Khorns with Volti mods (V-Trac etc) north of Boston

jpc2001

3 minutes ago, teaman said:

I think my dream speakers are Avante Garde....even though I have never heard those either. I love horns and the ultra modern looks of Avante Gardes are right up my alley.

If you like those, would you like these?  They are available in colors also, although I don't know anything about them or how they would be crossed over or powered.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/autotech-horns.html

tract_350.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, babadono said:

Double blind test of "new" Volti and Klipsch Cornwalls would be interesting.

Oops wrong thread, or is it?

This is an Alerts! Forum sale and not one from a forum member.  I don't think a little thread drift in the Alerts! Forum is too bad.

Hello, I went the other route and went with Altec Multicell custom 1505B wood horns Altec 288C drivers  Beyma CP-25 tweeters and  La Scalas on the bottom. Crites AA x-overs. I've yet to really here much that is better for under 20,000.00 I am in to the speakers  for about  3500.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 702retrotodd said:

Hello, I went the other route and went with Altec Multicell custom 1505B wood horns Altec 288C drivers  Beyma CP-25 tweeters and  La Scalas on the bottom. Crites AA x-overs. I've yet to really here much that is better for under 20,000.00 I am in to the speakers  for about  3500.

If you get a chance, start a new thread.  I think a lot of people would be interested in your observations.

And don't forget pictures.  We like pictures.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 702retrotodd said:

Sounds familiar.  Are you located in Las Vegas?

Back to the original post and question, it is a fair deal but not a no brainer. Had the original components been included, yes, great deal. I also think there is work to do as it does not look as if the Volti "upgrades" have been installed. Not a huge deal but still some labor involved.

I bought a pair of Volti "upgraded" Belles that were almost identical to my existing pair. These came with all original pieces and parts so to me were a slam dunk. I did do A/B testing for about a month, and forced about a dozen non-audiophiles to listen as well. Everyone that had a preference, chose the Volti pair. I liked them both so much, I never picked a winner. (I was also the oldest person in this unscientific test) I now have a pair in my living room and a pair in my basement and am happy as a clam listening to either pair.

As has been mentioned earlier, make an offer that works for you. If he takes it, you have a great pair of speakers. If not, keep looking. Remember, the sooner you buy the sooner you get to start listening to excellent speakers. Maybe not the best out there or the end all deal of a lifetime, but waiting for that is time you don't get back. Kinda depends on what you are listening to now.

OP:

I've done extensive testing of the Volti horn with the B&C DCM driver - compared to the k400/k55 and the Klipsch K5J/K55, with numerous crossovers including ALK universal, etc. You can search for my thread "comparing vintage Klipschorn woofers, midrange, etc., in the technical section. You can review the measurements and comparisons I've made there, but in my opinion, the Volti horn, properly integrated with the right crossover, is an upgrade to the stock k400/401 which is often identified as the biggest issue with the Klipschorn. Some will prefer the Klipsch house sound with the k400, but there is a reason that after all these years, Klipsch refined the midrange crossover down to 4500hz. 

I will I'll also add this:  there is a lot going on with the Klipschorn when it comes to proper woofer/bass horn integration and crossover to a particular midrange horn - and achieving real improvements is a bit more complex than simply dropping in a different mid horn, driver, etc. Having said that, I would agree with most that even the simple "drop in" of the Volti midrange horn offers the Klipschorn a more listenable sound at a minimum. 

FWIW, I wouldn't shy away from a pair of Klipschorns with Volti horns.

-BeFuddledInMn