Car Thread

burninator

Just sold my 2016 Nissan 370Z that I bought new with 4 miles on it, and just over 16k when I sold it, with an additional $13k of mods performed on it, and pumping out nearly 400 hp at the crank N/A. Sold it due to my left knee and hip (darn bicycle jumps and junk I used to do as a kid). I could shift just fine, but it was getting in, and more so getting out that was killing me. 

p3187617488-5.jpg

p3187617077-5.jpg

p3156961915-5.jpg

Now I have a sweet, near mint 2001 Lexus LS430, barely broken in with a mere 201k miles on the clock! Full ceramic tint all around including clear all the way down the windshield to protect the interior, muffler delete just to give it a little sound which means it's still very quiet (and it really is too). However, I plan on doing a full custom stainless exhaust including headers, x-pipe, all mandrel bent, and Magnaflow mufflers, and the party piece... Electric cut-outs right after the headers and cats. I ordered custom valved adjustable coilovers for it which still need to be installed, and also have the timing belt/water pump/pulley kit sitting here waiting to be installed. I also have a remapped ECU coming for it as well to help give it a little extra spunk and firm up the shifts as well as speed up the down shifts. Still trying to decide on wheels, most likely 18's and something in a style that would be somewhat period correct, staggered as well. Think older BMW M series and Merc AMG of the late 90's, early 2000's. Oh, and I ordered and installed JDM tail lights straight from Japan off of the Toyota Celsior as they came with clear turn signals instead of the ugly amber ones.

I've only had the Lexus for around 5 months, so I'm just collecting toys for it at the moment, and for some reason, I really enjoy driving this car so much more than any other car I've had before, and all of my other cars were all sports cars and manuals... Go figure. LOL

BTW, the Alfa Romeo in the pics belongs to one of my brothers. 

p3712689457-5.jpg

p3620986934-5.jpg

p3798878378-5.jpg

p3798878379-5.jpg

• Like 5

Has anyone heard of or done an "italian tune up" got my wifes car back from my mechanic, he suggested doing it every  once in awhile which entails per he, beating the snot out of the car to remove carbon build up. Its a V8 audi a6, that i rarely have the oil changed i figured with 9.5 quarts of oil why change it. i didnt tell him that, but does this work?

Have any of y'all noticed the fit and finish, the acceleration rate of one of the more nice Genesis around you recently?

The new version of their G-80 seems very nice to me European looking also no denying that.

Not a real performer... if I could trade my `16 Touring Accord for one straight up I'd pay the extra taxes and gas!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31231455/genesis-g80-confirmed-2021/

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Looks great, but how does it drive?  Wasnt impressed with their genesis manual coupes in the past.... 

Good question, never driven one but drove a Hyundai before.

Lots of those around the edges of the big money zip codes here the past couple of years so they must be ok. I do acknowledge that's not the best way to judge that!

Nice red paint job on your mustang there @mustang_flht might have told you before I like that and your house exterior!

911 too! Way to go!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, juniper said:

Has anyone heard of or done an "italian tune up" got my wifes car back from my mechanic, he suggested doing it every  once in awhile which entails per he, beating the snot out of the car to remove carbon build up. Its a V8 audi a6, that i rarely have the oil changed i figured with 9.5 quarts of oil why change it. i didnt tell him that, but does this work?

You don't have to beat the snot out of it. Just take it out on the highway for a nice weekend drive to nowhere every now and then. Just get it up to 70-80 mph and cruise there for a few hours. Getting the entire engine, transmission and all fluids up to optimal operating temperature is key, and to keep them at or slightly above those temps for at least 30 minutes or more. Preferably more. This loosens up carbon, boils out all the moisture (water) in the fluids and clears out all of the oil and water galleys. 

Just beating on it a little bit here and there in the city isn't going to do much of anything other than waste fuel. Again, all of the temps need to be up to full operating temp and remain there for 30 minutes or more. Driving like a fool will do nothing but waste fuel, waste tires and brake pads, and waste your savings away when you get those traffic violation tickets for driving like a clown.

My car for instance (2001 Lexus LS430) has over 201k miles on it, most of which are highway miles, fluids changed regularly, etc, etc for the past 19 years. Technically, the engine should have no more normal wear internally than a city driven car with 20k miles on it. At least, that's what everyone says. I tend to agree though. The thing runs like a top. Ultra smooth, quiet, not a single rattle or leak anywhere, no smoke, no blow-by, no excessive usage of oil. It's just like a new car still. 

• Like 1

Take it from an Italian car guy, Italian tune ups involve getting  it up to temps, and getting the revs high, several times.  Keeping them high for a good bit.  Basically it blows  out any residual deposits.  If there is no need for new plugs, this will help.  But instead of letting the mechanic have the fun, do it yourself.  If there is still a problem , then take it in.

9 minutes ago, Charles T said:

You don't have to beat the snot out of it. Just take it out on the highway for a nice weekend drive to nowhere every now and then. Just get it up to 70-80 mph and cruise there for a few hours. Getting the entire engine, transmission and all fluids up to optimal operating temperature is key, and to keep them at or slightly above those temps for at least 30 minutes or more. Preferably more. This loosens up carbon, boils out all the moisture (water) in the fluids and clears out all of the oil and water galleys. 

Just beating on it a little bit here and there in the city isn't going to do much of anything other than waste fuel. Again, all of the temps need to be up to full operating temp and remain there for 30 minutes or more. Driving like a fool will do nothing but waste fuel, waste tires and brake pads, and waste your savings away when you get those traffic violation tickets for driving like a clown.

My car for instance (2001 Lexus LS430) has over 201k miles on it, most of which are highway miles, fluids changed regularly, etc, etc for the past 19 years. Technically, the engine should have no more normal wear internally than a city driven car with 20k miles on it. At least, that's what everyone says. I tend to agree though. The thing runs like a top. Ultra smooth, quiet, not a single rattle or leak anywhere, no smoke, no blow-by, no excessive usage of oil. It's just like a new car still. 

But you are not talking about an Italian car.