Subwoofer Amp With Built In DSP...

SWL

For the last week I've had a Crown Macro-tech 3600vz in my possession. A friend is letting me demo it.

Got off early today for the holiday weekend and before I hooked it up to the Tubas (that require very little power) I hooked it up to my (2) 18" EV subs in the basement system.

This was very encouraging because with the Behringer powering these subs, they pretty much sound like ***. With the Crown they sounded very, very good.....to the point I'm tempted to lug them up into the main system.

This amp is almost 1200 watts at 8 ohms! So I'm very leary to power the Tubas with it but I've been advised that if I keep the gains down low everything should be cool.

Initially, I had this amp hooked up to my KLF-30's. It has a unique sound but the bass is really where it shined....bass with a lot of weight to it. Serious balls but very, very clean.

I'll try to get around to hooking it up to the Tubas this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

There is no usable DSP in the Crown XLS like you envision, only very basic functions like a pretty primitive crossover.  It's nothing like the iNuke or MiniDSP or Xilica.  Be aware that the XTI series is much louder if you have them in the same room.  

• Like 1

Sounds like you like!

Yes. I was demoing the amp over the extended holiday weekend and I think on Saturday I'm gonna fork over the cash.

On my mains, I go back and forth between a Crown K2 and an HH Scott 222c. A pleasant surprise.....when using the Crown Macro-tech on the subs and the Crown K2 on the mains, there is a distinct compatability with the bass. Everything just gels.

I noticed this when I hooked up the 222c. It just wasn't the same. Went back to the Crown combo and it was evident. Very cool.

I'm sticking with the Macro-tech for bass duty. It does it pretty damn well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What about them don't you like?  They have enough power to tear those drivers apart.

Last week I spent some time with the Behringer EP4000.....and glad I did.

Fired it up, still in Parallel Mono mode....same crappy sound. Flipped the dip switches over to Stereo Mode and the amp was transformed. Sounds great. Damn near as good as the Macrotech....actually, in many ways I prefer the EP4000. I could go either way depending how I want to hear my bass.

The Macrotech has a fuller, broader more room filling bass with a lot of weight to it. The Behringer has damn near as much weight to it but integrates into my system with more clarity than the Macrotech (slightly). Like I said, I could go either way but am always pulling for the underdog. In this case, the affordable EP4000. Bang for the buck is an understatement.

So evidently, the Parallel Mono mode in the Behringer took a dump somewhere along the line. I'm thinking about six months ago. I had a couple of threads here describing the problem thinking it could have been a couple of other things but now I know what it is. Finally.

Very satisfied with the Behringer/Tuba combo. Carl, I'm curious.....do you have your EP2500 in stereo or parallel mono?

56 minutes ago, SWL said:

Last week I spent some time with the Behringer EP4000.....and glad I did.

Fired it up, still in Parallel Mono mode....same crappy sound. Flipped the dip switches over to Stereo Mode and the amp was transformed. Sounds great. Damn near as good as the Macrotech....actually, in many ways I prefer the EP4000. I could go either way depending how I want to hear my bass.

The Macrotech has a fuller, broader more room filling bass with a lot of weight to it. The Behringer has damn near as much weight to it but integrates into my system with more clarity than the Macrotech (slightly). Like I said, I could go either way but am always pulling for the underdog. In this case, the affordable EP4000. Bang for the buck is an understatement.

So evidently, the Parallel Mono mode in the Behringer took a dump somewhere along the line. I'm thinking about six months ago. I had a couple of threads here describing the problem thinking it could have been a couple of other things but now I know what it is. Finally.

Very satisfied with the Behringer/Tuba combo. Carl, I'm curious.....do you have your EP2500 in stereo or parallel mono?

Stereo.   I run 2 drivers off each side wired to 2 Ohms per side.  It's been running like that around 10 years.  Never a hick up.

• Like 1