Crossover Settings for RP Speakers

Drewski

Hey All, 

Finally got my Klipsch 5.1.2 HT ready to roll. I purchased the following and loving it so far. 

Klipsch RP-250F Fronts

Klipsch RP-250C Center

Klipsch RP-150M Surround

Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos

Klipsch R-112SW Subwoofer

Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301

I was wondering what the optimal crossover point. I have everything set to 80hz right now. I don't feel much movement from the 5.25" drivers. Is that normal? Does anyone suggest a better crossover for these speakers? 

Thanks

Drew

• Like 1

The XO setting should be 10 to 15 Hz above the weakest speaker when using a subwoofer.

RP 160  45  Hz - 25 kHz

RP 250  60 Hz - 25 kHz

RP 140  usually dolby recommends 100 Hz to 10 kH

RP 150 48 Hz - 25 kHz

SW112 24 Hz - 125 kHz

the weakest speakers are the RP 140 and RP 150

An 80 Hz XO should be OK.  Some avr's will limit the Atmos content to protect the RP 140 but, a XO of 100 Hz should be optimal if using the RP 140 as the weakest speaker.  I use a 100 Hz XO.  The drivers don't need to be popping out like crazy.

Great stuff, I'll give that a shot. They sound awesome at 80hz hopefully this will round out the bass a little more. The R-112SW kicks hard even at half volume. 

Edited by Drewski

Put your hand, very gently, over the cone of the 112SW when it's going, that is where you will feel excursion.

The front/main speakers don't move a lot unless you push them to their limits, which is not necessary unless you're playing an outdoor venue :)

Speakers do take a while to break in, contrary to the beliefs of some.  Some maybe more than others, but the subwoofers in particular I have found are very stiff out of the box and loosen up quickly with some play.  The woofers in the mains also...they will become a bit more compliant and sound better after a few weeks of listening.  You don't need to do anything different at all, just listen and let them break in on their own.  Like a nice new pair of shoes. 

Crossover point is really best based upon measurements in the room.  The subwoofer can and should be located in a place where the response is smooth especially from the bottom up until the crossover point.  Depending upon the room and the placement of the mains, the front speakers may -- or may not -- play well at 60hz, 80hz or even 100hz.  If you don't have a measurement mic (which is fine), then listen carefully to some of your favorite music that you know has that impact/slam sound to it -- turn it up.  Change the crossover and listen to what sounds the fullest, and clearest without sounding at all thin (or boomy).  That's likely what is best for your setup.  

As mentioned above, don't set the crossover below the recommended setting unless you really know what you're doing and why...so if Atmos requires 100hz then use that for the Atmos speakers.  If your AVR doesn't let you set different crossovers, set it to 100hz then in that case.  Higher crossovers are usually fine, up until say 120hz, possibly 150hz.  Lower crossovers require that the main speakers be placed well so there is no huge dips or peaks -- which are quite common for mains in the low frequencies.