Khorns with Volti mods (V-Trac etc) north of Boston

jpc2001

No affiliation.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/6153424858.html

The seller doesn't mention the inclusion of the original khorn components.

What's the consensus on the Volti mods and tractrix mid horn? Are they an upgrade? Has anyone made measurements of them? I've seen a few subjective reviews.

I love the Tractrix horns on my KM-6s (if I may make a subjective review myself.) How do they change the sound of vintage heritage stuff?

This imo is a no brainer!!! This is a huge upgrade from the stock drivers and horns!!! I have made lots of measurements, in fact I am in the middle of some measurements now. See the thread titled Bi amp and Tri amp in the mods section it is the first sticky...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jpc2001 said:

No affiliation.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/6153424858.html

The seller doesn't mention the inclusion of the original khorn components.

What's the consensus on the Volti mods and tractrix mid horn? Are they an upgrade? Has anyone made measurements of them? I've seen a few subjective reviews.

I love the Tractrix horns on my KM-6s (if I may make a subjective review myself.) How do they change the sound of vintage heritage stuff?

Offer $1500 and negotiate from there.  Not a terrible deal but if anyone wants real khorns, they are not worth much except for parts (which are way discounted when for sale).

It would be a better deal if they offered the original parts with it as many people want original and shy away from piece together stuff.

36 minutes ago, canyonman said:

This imo is a no brainer!!! This is a huge upgrade from the stock drivers and horns!!! I have made lots of measurements, in fact I am in the middle of some measurements now. See the thread titled Bi amp and Tri amp in the mods section it is the first sticky...

Search doesn't find anything in that thread for Volti, V-Trac, or tractrix.

I have too much gear, somebody else please go get these "no-brainers". Hopefully that doesn't refer to the lobotomy of the original components :)

1 hour ago, jpc2001 said:

Search doesn't find anything in that thread for Volti, V-Trac, or tractrix.

I have too much gear, somebody else please go get these "no-brainers". Hopefully that doesn't refer to the lobotomy of the original components :)

Sorry for the confusion, I am using v tracs and tractrix horns look at the graph I posted or search for my old post on this subject.

Graphs schmaphs - how do they actually sound. Never having the opportunity to A-B side by side my Elliptrac KHorns compared to stock I can say comparing the KHorns in the Hope sound room that the Elliptrac came off as much "softer"; less live, more hi-fi. So is this an upgrade or just a change, modification? Like much of this hobby that is subjective to the individual listener. It's a change, not an upgrade and its no longer Klipsch. I'll be the first to admit that the Hope sound room and its electronics in particular are well below what I listen to at home but that doesn't change the overall sonic character. This is my opinion and the gentleman who purchased my KHorns was thrilled they had been "modified" with Elliptrac and ALK as he was going to do it anyway so I'm not trashing KHorns I sold on this forum. But the upgrade vs. modified definition has been widely discussed here and upgrade is one's perception while modification is the physical change that took place.  

4 minutes ago, richieb said:

Graphs schmaphs - how do they actually sound. Never having the opportunity to A-B side by side my Elliptrac KHorns compared to stock I can say comparing the KHorns in the Hope sound room that the Elliptrac came off as much "softer"; less live, more hi-fi. So is this an upgrade or just a change, modification? Like much of this hobby that is subjective to the individual listener. It's a change, not an upgrade and its no longer Klipsch. I'll be the first to admit that the Hope sound room and its electronics in particular are well below what I listen to at home but that doesn't change the overall sonic character. This is my opinion and the gentleman who purchased my KHorns was thrilled they had been "modified" with Elliptrac and ALK as he was going to do it anyway so I'm not trashing KHorns I sold on this forum. But the upgrade vs. modified definition has been widely discussed here and upgrade is one's perception while modification is the physical change that took place.  

Graphs are a way at looking at what the speaker is doing if you know how to read them. That said it is my opinion and a lot of others on this forum that the V-Tracs are a significant upgrade over the stock horn and driver! There is no doubt about it what so ever, it is not only a change but a huge change in sound quality less distortion and on and on!!! Do some reading on the subject you may find you have learned something.

Disclaimer:  I have not heard these speakers with these upgrades.

I think the asking price of $2K is a no-brainer, based on the reviews of the components listed.  These ought to sound outstanding, all for less than the price of a standard Khorn from 1960-1971, which in my book averages $2250.

• Like 1

You're correct - it is your opinion, nothing more and indeed leaves doubt about it. I read and see and respect the many here with a far greater knowledge on the scientific side of audio but for me I only listen with my ears as evaluators not graphs. And I have a hard time believing that Volti and Fastlane, both with great craftsmanship, have the engineering chops for horn design as did PK and R Delgado. I wonder how an Elliptrac would " graph" in the anechoic chamber in Hope. And it quite possibly has been. I believe I have read on more than one occasion where Mr. Bonehead cited the various shortfalls of the Fastlane design(s). 

13 minutes ago, richieb said:

You're correct - it is your opinion, nothing more and indeed leaves doubt about it.

I qualified my comment, I have never heard these speakers, so it is indeed my opinion.

What is not my opinion is the dollar amount of the upgrades, about $3910 or so.  Add to that a pair of Khorns from that era, using the average price of about $2250 and we have a package valued around $6160 at current market value if you bought all those things now.  Is it worth the asking price of $2,000?

You do the math.  B)

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I qualified my comment, I have never heard these speakers, so it is indeed my opinion.

What is not my opinion is the dollar amount of the upgrades, about $3910 or so.  Add to that a pair of Khorns from that era, using the average price of about $2250 and we have a package valued around $6160 at current market value if you bought all those things now.  Is it worth the asking price of $2,000?

You do the math.  B)

While I sold my modified KHorns for substantially more than those advertised, and in three short hours I might add, it was to someone who valued and wanted said mods. I had also received two PM's asking if I had the OE parts so they could spin the mods and revert back to original. The modded KHorns had no value to them, they wanted stock. And as I've tried but obviously failed at saying - to each his own. Like beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder --

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richieb said:

While I sold my modified KHorns for substantially more than those advertised, and in three short hours I might add, it was to someone who valued and wanted said mods. I had also received two PM's asking if I had the OE parts so they could spin the mods and revert back to original. The modded KHorns had no value to them, they wanted stock.

And as I've tried but obviously failed at saying - to each his own. Like beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder --

No, you haven't failed to make that point.  To me that point is well taken.

There is a market for people who value speakers in their stock form, which we refer to as "unmolested."  Nothing wrong with that, many prefer that either to hear them in their intended configuration, or so they can do their own mods.

There is also a group who don't want to DIY speakers but who want high performance components.  Both kinds of buyers are OK.

I just read the Stereophile review of the latest Volti speakers and they received high praise. If they were local to me I would buy them just to hear them. I think my dream speakers are Avante Garde....even though I have never heard those either. I love horns and the ultra modern looks of Avante Gardes are right up my alley.

trio_bild1.jpg

basshorn_bild1.jpg

• Like 1