Cornwall II joining Chorus II family (pic heavy)

TwinTurbo

Hi Folks, 

Finally got motivated to share some pics of the growing family-- I had posted a few times years ago when I got my first Chorus IIs, under the name Blue Devil Tarheel.  Anyway, as of this week I am dealing with the "problem" of too many speakers.  Could not resist a deal on decorator Cornwall IIs (1975). And Last month got a very clean second set of Chorus IIs (with factory risers). 

The more beat up pair of Choruses has the full Crites treatment (tweeters/caps).  This gave me a chance to compare stock v crites-- big difference. 

Driving them is a 1959 HK Citation II, Tidal HiFi via Schiit DAC.   And in the living room (not pictured) is a pair of KG-2 / HK 430 combo.  

More mods/ updates soon. 

Cheers!

-Lou

DSC_0651.JPG

DSC_0652.JPG

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0648.JPG

DSC_0650.JPG

DSC_0656.JPG

DSC_0662.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Luckily for the neighbors, the Citation's 60 watts (and 2 channels) can't drive the wall of speakers anywhere near their pissing-off potential! 

I quite enjoyed the stack of Chorus wired in parallel on the 4 ohm output.  This is my standing desk workstation, and that puts the sound right in front. Without a preamp, the output from the DAC through the Citations puts out about 92dB (using a phone app meter) 

DSC_0670-001.JPG

Thanks teknoid!  Hope I don't have to sell any of these any time soon. 

Actually there were at least 2 generations of Cornwall II, as I understand it:

http://www.klipsch.com/cornwall-history

"The Cornwall II*, introduced in June of 1959, maintained the same low frequency driver (Eminence) and cabinet design. The primary change was a new exponential tweeter horn/driver combination and a new midrange driver. The tweeter afforded extended response and an improved polar pattern. The midrange driver was primarily a ''transparent" cost reduction, since the earlier driver was the same as that used in the Klipschorn, and as such, had to be padded down significantly to match the Cornwall's bass system. During 1981-1983, the midrange driver went through three major variations. The K-51-V and K-55-G were ceramic magnet versions (two vendors) of the Atlas K-55-V. The "final" version was a Heppner K-52-H. However, this was soon replaced with a Klipsch-built clone, the K-52-K. Obviously these tweeter and midrange changes required corresponding crossover network changes. The total result of all variations was essentially the same, and provided significantly smoother, extended frequency response. Additionally, the horns and woofer were flush-mounted into the baffle to slightly reduce diffraction effects."

Also, the pair I got came with all paperwork, which ID's it as Cornwall II

DSC_0672.JPG

• Like 1