Car Thread

burninator

It sounds like a mix of electric motors with fake sound enhancements and a little bit of straight cut diff gears... All high frequency piercing sounds... Not cool Jetson exhaust like it should be..... They should have that as an option in electric cars... Like a menu for in-car exhaust noise replication... A list of race cars you wish your electric car sounded like...

George Jetson's SpaceCar

Ferrari F12 t2

Richard Petty 64'

Etc...!

I bought a cheapie? "Launch 319" OBDII code reader simply to check my coolant temp.

I guess the folks who build these expect this dummy to know how to use it. No instructions.

My Civic has no temp gauge at all.

Now I can't figure out how to set it up to read that one function.

Hoping one you car guys can get me started.

• 1 month later...

Got the car out to a NASA event at High Plains Raceway this weekend. I ran HPDE 4 as I knew I'd be rusty... And I was. This was the first time I had the car out on the track in 4.5 years, so I had to get back into the groove.... I definitely did not pickup where I left off. I ran wastegate spring for this event, which was between 4.5-5 PSI. I was on 4.5 year old RE71R's and it was about 88F and 5k ft above sea level. I also needed to bleed the brakes, as It's been nearly 5 years... But they worked fine, just a touch squishy. :)

I was worried about heat in the turbo area, so I did as much shielding as I could and picked up a fire extinguisher. The only issues I had where that I had a radiator vent hose come loose, which didn't happen on track, and my V-band clamp loosen up on the turbo to downpipe. The first time I went out, open lapping on Friday, I saw my OEM temp gauge start moving up several bars, making me nervous, so I backed off and did some easier laps. Once off track, I pulled the log off the ECU and it showed a max coolant temp of 201. Knowing that AEM internal logging is hit or miss, I strapped my laptop in the passenger seat for the first session on Saturday, which is what I am looking at in the video. The data matched what I had seen with the internal log, so I didn't pay much attention to the OEM gauge.

My max temps all weekend were:

Coolant - 203F
Oil - 235F
Air temp on track - 105F

Data from the back straight:
50454087348_98f0f64cc6_k_cd5aeb952217e43e2926c9173a19686781824c84.jpg

First session on Saturday, checking my laptop for true coolant temps: Again, very rusty and this was the first time out with the turbo and aero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7SXLpZluQ

50454808221_6f280e8d18_h_192d13da754ce84062dee701a3929bf0200b10bc.jpg

50454815951_dabf95b547_h_562a6eb8a47bee1e579a2e668fda5fbff6d0d179.jpg

50454808076_aceca7c5f2_h_9a332374adb9527f68e6209842318b246592b04d.jpg

I also had a customer S2000 out, who placed 1st in TT1 and got the lap record!  He makes a bit more power with a lot more grip.

50456777076_900c65221b_h_14a35970c9ef19a98c2b71cd6ac210bd365f8a88.jpg

mike_tt1_record_time_cba9f939aae6264ad4459320b25f2d424f960cf5.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More track time this weekend with some fresh(ish) tires.  Really starting to like the turbo and aero and I've now done 3 track days with zero maintenance...  I did 120 miles on track this past Saturday alone!

Turns out, my car is quieter than I thought.  It's only got a single, 3" straight-thru muffler (and a turbo to muffle).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you Gents have an opinion on fuel injector cleaner?  My BMW 2012 Z435is with 31,000 miles apparently has 2 injectors that sometimes stick.  I have an estimate to replace all 6 for $2650 which according to a google search seems reasonable.  A friend suggested trying Chevron/Techron 67740 fuel system cleaner first.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

You can try the cleaner first but there is a guy in Michigan I think, I can't remember right now so try a search.  You send your injectors to him, and he brings them to spec and measures them and sends them back with the stats.  It is way cheaper than replacing.  I used him for my Alfa and highly recommend.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, Tarheel said:

Any of you Gents have an opinion on fuel injector cleaner?  My BMW 2012 Z435is with 31,000 miles apparently has 2 injectors that sometimes stick.  I have an estimate to replace all 6 for $2650 which according to a google search seems reasonable.  A friend suggested trying Chevron/Techron 67740 fuel system cleaner first.

Thoughts?

there is a  specific concentrated EFI  cleaning product that they use at the dealership , for all the cars brands ,---    most parts stores   can tell you what  the name of the product is  -

it's run through the  fuel injectors straight rather than through the gaz tank , with  the engine ON ,  for up to 1 hour until the cleaner flows through completely -and the before and after results are a 100% clean injector -

Call RC engineering   , they are the best at  Fuel injection systems in racing /stock injection systems is a breeze  , they can advise you better , as to what product to use   -----

https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/

• Thanks 1