Yamaha A-1050 vs Adcom gfa 5006

I purchased the adcom amp to take some heat off my receiver. I was using It it mono mode to power my mains at 180w per channel and a pair of surrounds. Something was missing specially in music. So when my brother in law came over we did a few sound test. I did the test in 2 channels with RP 280's. I noticed with the adcom powering them in mono they sounded the worse. Almost as if a speaker was missing. I also tried it in stereo mode with the adcom powering them and they sounded slightly better. Finally I tried them straight to the receiver(110w/channel) and They came alive. The sound stage was there. They sounded full and and dynamic. So I'm a little disappointed. The was the main reason I purchased it, to power my mains. So now I'm using it for my surrounds and surround backs. So I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good amp to use for my mains. Something tried and true. Something not to crazy expensive. I listen to music a lot and watch movies a lot too. I don't want to have to set ups due to space. So I'm trying to make it work. I'm pleased with the yammy powering them but I'd rather take some load off of it. Since I listen to music quite a bit and loud. I don't use 2 channel much. I use Dolby music dsp which I really like. bd49e2a6277937db51bad1d01c3b1d95.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I bridged them. It's my first time trying out an external power amp. So I'm learning the good and bad. I figured I'd have to get something with more power. I was just curious to try out bridge mode for the 180 watts it claimed.

Bridged amp channels may not like the load presented, as they'll "see" it as half.  It could be the AVR produces more than adequate power into the load, while the bridged Adcom channels can't.  And Yamaha kit is pretty nice, with pretty respectable amp sections.  Either way, it seems you've found a workable solution, so it's time to start crankin some tunes.

Bridged amp channels may not like the load presented, as they'll "see" it as half.  It could be the AVR produces more than adequate power into the load, while the bridged Adcom channels can't.  And Yamaha kit is pretty nice, with pretty respectable amp sections.  Either way, it seems you've found a workable solution, so it's time to start crankin some tunes.

I think your right. I tested the adcom at high volumes and it introduced distortion in one of the main bridged channels. Not so much in the receiver. It handled high volumes pretty good to the point of discomfort. So maybe it's just a lower end Amp.

Well, I wouldn't call it a lower end amp.  It's probably just fine when operated within it's limits, but it is modestly powered to begin with, and probably current limited into low impedance when bridged.  Bridged amps can run hot too.  I generally avoid bridging, except for maybe bomb-proof pro amps driving subs.

Well, I wouldn't call it a lower end amp.  It's probably just fine when operated within it's limits, but it is modestly powered to begin with, and probably current limited into low impedance when bridged.  Bridged amps can run hot too.  I generally avoid bridging, except for maybe bomb-proof pro amps driving subs.

I think your right. Lesson learned.