerned unless you are trying to fill a concert hall with ear bleeding volume levels.  That A-S801 should easily drive the 82II's to all but the craziest loud volumes that would run you out of the room.

I am driving my Klipsch RB-75's which have the same power handling specs(150w RMS/600w Peak) as the RF-82II's, with my Yamaha A-S1000(90w/ch@8ohms, 140w/ch@4ohms) and believe me that Yamaha is easily up to the task.

Bill

I believe it has to do with the quality of the amp too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

I believe it has to do with the quality of the amp too.

It does but the OP seems more concerned about the power handling of the 82II's.  With that said, the A-S801 is a nice integrated that has plenty of gusto for the 82II's and one heck of a well designed loudness contour feature.  I really don't think he can go wrong with this Yamaha choice.

Bill

It does but the OP seems more concerned about the power handling of the 82II's.  With that said, the A-S801 is a nice integrated that has plenty of gusto for the 82II's and one heck of a well designed loudness contour feature.  I really don't think he can go wrong with this Yamaha choice.

Bill

True. I've been looking into one of these Yamaha's myself. Budget is around the A-S701 but I want the A-S1000. I've noticed after the 701 they have digital hook ups. What do you use on yours?

5 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

I've noticed after the 701 they have digital hook ups.

Actually from the A-S301 to the A-S801 have a built in DAC.

22 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

What do you use on yours?

I have the matching CD player hooked up with stereo RCAs and my Chromecast Audio with 3.5mm to RCA adapter.  I am currently looking for an affordable DAC to go between the Chromecast Audio and the Yamaha.

Bill

I have the matching CD player hooked up with stereo RCAs and my Chromecast Audio with 3.5mm to RCA adapter.  I am currently looking for an affordable DAC to go between the Chromecast Audio and the Yamaha.

Bill

I'm assuming since they have built in dacs it doesn't matter if you use analog. The Dac takes care of the sounds.

So the A-S1000 doesn't have built on Dac? Why would you need one to go between it and the chrome cast?

3 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

I'm assuming since they have built in dacs it doesn't matter if you use analog. The Dac takes care of the sounds.

Yes the DAC in the CD-S1000 is top shelf with it's dual Burr Brown PCM1796 chips.

10 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

So the A-S1000 doesn't have built on Dac?

All analog.

11 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

Why would you need one to go between it and the chrome cast?

I don't "need" a DAC between the CcA and Yamaha but it does sound better with one.  

Bill

• 2 weeks later...