ALK xover - DIY for Forte II schematic

Both boards are fitted, now to take them apart and solder all the crimps. Sure hope the bar solder shows up soon so we can tin the coils and finish this project. These things are looking better than I had thought but by no means a work of art compared to the stuff ALK has put out.  

alkf2.2.JPG

Deang wrote:

On many of those connections, it doesn't look like you have enough room to put a clip/heat sink between your part and your ring tongue. 

I don't understand the point of crimping and soldering, yet stacking the ring tongues together and screwing them down - which will allow air and moisture to creep in (you strive for a gas-less connection, but really won't have a gas-less connection). 

Just random thoughts from the peanut gallery - sorry! 

Thanks Dean for your input, you are way out of league it is not even funny. :) The few resistors are too short as you pointed out but were measured before and after with no change in values. All of the remaining components have enough to clip on a heat sink and was used.

Curious how much free oxygen & moisture is in a non ported enclosure (Forte II)? Suppose one could seal the terminals once assembled to address that possibility. The method chosen was so it could be modular, with any single component being able to be replaced for future evaluation since the budget dictated using things like Solen caps, Lynk resistors and the like.  I did go with stainless steel hardware though.

Note:  Deang I copied your post from jimjimbo's  thread as to not hijack it.

Edited by Alexander
added note

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:59 PM, awsjr said:

with respect to ALK, this layout isn't very good... just looking at it, where's the in & out and the rest ?... you going to fit in a barrier strip to hook up to ?

Here is the pic I promised you. The #14  red & black wire in the center are from the binding posts, #16 red & black are the woofer, #16 yellow & black are for the mid and finally the green & black are to the tweeter.

alk2.3.JPG

11 hours ago, Alexander said:

Well we are as far as we can go on this project until we get the solder for the solder pot!  Hope tomorrow will be the day it shows up, if so we should be trying these xo's by the weekend.

I'm very curious as to how they will sound!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deang said:

You don't need a solder pot - get busy. :-)

Thank you for the video, looks simple enough :)  It is done, putting everything together for the final time and will give them a go tomorrow.

• Like 1

It takes a lot of practice/repetition to get aesthetics to a high level. They look decent enough for your first try. 

What kind of adhesive did you use? Coils should probably be strapped so they don't break loose off the board. Since you will undoubtably build again - not the end of the world at the present time. 

1 hour ago, Deang said:

It takes a lot of practice/repetition to get aesthetics to a high level. They look decent enough for your first try. 

What at kind of adhesive did you use? Coils should probably be strapped so they don't break loose off the board. Since you will undoubtably build again - not the end of the world at the present time. 

Thanks Deang for the kind words, I used regular RTV for the coils just to get things tested. Will strap them down per your suggestion after I know I didn't goof anything up.

• Like 1

Had an issue with one of the squawkers not firring but traced it down to a bad tinning of the 30mh coil. Sometimes I have a problem trying to articulate  but here goes. The first overwhelming impression was as if the re caped stock xo  had a restrictive grill on  and we had removed it with the ALK xo.  Not to say the former was bad but rather how much better the upgrade was. After listening for a while the detail and 3D sound became more and more evident . I really like the new sound this xo gives you. I tried to do an AB comparison but the (out of) phasing was unbearable.  Guess it goes to prove that there are/were drivers out of phase and  that was one of the things ALK was fixing.  All in all it was worth the time and effort to build this, it was a rewording experience and looking forward evaluating this and future component upgrades as money allow.

They sound bigger and fuller is another....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

...DeanG's magical DHA-2 network in my center La Scala.  

Designed by John Albright... It's a really nice sounding crossover. Deans builds are a work of art, but mine still sound magical too.

Bruce