The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

ALK xover - DIY for Forte II schematic

On 24-6-2017 at 1:55 AM, Alexander said:

Had an issue with one of the squawkers not firring but traced it down to a bad tinning of the 30mh coil. Sometimes I have a problem trying to articulate  but here goes. The first overwhelming impression was as if the re caped stock xo  had a restrictive grill on  and we had removed it with the ALK xo.  Not to say the former was bad but rather how much better the upgrade was. After listening for a while the detail and 3D sound became more and more evident . I really like the new sound this xo gives you. I tried to do an AB comparison but the (out of) phasing was unbearable.  Guess it goes to prove that there are/were drivers out of phase and  that was one of the things ALK was fixing.  All in all it was worth the time and effort to build this, it was a rewording experience and looking forward evaluating this and future component upgrades as money allow.

They sound bigger and fuller is another....

Interesting to hear your first impressions! Is there any change in tonal balance with the ALK crossovers?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, Lasz said:

Interesting to hear your first impressions! Is there any change in tonal balance with the ALK crossovers?

Hmmmm, I would say the mids/highs seem to be a bit more forward but it could be because they seem to be smoother & clearer. Have since put the  stockers  back in and want to re do some of the layout.

• Like 1