Strange indeed: mega-watt harm to LaScalas

JohnJ

On 6/4/2017 at 5:19 PM, JohnJ said:

So that's two of you putting double the 100 watts per channel into them without issue. I'd assumed they would be well built, they're two rungs up the proverbial ladder from my Heresys that are built like tanks.

If I get the chance to listen to more I'll go if it isn't a ten hour drive. I responded to a person somewhere in upstate SC near here with a pair. Also a pair listed in Chattanoga, TN that would be an all in a day road trip.

The LaScalas are a little bigger than I envisioned looking at the dimensions on the screen.

If you head to Chattanooga, I'm just south of Knoxville.  You're welcome to swing by (if it could be timed properly with work) and hear some other Klipsch goodies.

Oh, and they are powered by a Crown K2, each (actively bi-amped)  something like 300/400 watts into 8 ohms (HA, I'm not even sure!!)  Sound great.

Makes three...(there are others too)

I've had people at my house, making the drive from:  Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Lexington, Staten Island

• Like 1

I really just wanted to see what they could do with a lot of clean power fed to them, and it's a lot. I gave up before they did lol. According to the meters on the amp I rarely hit the 62.5 watt level and that is unbelievably loud. Peaks are usually hitting the 30 watt level

The bottom line is unless a fool is at the control, mega watts should not kill speakers.  Speakers need about 15 db of head room for dynamics.  With that said, the main listening level should not be that high where megawattage comes into play for 99% of the material that one wishes to listen to.

You can pretty much power any speaker with home audio design amplification or pro amps but, be reasonable in the volume department based on the speaker and amp.  No advice  or gear can help a fool on the other end of the controls

1 hour ago, Big Star said:

Just a thought....

in his phono pre-amp set up, might he have had the stylus type set up wrong?

Could have been, he was messing with it when I got there. A number of things crossed my mind. Too much firepower on a rack inside a small closet, wiring...angry ex.

Irregardless, pulling out a tape and visualizing the size of the LaScala II wasn't the same for me as standing next to one. Too big for me now.  

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Not worried just having fun & it's a real word to this almost 54 yr old. 

I think Thaddeus Smith is alright, like his `tude!

My post was more for him than anything else.  I gave him a couple things to correct and feel good about himself.

Speaking of power. I've found that regardless of what I'm pushing my Bell's with be it a Marantz 2500 @ 250 wpc or Sony str 7055 @ 35 wpc there is a sweet spot to both. Type of music, your distance from speakers and the environment all have to be factors when cranking up or turning down the the volume. 

Of course this won't help the tone deaf.