Crestron 7 channel amplifier 200 wpc

teaman

Thanks brother for finding those details. Any idea on how to attain that 24v? Is it very complicated?

I see there is a small override button on the right rear of the Crestron amps that needs to be pushed in.....I can figure that part out....lol!

2 minutes ago, teaman said:

Thanks brother. From what I am seeing there there really isn't that much to it. What do you think Dave?

I'm still a bit on the fence.  The website said to provide 24v to the unit, then hit the red override button to use it with a pre-pro.  I wonder if that is a one-time deal or do you need to by-pass the network card every time?

I saw some discussion on it.  I'll try to find those again.

• Like 1

Funny, you were quoting me and I was adjusting my comments....no fair!

Since there are two available we will each buy one and spend endless hours on the phone trying to figure it out....lol!

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I saw that on some of the discussion forums regarding the mods.  I'm not sure exactly what all that means.

I would think you could find a 24v source and supply the amp.  It needs to see that in order to power up so I would think it triggers an internal relay.

4 minutes ago, teaman said:

Funny, you were quoting me and I was adjusting my comments....no fair!

Since there are two available we will each buy one and spend endless hours on the phone trying to figure it out....lol!

Oh, that's great.  We'll run the price up on each other!

This is from AVSforums.com:

I too purchased a Crestron CNAMPX7x200 on eBay a few months back for the same $500 free shipping. Mine is a European model which required a 220V power source which really did not turn out to be a big deal. It was brand new, manufacture date of 2008. It was probably a month after I received it that I put it into service. I was able to supply it with 24V, turned on both front and rear switches and it seems to work fine. It is currently driving 4 overhead Atmos ceiling speaker, front channel, and back surrounds. I have however not been able to trigger it from the main system. I have a new Marantz 8802A which I use to trigger a Panamax 5300PM with several switched an unswitched receptacles. If I plug the 24v power supply into one of the switched receptacles obviously the 24v shuts off and so does the Crestron Amp.

The problem is when the 24v is turned back on via the trigger the amp will not turn back on unless I reach around the back and press the small red relay button. I would really appreciate an help or solutions to this issue thanks. I think I would buy a second one if I could solve the problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2348753-amplifier-options-8-channels-4-surround-4-atmos-2.html

• Like 1

More from that AVSforums.com thread:

The 7X200 is the easiest to modify. Open the chassis, disconnect the "two pin" low voltage connector from the Cresnet circuit board. Use your method of choice to supply the 24 volts dc directly to the 2 wire connector so that it applies 24 volts to the relay. Leave the power switch in the on position if you wish to control the amp from a receiver with a switched outlet.

I installed a barrel connector female socket on the back of the amp, the 24 volt supply plugs into the barrel and a switched power source, such as a receiver. There is no need to supply any power to the Cresnet board, in fact it can removed without issue if you wish. All the red button does is provide a momentary switch to activate the relay, you will be bypassing this circuit.

It may sound complicated, but is a very simple modification.

You are a little confused. The 4 pin external connector labeled "Cresnet" is part of the circuit board you will by-pass entirely. The "two pin" connector I refer to is inside the chassis, attached to the Cresnet board on one end and to the 24 volt relay on the other.

If you use a switched power supply for your 24 volt input and leave the front power switch in the "on" position, the amp will turn on automatically when the 24 volt supply is powered on.

Yes they are heavy, that is why I am unable to supply a picture at this time. I am about to modify a second CNAMPX 16X60, which is a little different, but will post pictures when I do the mod, later this week.

Once you open the chassis of the 7X200 you will understand my description. Good luck.

More from the same thread (has pics)

To control the system remotely, keep power switch "on" at all times. Trigger the power to the CNPWS-75 with a switched outlet on a receiver, a switched outlet on a power center, etc. of your choice. The amp will be in standby, using no power, until the 24 volt circuits are powered on.

The modification of a Crestron CNAMPX-7X200 is extremely simple as the Cresnet board can be removed if you wish and you only have to supply 24 volts to the 2 pin connector attached to the power relay for the amp to turn on remotely as described above.

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It needs to see that in order to power up so I would think it triggers an internal relay.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

you only have to supply 24 volts to the 2 pin connector attached to the power relay for the amp to turn on remotely as described above.

Yup.

CECA, what are you up to next weekend? Feel like stopping over and helping me with it?....hahaha. I am sure it is fairly simple I am just getting myself tied in knots trying to figure it all out.

1 minute ago, teaman said:

Probably not Dave, I have nowhere to go with it...although the project is intriguing!

C'mon man, with the great pre-pro built into all those SR-120's you have and you're not using separate amps?  You're leaving some performance on the table.   :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

If I'm in the neighborhood, absolutely!

Awesome, does next Sunday work for you? I'm right down the street from you....in Michigan. Dave...you are welcome over too. Beer is on me!