Car Thread

burninator

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 9:13 PM, sunburnwilly said:

That’s not something you see every day.  Street Ferraris are rare enough around here, never mind an F1 model.  Not too many cops on that road, I’m guessing.  I wonder what kind of car was chasing him to make the video?  It seemed pretty fast, too.

EDIT:  I just checked the Comments on YouTube.  It turns out the video was shot in the Czech Republic, and the guy has done it a number of times.  The police eventually tracked down the car, but since he was wearing a helmet, the driver couldn’t be identified.  I suspect it just might be the owner...

Did you notice the Bugatti that was running with it?  Maybe it was just Fast Cruise Day for some rich guys.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:37 AM, Schu said:

yes it is...

I am surprised that anyone knows who steven baker is anymore... AMERICAS first world champion.

Since Steve Baker raced for Yamaha Canada, his name is familiar among all the Canadian racers.  Well, maybe not the ones who are racing currently...

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2022 at 3:00 PM, Invidiosulus said:

My little baby needs a water pump.24CDDCAE-C858-482B-B1A6-5DED085869C1.thumb.jpeg.0a2bb8fc775c9415cef6d1857c652fce.jpeg

There’s quite a few of those little trucks running around Victoria, as well as lots of the Mitsubishi Delica 4-wheel drive minivans.  They’re all JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) vehicles, so they’re all right-hand drive.  That doesn’t seem to matter, though.

Don’t know where you’d go for parts, except for bidding ninja.  

Bidding Ninja is a site that covers auction sites in Japan, so that we overseas customers can access sites that would normally be difficult to deal with.  I used them to find an obscure DVD from my favourite band, so the $25 fee they charge felt a bit high, but hey, I couldn’t find it anywhere else, so I paid it.

However, their primary business is JDM car parts, so the $25 fee is insignificant next to the price of an engine, for example.  Since that’s their main interest, I’d check them out.  They could be just the source you need.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, Islander said:

Nice bikes.  The Daytona Special is cool, and where did you find the RD250?  Were they ever sold in the US, or is that a European model?  I like the blue paint.  We only got the red 350s in Canada.

I had a white w/ orange stripe RD250 in high school in FL in the late 70's. It had a front disc brake. My best friend had a blue RD400. Another best bud later got a white Kenny Roberts RZ and now has a yellow one. Miss those days...

15 hours ago, amped said:

I had a white w/ orange stripe RD250 in high school in FL in the late 70's. It had a front disc brake. My best friend had a blue RD400. Another best bud later got a white Kenny Roberts RZ and now has a yellow one. Miss those days...

Cool!  We rarely had colour choices in Canada back then.  Our Canadian first-year 1976 RD400s came only in Low Gloss Black, kind of flat black with shiny gold graphics.  Pretty much everybody waxed them to make them shiny.  I really like the look of the green 1976 US RD400s.  In 1979, I was brought to Daytona to wrench for Martin Schubert, who had a very fast 1977 RD400 that year.  I brought my RD along, so I probably had the only black RD400 at Daytona Speed Week that year.

Later, when my mother took a trip to visit relatives in Ireland, I got her to pick me up a European 1A2 RD400 gas tank, which holds 16.5 litres, rather than the 13 litres of the North American 1A1 tank.  It looks very similar, and is just about an inch taller.  That went well with the lowered seat cushion.  The stock seat was very thick, almost level with the top of the 1A1 tank, so cutting down the foam in the front half of the seat was a popular mod.

The European tank was yellow, so I had the side covers painted yellow to match.  I replaced the black Dunstall 3/4 fairing with a yellow one and added a vinyl strip of the “strobe stripe” Yamaha graphic, so it looked pretty cool.  On a trip I took to Belfast, I picked up a set of Hawk articulated handlebars.  They were based on the Laverda design, and were excellent.  You could adjust the height and angle in minutes with a 5/16” Allen wrench, so they cleared the tank and fairing, and were easy to set for the speed I’d be cruising at.

The extra range of the bigger tank came in handy on a 2-up trip to Tampa from Toronto, and on a trip to Vancouver from Toronto, by way of South Dakota, where I saw Mount Rushmore.

I put 135,000 km/84,000 miles on that bike in 9 years, and hated selling it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Islander said:

Cool!  We rarely had colour choices in Canada back then.  Our Canadian first-year 1976 RD400s came only in Low Gloss Black, kind of flat black with shiny gold graphics.  Pretty much everybody waxed them to make them shiny.  I really like the look of the green 1976 US RD400s.  In 1979, I was brought to Daytona to wrench for Martin Schubert, who had a very fast 1977 RD400 that year.  I brought my RD along, so I probably had the only black RD400 at Daytona Speed Week that year.

Mine was identical to the one in the pic (not mine) when I bought it.

Of course, I shortened the turn signal stalks, got lower bars, chambers, k&n's, big coils, etc,  and ported and polished the jugs in my high school marine mechanics class. My bud's blue RD had DG pipes and the gold finned heads. Alas, I broke an ankle in a crash and eventually sold it to a friend. 

My friend w/ the Daytonas had a GS1100 that he raced. I was part of the pit crew in the early 80's. I once rode it on the track at Daytona between races. He raced  it there, Moroso in WPB, Texas World, and Road Atlanta. This was when Kevin Schwantz was a young teenager also competing. 

In high school, one of the older guys had a Honda CBX but due to quaaludes, his gas tank only held about a liter of fuel. You couldn't tell from the great bodywork though...

In jr high, I had a Honda trail 70. The kid down the street had a mustard brown Husky 125 and a red KTM 250 powered Rickman. That was cool- the frame was nickel plated. We'd go riding in the mud. The kid across the street had a Benelli Sei and a blue L88 '69 corvette- his dad was a plumber. Those were the days... 

RD250photo.jpg

Off current topic--We are possibly closing a deal on one vehicle and trading another on it--If it comes to the close --we will be doing a road trip..which will allow me to purchase a set of LaScala's..

His dream car--my dream Speakers....trying real hard not to get too excited--had too many pulled at the last minute--

this is my car we are trading--image.jpeg.6fa09ee8fdd1f642d282ee2f94aab0ff.jpeg