Car Thread

burninator

40 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:
14 hours ago, Matthews said:

871 blower on a 496 big block, tubbed with all the goodies.

Sheeze, 850hp? That is a beast. Did you drive it? Addictive, that kind of power is.

I did not drive it "JL".  I am sure it is pumping some very SERIOUS horsepower.  Luckily the seller is a two hour drive away.  He offered to trailer it down but I declined.  If it were a short bed, that baby would likely be in my garage right now :wacko:  However, my '23 T is nothing to shake a stick at, 600+ hp at a 1:3 power to weight ratio (bring a clean pair of underpants :P)

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: dammit! I just contacted him again.  OMGosh, I am insane...

2 hours ago, richieb said:

Well just like those damn speaker boxes which I could have built if I had any skills, I don't. And yeah no problem owning that, those, MB's either. If I had the cash, I don't ! 

I've  just noticed I could do a lot of things "if" - lots of ifs in my like. If only ----

Nice German iron --

I will just say, "There will always be someone with more and someone with less: education, life expectancy, money, stuff. Serenity comes not from what you have, but knowing what you can live without."

• Like 3

^^^^^

Wood worker, a trio of MB's and now philosopher?! A man of many talents  --  Salute!

And trust me Luther we do not do without much, if any. Wife's retiring this Tuesday, all calculations say we are ready to Rock.

But with her retirement and me having the house to myself for the past two years I'll probably Need some "away" time? When does Woodworking 101 begin???

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was really enjoying this thread but it has been quiet for many days now so I thought I would start some fun with my non-FORD forum friends - not looking to create enemies though. So attached is my Hemi-killer that I built from my mom's car about 17 years ago. I use to drag race it at the track to annoy my Chevy friends with muscle cars. Nothing like coming out of the end of the track ahead of your buddies. :)

P.S. I have learned to not be to uppity as you don't know what the next guy is running.

IMG_1267.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ole Dollar said:

I was really enjoying this thread but it has been quiet for many days now so I thought I would start some fun with my non-FORD forum friends - not looking to create enemies though. So attached is my Hemi-killer that I built from my mom's car about 17 years ago. I use to drag race it at the track to annoy my Chevy friends with muscle cars. Nothing like coming out of the end of the track ahead of your buddies. :)

P.S. I have learned to not be to uppity as you don't know what the next guy is running.

IMG_1267.JPG

Love it! What have you done to it?

Engine is going in on Friday, assuming I don't have anymore parts delays.

IMG_0626.JPG

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, burninator said:

What have you done to it?

Nice mustang and that will be fun. Let us know how the install goes.

I understand the parts issues as there are almost no Crown Victoria performance parts, imagine that. The engine was build by Keith Craft Racing, not to to far from Hope AR, and is a 351 Windsor stroked to 410 with ~ 500 HP and Torque numbers - capable of 250 more on giggle juice. It does suck down about a gallon in a 1/4 mile pass. It runs the original AOD but with Kevlar parts and hardened shafts and outputs to a set of TractionLok'ed 410's.

While going down the track is totally fun I really enjoy putting street tires on it to do burnouts. The only questions are how much tire smoke do you want and at what pitch should the tires sing - "drifts" well too. Admittedly it is funny to see peoples reactions - usually laughter after seeing the hood scoop but jaw drops when hearing the somewhat streetable cam. I call it stupid power and as you can see it is a driver not a show car. It does still ride like a Crown Vic - smoooooth.

I am loving the other hot rods being shown!!!

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

• Like 1

Haven't looked at this thread until now and really enjoyed it. Need more pictures. I got my license when those mid-late 60's muscle cars hit the streets. Factory race cars. Look at them now. Wow! Sweet Challenger pics I remember riding to school in a 1971 Challenger. Down to the coast (300 miles) in it too. Rough even on the young cheeks back then. I would still like to have a new ZL1 but I'm past that. I'll post a stock photo of 'ole Magic Carpet Ride. All options, including oldtimers favorite, acoustical glass. 2012 Buick Lacrosse Touring. In the garage with 9,009 miles.

buick.jpg

• Like 1

The engine in the '55 Belair. I started with a 1967 truck block punched 40 over.

heads ported, polished, hardened seats, teflon seals, double wound springs
Cloyes double roller timing set
Competition Cams and roller rockers
aluminum distributer out of a '69 Z balanced and recurved
Edelbrock Performer intake, 1406 carb and valve covers
intake is powder coated
ram horn manifolds are HPC coated

Bel283.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wardsweb said:

The engine in the '55 Belair. I started with a 1967 truck block punched 40 over.

heads ported, polished, hardened seats, teflon seals, double wound springs
Cloyes double roller timing set
Competition Cams and roller rockers
aluminum distributer out of a '69 Z balanced and recurved
Edelbrock Performer intake, 1406 carb and valve covers
intake is powder coated
ram horn manifolds are HPC coated

Bel283.jpg

Chevy truck block heads normally come with much smaller valves to increase torque. Hope you went to the bigger valves.

JJK

11 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Chevy truck block heads normally come with much smaller valves to increase torque. Hope you went to the bigger valves.

JJK

Yeppers, double hump 202. I wasn't going for all out performance but wanted a solid small block for what was at the time my daily driver.

• Like 1

@Wardsweb

Very cool car and story.  

Your use of a truck block reminds me of the days when Dale  Coyne raced Chevy small blocks at Indy.  He started with blocks from school buses, as he felt they were well seasoned.  Hope he too went to the bigger valves.

It was easy to tell when Coyne was approaching on the track; the whine of the smaller displacement higher revving dohc motors was replaced by the guttural rumble of the Chevy V8.

7 hours ago, Wardsweb said:

My Grandfather purchased this car new in December of 1954. I have owned it since 1984. Here is a picture of my son taking possession a few weeks ago. Four generations - one car - a million memories.

I think - hands down that is the best car guy story you can tell.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2017 at 7:21 AM, Davis said:

I am a total wagon Geek.

1971 Buick Estate Wagon

I purchased it to be a tow rig, I thought it pulling my other Buicks on an open trailer would be cool plus it is a beast.

455, Turbo 400, Posi, 9 leaf springs in the rear.

The clam shell wagon is cool and can swallow entire 4'x8' sheets of plywood

It came out of Lubbock, TX, zero rust but the paint on ever horizontal surface is baked.

20141005_181311.jpg

Now there's a memory!

I had one of those during my time in college.  Hand me down from my mother.  Blue with white top.  That clam shell back was nice for parallel parking too, let you see everything.

Went from that to the convertible 1971 4-4-2

It was a nice move.