Duratex & Speakon; La Scala, Heresy & TH subs

10 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That photo shows one of my perceived dilemmas.  The square opening doesn't appear to be large enough to deliver the driver without an episiotomy.  Furthermore, how would I get at the screws attaching the woofer?  Perhaps replacing the broken binding posts and permitting woofer removal in the future is too ambitious.

The picture is just something I grabbed off the interwebs, as a reference. Your opening will be rectangular, so you can get at the screws and tilt the woofer to get it out.

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't use a pattern. Just draw some lines with a straight edge and a pencil on the back of the cabinets. NOTE: if you're going with the cutout like the picture I posted, you will be cutting twice. First for the inner circles that will be cut through and the outer circle that is only half depth, leaving a lip for your panel to rest on.

• Like 1

Just now, CECAA850 said:

The easiest tool to cut that would be an oscillating tool.  You can blow the driver out with compressed air when you're done.

Once the cut out is done, you can remove the driver and clean it if necessary.

• Like 1

This is what I like about this forum; it's active.  Sure a lot of the activity is not specifically audio related, but it keeps members engaged.  If I posted this on the DIYaudio forum, or any of several other audio forums I haunt, weeks could go by without any response, if ever.  On this great forum, useful responses, from people whose opinions I value, come faster than I can reply to them.  I'm willing to ignore the "comedic" responses, if necessary, to glean the useful info.  Thank you very much.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Not cheap stuff but Festool has a depth attachment for their oscillating saw

Depth really isn't an issue here.  You can feel when you're though.

My son has a big subwoofer box in his truck and one of the box to body bolts came loose in the bottom of the box.  You could hear it vibrating on some notes.  He didn't want to have to take the driver or box out to fix it.  We bought a pro style cabinet carrying handle, cut a hole in the side of the box, tightened the bolt and installed the handle to cover the hole.  I used my oscillating tool to cut the 3/4" birch box.  It only took a couple minutes for the whole (hole lol) repair.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 0:59 PM, CECAA850 said:

Depth really isn't an issue here.  You can feel when you're though.

My son has a big subwoofer box in his truck and one of the box to body bolts came loose in the bottom of the box.  You could hear it vibrating on some notes.  He didn't want to have to take the driver or box out to fix it.  We bought a pro style cabinet carrying handle, cut a hole in the side of the box, tightened the bolt and installed the handle to cover the hole.  I used my oscillating tool to cut the 3/4" birch box.  It only took a couple minutes for the whole (hole lol) repair.

Carl,

Depth seems to be an issue to me.  I like @USNRET's suggestion to cut just short of breaking through.  That would avoid getting any sawdust in the driver.  The final cut would be done with a utility knife.

As Coytee stated, an excuse to buy a new tool is always welcomed.  I'm not sure what is meant by an oscillating saw, but I feel like my life won't be complete without one.  I have saber saws, a Dremel and a router.  What is an oscillating saw, and what will it do that I can't do with what's on hand?

Best of all, I can treat the purchase of a new power tool as a business expense.

Is a tool you'll kick yourself for not buying one sooner.  I always thought it was a gimmick tool till I bought one and now it's my go to tool for so many things.   I'm currently putting a floor in my bedroomand using it to undercut the door jambs.  Nothing works better.  Let me switch over to my pc and I'll get you a link.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Is a tool you'll kick yourself for not buying one sooner.  I always thought it was a gimmick tool till I bought one and now it's my go to tool for so many things.   I'm currently putting a floor in my bedroomand using it to undercut the door jambs.  Nothing works better.  Let me switch over to my pc and I'll get you a link.

Cool!

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I have a Sonicrafter.  https://www.rockwelltools.com/sonicrafter-f50-oscillating-tool-rk5142k.html  There's tons of different brands.  I can't stress enough how versatile this tool is for working in tight spots or plunge cutting.  There's nothing like it.

That's what I thought you meant.  I see one in my future.

For today I can set my router to plunge to a depth leaving a minimum thickness of material.

IMG_0008.JPG

It's hot outside.  My new iPad flashed a warning, "Emergency" and advised that the iPad had to cool down before it could be used.  Just as well, the photos it takes are >2mb, therefore, can't be uploaded.  Seeing no way to resize them on the iPad, I switched to a real camera.

From the photos -- which will be attached to the next few posts -- you'll see that I plan to make the panel fit into the opening so that it is essentially flush with the inside.  I might follow the suggestion to screw the plug in place and then cover it with Duratex to add to the seal.  Cutting the Duratex at a later date would not be difficult.