Cornwall 1983 Parts Rebuild Help

I have a pair of Cornwalls from 1983 and I am trying to identify all of the speakers it came with and the crossover network it is using. I am going to rebuild or replace the crossovers soon.

I have attached some pictures.

From reading the Klipsch History Guide found on here I have concluded the following. Let me know if you see any errors.

The Tweeter is an Electro Voice

The Woofer is An Eminecne K33

The Horn/Midrange has no markings. so I need help on this one.

Also on the crossover there are some numbers but I cant find anything about them.

Thanks for the help.

inside 1.jpg

FYI, up to 1983, the serial number will be stamped into the back side of the cabinet (it would include a Y in stamping for 1983) plus a tag stapled to the back.  Newer years used only the tag stapled to the back, which could be removed.

The network is definitely B-3.  It will say so on a plate on the side below the terminals.  See Internet image that I attached.  By the way, the crossover components look awfully clean, despite being 30+ years old.

You appear to have a late 1983 Cornwalls, which has the exact same setup as my late 1984 Cornwalls, see below;

B-3 crossover network
K-33-E woofer
K-57-K midrange (K-52-K driver with K-601 composite horn)
K-77-M tweeter (K-77-M square magnet driver with K-77 metal horn)

To my ears, they are wonderful.  I've yet to upgrade anything in mine.  Good luck!

P.S. How do the cabinets look?  Feel free to post pix.

3-1411621-klipsch-crossovers-type-b3-from-84-cornwall-1.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Alpha220 said:

The network is definitely B-3.  It will say so on a plate on the side below the terminals. IT DOES

By the way, the crossover components look awfully clean, despite being 30+ years old.   YES THEY DO!

You appear to have a late 1983 Cornwalls, which has the exact same setup as my late 1984 Cornwalls, see below;

B-3 crossover network
K-33-E woofer
K-57-K midrange (K-52-K driver with K-601 composite horn)
K-77-M tweeter (K-77-M square magnet driver with K-77 composite horn)

To my ears, they are wonderful.  I've yet to upgrade anything in mine.  Good luck!

P.S. How do the cabinets look?  Feel free to post pix. The cabinets are a little beat up, some of the front oak has peeled off. I am going to fix them after I go through the rest of the speaker 1st. The cane speaker grills are shot. I will use the old speaker grill as a template to make a new one. Not sure what I will cover it with, not a fan of the cane but not sure I want black either.

cw side.jpg

2 hours ago, djk said:

Enlarging the first photo, I see a K600 metal horn with a K52H midrange driver.

Oh, you may be correct about this.  Attached is the only internal mid photo I have from my 1984 Cornwalls.  While the driver looks similar, the horn has more bolts on mine.  Certainly a photo from the front will indicate whether it's plastic or metal.  (And good eye!  Amazing catch.)

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

The crossovers being "clean" means little.  The capacitors are 34 years old.  They need to be replaced.

Totally agree.  Just sayin', they do look nice.

IMG_5337_sm.jpg

If metal, these 1983's would be like this other member's 1983's (which does make sense) --> 

Therefore, the OPs combo would be:

B-3 crossover network
K-33-E woofer
K-52-H midrange (K-52-H driver with K-600 metal horn) <-- Is that correct, so many different configs. possible
K-77-M tweeter (K-77-M square magnet driver with K-77 metal horn)

The small black motor runs (2mfd) are definitely shot, but that big Aerovox on the woofer is actually a good quality film, and I would reuse it. 

Buy 2uF AudioCap PPT Thetas or 2.2 uF Jupiters VT capacitors to replace the junk motor runs.

Dean, hello.  Good info and insight there on the B-3 network.  As you probably know, the B-3 is the least discussed Cornwall network, since it was used only briefly (maybe 2.5 years, 1983 to 1985) during the Cornwall production run.  I'm in the same boat with 1984 units that still sound wonderful.  Your comment made me wonder if anyone has actually identified the B-3 components to determine their quality/usable life.  This is the first time I've read that that big fat white and blue capacitor might be better quality than those used in other B networks.  From a Google search, "run capacitors are mostly polypropylene film capacitors".  So could the small black capacitors be OK, too?  I could take a close look at one of my B-3's and provide the exact component info, if that would help.

I'd be interested to known if anyone has tested a B-3 this decade to see how far out-of-spec it actually is.  No doubt that higher quality, new components would be ideal, but are these OK for a while longer?

Also, it does appear that the the B-3 was specifically designed as second-order for all drivers, so swapping to a third-party universal network model (without consideration/adjustment for the Cornwall 1.5 builds) may not improve sound, no matter what quality the build.

Other than replacing B-3 components, if a new network is desired, it appears that Bob Crites' B-3 is the best (and maybe, safest) choice for Cornwall 1.5's, as he sticks to the original Klipsch design.

P.S. I know that there's an informative Dope From Hope paper on the B-2 network, but I've yet to see any Klipsch documentation on the B-3.

I have an identical set of cornwalls. 1983 with B3 crossovers , drivers all identical. 

I went with the ALK AP12-600 and ES5800 crossovers, a marked improvement over the B3. 

Crites are nicely made but no real improvement to stock except fresh capacitors.  If you stay stock just change the black square motor run cap and save up for the ALK's . 

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2017 at 2:51 PM, Alpha220 said:

I'd be interested to known if anyone has tested a B-3 this decade to see how far out-of-spec it actually is.  No doubt that higher quality, new components would be ideal, but are these OK for a while longer?

When I bought my 1983 CW, with original B3 networks (back in April '17) – the seller measured the big white capacitors on each of the networks and they both read 67.2 microfarads (exact match). At the time, he said this was within spec (I would not know this)... we did not measure any of the other components.

• Anybody know how this compares to new specs?

• 3 years later...