Cornwall 1983 Parts Rebuild Help

On 6/2/2017 at 6:38 PM, DaMuffinMan said:

What crossovers do you recommend to replace these with, a kit from Crites, or source them from somewhere else? I have no problem doing this myself.

your best option is to buy  klipsch original capacitors , this would restore the klipsch sound , anything else will sound very different ,

the klipsch Crossover repair Center for the USA sell  upgrade kits for your crossovers  :

@JEM Performance  JEM Performance Audio  (412) 401-6915       Email   theaudioroom@verizon.net 

18 hours ago, 001 said:

k-52  Heppner ... 16 Ohms 

18 hours ago, jason.justice said:

whoa. ok! thanks OO1!

These are listed as 16ohm but always measure just under 12 ohm, 11.8 or so is normal. 

22 hours ago, 001 said:

your best option is to buy klipsch original capacitors, this would restore the klipsch sound, anything else will sound very different ,

Why do you always assume that everyone is just wild about the stock sound? Just curious.

Yes, modifying the network will change the sound -- that's the point.

1 hour ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Yes, modifying the network will change the sound -- that's the point.

How dare you question Klipsch engineers, how dare you!! 

Every room and amplifier sound exactly the same and everyone has the same taste and preferences so stock Klipsch sound is what's always best! 

Do we need to turn you in for spreading misinformation? What are you up to, 70 cents now? If the Chief sees this you may end up back down to 50..

gretahowdareyou.jpg

• Haha 1

When I look at this network again it really is an interesting piece of work. Looks like they use LWR 2nd order to cross the woofer at around 320hz and at the top end a 2nd order Cheyby at around 6400hz. Not sure about the mid...got me stumped!!

10 hours ago, consistent said:

Not sure about the mid...got me stumped!!

It is an interesting circuit, as the 11.4mh inductance between taps 0-3 must have been too high to get the desired transfer function.  The 2.5mh inductor is in parallel with the 5.8mh inductance between taps 0-2.  That equates to around 1.75mh.  That inductance, coupled with the windings between taps 2-3, equates to around 3.5mh.  Oddly enough, I believe a 5mh inductor across taps 0-3 (11.4mh) would have worked as well, as that parallel combination also equates to around 3.5mh.