Are 4780 cubic feet OK for Khorns?

SiliconTi

OK, I love my La Scalas, but have a chance to acquire a set of Khorns (1977 or 1987, my choice).

My living room is 13' wide, 23' long with a cathedral ceiling that slopes for one side up giving a ceiling height of 12' on one side and 20' on the other.

Floor is carpeted, couch and loveseat are in there (fabric, not leather). I have natural corners on the short wall, so they would be about 11' apart or so.

Thoughts?

Imaging will be affected by the cathedral ceiling if the speakers are not symmetrical to the ceiling (don't have one on the 8' side and the other on the 20' side).  Might be trade offs either way though. Sounds like a nice size room.

Go for it!  I'd get the 1987, for its front mounted tweeter, and (probable) fiberglass mid horn.  There may be other factors. 

An outlandish, but tempting, alternative room layout would be one Khorn in one natural corner, the other Khorn in an attractive artificial corner, and a La Scala in the middle, dead center, so you have a wall of sound 23 feet wide.  Do you have a preamp or receiver with a center channel output, and an extra amp?

• Like 1

If they are reasonably priced, buy them. Try them in your house, and if you don't like them, sell them for what you have into them, maybe more. That way you will have personal experience in your own home.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:10 PM, garyrc said:

Go for it!  I'd get the 1987, for its front mounted tweeter, and (probable) fiberglass mid horn.  There may be other factors. 

An outlandish, but tempting, alternative room layout would be one Khorn in one natural corner, the other Khorn in an attractive artificial corner, and a La Scala in the middle, dead center, so you have a wall of sound 23 feet wide.  Do you have a preamp or receiver with a center channel output, and an extra amp?

This.Right Here. It'll be the last stereo system you'll ever want (or need).

• Like 1