Car Thread

burninator

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for advice on tuning modules specifically the JB4 module for a 2012 BMW Z4 35is.  335hp now and looking to get to 400hp at stage 1 boost.  35,000 miles, daily driver.  Safe is #1 priority....don't want to hurt the engine.

Has anyone here done this and would you do it again?

I tune, but I have not tuned BMW's, so I can't speak for how well their tune works.  I have heard of the JB4, but obviously have not used it.  I believe I may have one friend running it on his current gen M3/4, but I would have to ask.  He's been racing it on track and autoX and it hasn't blown up... And it is a full street car.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Looking for advice on tuning modules specifically the JB4 module for a 2012 BMW Z4 35is.  335hp now and looking to get to 400hp at stage 1 boost.  35,000 miles, daily driver.  Safe is #1 priority....don't want to hurt the engine.

Yes, not on a BMW but on my golf r.   Works extremely well. Tuner is George in South africa.   You email him your recorded log and he can tell you what is safe for the car based on recorded parameters.   He does plenty of tunes with meth and E85 as well. Highly recommended. Plenty of BMW guys with very quick cars tuned on jb4 as well without pushing your car to the limit and breaking one thing after another. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 7:19 AM, RocketFoot said:

I have a 71 Mach 1 Mustang...it runs but needs a new carb and new tires in order to hit the road!  I've been busy spending all my extra money on speakers and vintage audio gear...the Mach 1 got sent to the back burner, LOL!

20170610_154704-tiltshift.jpg

20170610_154614.jpg

335914_3446630809952_1261061982_o.jpg

what kind of motor -----tranny is she running   

10 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Have you done all the important stuff like upgrading the suspension , brakes , mounts etc... ? Don't be an I want 400hp guy without upgrading everything else . Oh and BMW's are very expensive when it comes time to do BMW shit . Have you had at least a compression and leak down test yet 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_7945.JPG.bb7554d349c2d419d150d74ca6b00a58.JPGNo the car is completely stock.  A ceramic coating and new Michelin's.  Only 36,000 miles though.  I have been quoted 1K for the module, installation, and two pulls on the dyno.  Tech says maybe 80hp/70 pounds of torque increase can be expected and I get to watch the dyno test.  Not sure where in my neck of the woods I could use all that power with our traffic.

Your advice is well taken! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

No the car is completely stock.  A ceramic coating and new Michelin's.  Only 36,000 miles though.

Accelerated maintenance is where it's at. 5k oil changes, much faster changes on spark plugs mainly. Your stock brakes will suffice for the mean time as long as you aren't redlining the car every time you drive (I don't that).  Boosted bmws respond the way Volkswagens do to to tunes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

IMG_7945.JPG.bb7554d349c2d419d150d74ca6b00a58.JPGNo the car is completely stock.  A ceramic coating and new Michelin's.  Only 36,000 miles though.  I have been quoted 1K for the module, installation, and two pulls on the dyno.  Tech says maybe 80hp/70 pounds of torque increase can be expected and I get to watch the dyno test.  Not sure where in my neck of the woods I could use all that power with our traffic.

George does the VW Audi tuning remotely.  Plug and play install, easy with some time. You can email him and ask if he does the tuning for BMW as well or if someone else does.   Turn it to stage 1, do some pulls on freeway usually 3rd to 5th gear from memory low to high rpm. Send him the log and hell advise what to change and make sure everything is in the safe parameter.  

• Thanks 1

@Tarheel  Chuck , the Z4 already has performance  parts at 335HP ,  + 80 HP , no worries  ,  the kit is using the power of the engine differently , by boosting the power  across the power band 

the behavior of the car will change enough to make it a totally different car ,  in high traffic  , the pedal response is primed up . ,with ++ torque across the power band  , more sensitive to lurch forward  , peakier acceleration  , and typically more  nervous  all around ,  a sleeper .

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 10:40 PM, sunburnwilly said:

908 Porsche is probably my SECOND most favorite car of all time... these class of Targa/mille miglia hill climbers are the class of cars I love best.

My all time favorite grail car would be to get a Ferrari 312PB

photos_ferrari_312_1971_4.jpg

this car sounds like a wet dream on track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

the behavior of the car will change enough to make it a totally different car ,  in high traffic  , the pedal response is primed up . ,with ++ torque across the power band  , more sensitive to lurch forward  , peakier acceleration  , and typically more  nervous  all around ,  a sleeper .

NOT TRUE. The behavior of the car does not change at unless you are heavy in the throttle or higher than baseline boost.  Please don't post things like this that you have NO idea about. I have driven many JB4 cars. ZERO of them behave in this manner. Who would want that? 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

NOT TRUE. The behavior of the car does not change at unless you are heavy in the throttle or higher than baseline boost.  Please don't post things like this that you have NO idea about. I have driven many JB4 cars. ZERO of them behave in this manner. Who would want that? 

If you add some JEM caps, it will behave as the mfg. intended 🤣

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Just curious why you would not go with Dinan? They advertise up to 398 hp with your car. Several years ago I did their stage 1 with my 135 at the BMW dealer; no installation issues, 100% compatible, and no problem with my warranty. Just adding 30 more hp to the already silly 300hp was enough for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michaelwjones said:

Just curious why you would not go with Dinan? They advertise up to 398 hp with your car. Several years ago I did their stage 1 with my 135 at the BMW dealer; no installation issues, 100% compatible, and no problem with my warranty. Just adding 30 more hp to the already silly 300hp was enough for me. 

It's what the speed shop recommended and I really know little about tuning.  Plus if I get 80hp more as they suggest I would top out at 415hp.

1 minute ago, Tarheel said:

It's what the speed shop recommended and I really know little about tuning.  Plus if I get 80hp more as they suggest I would top out at 415hp.

They recommended JB4 because it's often touted as "undetectable", it's affordable, safe and highs solid gains. I'm sure Dinan is a great choice, but I'm guessing it's not an economical route.