Car Thread

burninator

RIP Bob Glidden.

The fact his accomplishments were achieved with race cars built in a small shop behind his house in rural Indiana makes them even more special to me.

His story of how he needed to quit his job as a mechanic at a local Ford dealership to have the time to go race full time and the impact it would have on his family if he failed is a great representation of the man he was.

A great man, an even greater family man and one of the fiercest competitors there was when he put on that helmet.

Glad I had an opportunity to meet and talk with him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davis said:

RIP Bob Glidden.

The fact his accomplishments were achieved with race cars built in a small shop behind his house in rural Indiana makes them even more special to me.

His story of how he needed to quit his job as a mechanic at a local Ford dealership to have the time to go race full time and the impact it would have on his family if he failed is a great representation of the man he was.

A great man, an even greater family man and one of the fiercest competitors there was when he put on that helmet.

Thanks for the heads-up and the personal anecdotes.

14 hours ago, Davis said:

RIP Bob Glidden.

RIP Bob.

He was a fierce competitor, won a lot of races. I've driven by his shop/house in Whiteland many times, and there were always race trailers parked everywhere.

He was a good guy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 10:43 PM, woralph said:

Does anyone have experience with ContiWinterContact TS830 in the snow? I know X-Ice and Blizzaks are some popular choices, though I'm thinking of trying the continental tires for winter use.

I have 3 seasons of experience with the Continental Winter Extreme Contact tire on a front wheel drive sub compact vehicle.

It is an excellent tire and its performance was even better than i expected.

I put 24,000 miles on them and they still have lots of tread remaining.

Grip was so good that on a packed snow surface the front end would turn so well you could make it oversteer like a rear wheel drive car would act.

I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 7:10 AM, JJkizak said:

I once installed a Buick V6 into my 79 Corvette for three years trying to save gas (sometimes you do things just to see if they can be done) then pulled it back out. Only drawback was the V6 tended to heat up the oil passed 350F for some reason. Never did figure out why. Everything else worked fine.

JJK

Thats an awful lot of work for gas mileage. Did you have to swap the factory gauges out so they'd work with the six banger? 

2 minutes ago, Harleywood said:

Thats an awful lot of work for gas mileage. Did you have to swap the factory gauges out so they'd work with the six banger? 

No just used the same GM Vette sensors, well not sure anymore it's been a few years. The tach was electric and used one of those motor mount kits. I also used the buick 5 speed manual overdrive tranny .

JJK

• Like 1

Cool cars in this thread.  I've got a 2013 Camaro SS 1LE, had it for a year and half.  I've always been more of a hot hatch guy, but I'm also into track days and motorsports in general.  I was turned on to the 1LE from some reviews about it's track capability.

Haven't had it on track yet, been focused on bikes but I will be getting it ready to track this season.  

camaro.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/15/2018 at 11:08 PM, Davis said:

I have 3 seasons of experience with the Continental Winter Extreme Contact tire on a front wheel drive sub compact vehicle.

It is an excellent tire and its performance was even better than i expected.

I put 24,000 miles on them and they still have lots of tread remaining.

Grip was so good that on a packed snow surface the front end would turn so well you could make it oversteer like a rear wheel drive car would act.

I highly recommend them.

Nice to know that. I just ordered a set last weekend. Hope they will perform well.

Just got some long tube headers in the mail for my '13 camaro ss 1le.  Should provide a decent hp gain.  Next is a mild cam for road course work.  I'm thinking the GMPP CNC head and LSA cam package - though all the camaro forum guys recommend bigger cams...I want something that doesn't need a top end rebuild every 15k miles, not to mention a nice average HP gain across the range.  At the track, that average power pays more dividends than a peaky cam.  

Truetrac, Zl1 brake upgrade and Ohlins R&T coming this year...