What's the Difference??

cgolf70

Everyone will have their opinions of course, but for my money forte or especially forte IIs are the best bang for the buck.  Some prefer the sound of the Cornwalls, but to me the forte is better balanced.   The Quartet is the little brother of the forte and are quite good, but they are smaller.  The Heresies are the very much smaller brother of the Cornwall, and most people would agree that because of less bass extension they do best paired with a subwoofer.  You can't really go wrong with any of these, and how you will be using them and the room they will be in should be considered.  If you look carefully enough on the Klipsch website, you can find specs on all of these, look in discontinued I believe.

• Like 1

I have owned one pair of forte's, two pairs of Quartets, and currently own one pair of Heresy I's and one pair of Heresy II's.

I still own HI's and HII's.  Need I say more.;)

No but seriously, forte's are incredible well balanced speakers that are not too amplifier picky but usually do take some placement and toe-in experimentation to get it "right".

I paid $450.00 for my "minty" oak oil pair back in 2009 or 2010 and current values have remained pretty consistent with that.  If in presentable condition, then I say go for it.

Bill

• Like 1

I'd rank them by original price (used prices will roughly follow along) and maybe woofer size. Typically, the larger woofer and the larger cabinet will play lower frequencies. You'll also find as you go up the chain that the speakers are more efficient, but Klipsch Heritage Series speakers are already so silly efficient, beginning with the Heresy's, that I don't think it matters much. ( I should clarify that while the Quartet and Forte are not technically "Heritage" series speakers, they share some of the qualities, and the fan base, due to their performance. I guess you could say the Heritage series can be identified by the fact that they're usually made-to-order.)

The Heresy's are at the bottom of the list but by no means slackers. Some people complain they have a limited low end since they only reach into the 50Hz range, but rock music doesn't go lower than that so they'd be a perfect rock music speaker.

Next up would be the Quartet as it has a 10" woofer and a 12" passive radiator.

The Quartet's larger brother is the Forte, with a 12" woofer and a 12" passive radiator. By the way, $450 for a pair of Forte's is a very good price. Of course, that depends on what you expect the cabinets to look like.

At the top of the list is the Cornwall, with a 15" vented woofer.

This is all great info.  One more question.  I know this is very subjective but since I'm new to the vintage Klipsch speakers, I'll ask it anyway.  I can get a pair of Quartets or a pair of KLF-10s for about the same price ~$450, maybe a bit lower.  I plan to use them for surrounds right now until further notice.

Should I grab one over the other?

Mains are RP280s.  If I do get either the KLFs or the Quartets, they will be surrounds for awhile until I decide what else to do with them.  I realize they are totally different speaker systems but was really just wondering if I should jump on one or the other for some unknown reason.  If not, I'll go with whatever is available or whichever sounds the best if I have that choice.

Edited by cgolf70

the klf 10 should be a little cheaper around 300 or so, but I must admit they are a great speaker. I have a pair in my 7.1 system. They were my front left and right until my son gave me a pair of klf 20. Now they are my left and right rears. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 5:05 PM, cgolf70 said:

And is one more rare, better or more valued than the others?

Forte, Heresy, Cornwall, Quartet.....

I found a pair of Fortes for $450 but have no idea where they rank in sound, value, etc.

I've had a pair of Forte IIs since 1989. About 5 yrs ago I changed out the X-overs and tweeter diaphragms. these speakers will outlive me.

The Fortes are a great speaker.
If the choice was mine, assuming that the cabinets are in decent shape, I'd go for the Fortes for $450 and the next day I'd call Crites and get the parts needed to upgrade.

These will be a great sounding pair for under $1000

• Like 2

I agree with EJC, my story is similar, I also bought Forte II's new, in 1990. Made same upgrades from Bob Critics by upgrading Crossovers, plus changed both the Tweeters and Mids to Titanium.

Those changes took these great speakers up a big notch, in improving their sound experience.

Whenever I have considered replacing them; I go listen to various options available. Always reaching same conclusion, new speakers and spending more money hasn't led me to anything that motivates me to replace. Forte II's, continue to deliver a beautiful sound experience and their is nothing to gain by replacing them.

One of the few purchases that I have made, that never presented buyers remorse.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk