Any experience with fixed gear bicycles?

parlophone1

I have chance to buy a new fixed gear bike with very nice steel luged frame from 1980s. It is new old stock frame. Everything else on the bike is ordinary. It is assembled by local bike shop.

I went through reviews and opinions on the net, Sheldon Brown site. I have tried this bike in nearby alley. Opinions are divided. Avid cyclists that ride geared machines are mostly against fixed gear unless used on a velodrom, for which they are made. But there are also those who are pro fixed gear and are using them regularly. I understand the difficulties of riding a fixed gear oi inclines abd fast downhils as well as driving in hevy city trafic. 

If any of the forum members have first hand opinions I would appreciate to read. Thanx.

Well some fixed gear do no allow you to coast at all... those are the track bikes. No brakes usually. But the newest trend in fixed bikes have brakes and a freewheel which allows you to coast. Not sure which you have but if your commuting with it you better be good shape.

The pros for fixed gear is very little maintenance but no help on hills. Just depends how your going to use the bike.

If your commuting with it I would recommend a cross bike with fenders for bad weather. Plus a 1980s bike is going to be hard to get parts for cause they changed the way the bottom bracket and headset are mounted.

You didn't say how much this bike was if over 200 I would save for a newer bike with gears.

Repeatedly won race against 3 speeds as a kid. My 24 inch JC Higgins was a fixed gear wonder. Sometimes I won when the geared bike was shifted too quickly before reaching change speed. Did not hurt that my brother was a bike mechanic who rebuilt my bike for me. In the old days, geared appeared not as reliable. Nowadays wow! Enjoy!

1 hour ago, ricktate said:

Well some fixed gear do no allow you to coast at all...

that's not a fixed gear... that is a freewheel.

fixed gear is just a fad, get one if you are fascinated by the trend... you can generally balance more easily on a fixed gear at a stop... but you can also balance fairly easily on a geared bike if you know how.

personally... geared cycling is where you want to be.

Thanks for all advice.

I was also under the same impression. But I am not much into trends. If I were then I would get one 4-5 years ago.

I am somewhat intrigued by all positive experiences from people that use fixed gear bikes regularly, not just try and let go. Among them there are experienced bikers and (former) competitors. I understand that some time trialists still use them for competing. The momentum gained when wheels are moving intrigues me. That is supposed to help also on mild inclines.

I should say that I use my old 10-speed for occasional commute to work (about 10-12 miles in one direction). On my way home I have steady incline of about 7 miles so I have some strength in my legs. I do weekends recreational rides on my trek FX that is adjusted more for the road, having Continental slicks and riding clipless. Rides of 50-60 miles are not a problem but I am not going fast.

For fixed I was not planing to use it on long distance or conquering mountain passes. Just attracted with nice steel compact racing frame and matching fork as well as the philosophy around them. May be just for gaining strength and having some fun. It has front and rear racing breaks so this is covered.  I do not like to skid-brake even if it would not cost me new tires. It is around 300 bucks. With not so light wheels and big frame I would say it weights around 20-22 lbs.

If going for a bike with gears I would not go under Shimano Tiagra or 105 set with lighter wheels and that puts me at least double price (even on discounts) comparing to that fixie.

If you like the bike ask the shop if they can put a freewheel on it. Some rear hubs are flip flop hubs and will take a free wheel on the other side of the hub. Personally I think fixed gear bikes are/ were one of the most dangerous bike trends. Next to going brake less like many bmx riders did for a while (probably still do). I think riding fixed takes away one of the best parts of riding a bike, that free feeling you get while coasting. Fixed gear gets old fast. Ymmv

Thanks,

and yes, the bike has plip-flop hub, just have to install the second chain ring on the other side of the hub.

I rode it shortly around the bike shop. Have to admit it was a funny feeling, but as long as both efficient brakes are on it my fear is not that big. With bigger gear ratio I can not skid anyway, so having breaks is obligatory in my view. Going up on long hills is also no-no for me unless lowering gear ratio, as well as going steep downhill (but that is what breaks are for). Short hills can be attacked but not the long ones. If I put the freewheel in function than I loose the fixed transmission, and then the whole thing will be pointless. That certainly sounds in line with comments that fixed bikes are crippled, but still I can imagine it can be fun if learned how to ride it safely and without many hills.

It reminds me on photographing with old manual film cameras. Have to manually adjust all settings before pressing the shutter, but it provide that certain feeling of closeness with the camera. However, I know when to haul my Nikon F2 and when to take my all automatic SLR. There's a tool for every assignment.

I also can understand what Schu is saying and that is where my rational thinking clicks in.

1 hour ago, parlophone1 said:

If I put the freewheel in function than I loose the fixed transmission, and then the whole thing will be pointless. 

I was referring to a single speed freewheel. No shifters, no adjustment, just a simple drivetrain. A single speed freewheel won't cost you much more than a fixed cog if at all, and you won't hate your bike after ten minutes of riding. See if you can rent a fixed bike from the bike shop. See if you like it before you commit. 

I rode a fixed gear for a couple of seasons for training. I really enjoyed but it is a great way to kill your knees if your reflexes are like mine and you forget that you can't coast. On too many occasions I relaxed to coast only to have my legs jerked forward by the fixed gear. Didn't feel very good. I finally gave it up and retired the frame to  the basement trainer.

• Like 1

I think the fixed gear thing was just a fad to sell more bikes. We never had any or had a request for any where I worked for awhile. Those young guys with the buns on back of their head   [forgot what they are called these days..lol]  riding fixed gear bikes are in for some knee troubles in the future I think.. But if your built like Eric Hyden was and able to break bike frames with your leg strength I would just ride a geared bike.

The only advantage I see is they are lighter,,,less to go wrong with them....

• Like 1

Well that advantage they are lighter also has to be put in the right context. For example, the one that I am looking for is a steel frame and weighs around 20-22 lbs. Compared with similar geared frames it is lighter. However,  cheapest aluminum geared racing bikes these days are lighter than that for about 4 lbs.

Less to go wrong - that I agree, it is the simplest form of bicycle. I am not into braking the bike with the strength of my legs, that is why brakes on fixie is a must for me. Slowing down with my legs - yes, within reasonable.

I know what you mean by going downhill. I am not planning on spining in lightning speed, breaks should do the trick. Since bike is equiped with flip-flop hub, it also has both brakes. But untill about 30 mph I should be able to spin. I found out that it is 46 front and 16 on the rear wheel. The second on the rear would be 18. That one should be enough for hills and single speed.

And the frame is DeRosa :). Last generation before todays modern steel frames. It can be adapted to geared bike with modern drivetrains.