Duratex & Speakon; La Scala, Heresy & TH subs

On 8/22/2017 at 8:01 AM, DizRotus said:

Mike-

I like what you did.  If I'd been doing those for personal use, rather than the HS band, I'd have used the same folding handles and installed them higher, as you did.  In my case, the "improvements," were more important to me than to the band director.  The primary use of the handles, in my case, is to hoist them up above the lockers.  

IMG_0142.JPG

What kind of LaScala is this never seen one with extra bracing in the doghouse?

• 5 weeks later...

FYI, don't get Duratex on a washing machine.  A tiny spot of Duratex hit the washing machine while cleaning the brush and roller.  I didn't notice it for several days.  Even though the surface is shiny plastic, that tiny spot of Duratex was the devil to remove.  If it'll stick to that surface and resist being chipped off, imagine how well it protects cabinets.

SWMBO was upset that I used the laundry tub to clean up.  I tried to convince her the good news is the front-loader now serves double duty as a subwoofer.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2017 at 7:09 PM, DizRotus said:

IMG_2077 (Medium).JPG

Since the above photo was taken, I decided to make another modification.  There are now two Speakon connectors on each sub.  One is just below the hatch and the other is on the side directly around the corner.   Each pair of subs has the side Speakon in mirror image of the other.  The theory is that the two locations give more flexibility positioning the subs, whether standing or on their side.  It also makes it easy to connect two subs together in. parallel or series.  Naturally, the hole in the hatch has been filled.

The photo below shows a first coat of Duratex on one of the TH subs and the pair of @ClaudeJ1's "Super Heresy" speakers.  In the unlike event you haven't inferred as much by now, I love Duratex.  It's relatively expensive but worth every penny.  It covers a multitude of sins, is easy to apply and is durable. 

20171029_175752 (Medium).jpg