Car Thread

burninator

• 3 weeks later...

18.5 mile NC section of the Cherohala Skyway ; Tennessee line start . The Cherohala is 54 miles with no services and mostly in Tennessee . The NC section has some of the smoothest pavement I have ever experienced ; Tennessee side is rough and the speed limit is 40 compared to 45 in NC . 

Car is my daily 2016 Subaru STi stock with a new set of Michelins . If the driving is not your thing the lighting and cloud scape are pretty cool 😎

8 hours ago, Islander said:

An RD400-powered Honda Minitrail?  Is this yours?  Is it actually ridable?

A buddy of mine sent me the pic. Personally I think it's some quick and dirty photoshop looking at the carbs and squashed k&n filters. Of course, if one put their mind to it..?

On closer inspection, I see what you mean.  It does look like a Photoshop job.  What's extra crazy is some of those motorized bar stools.  They're sort of meant to be pit bikes, but of course some of them have big engines.  Here's a particularly crazy one:

https://silodrome.com/hoss-fly-big-block-barstool/

On the other hand, this one looks practical and useful:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Islander said:

On closer inspection, I see what you mean.  It does look like a Photoshop job.  What's extra crazy is some of those motorized bar stools.  They're sort of meant to be pit bikes, but of course some of them have big engines.  Here's a particularly crazy one:

https://silodrome.com/hoss-fly-big-block-barstool/

that hoss-fly would come in handy about now- like a heated massage chair with a steering wheel

On 11/20/2022 at 4:53 AM, chassell said:

Here's my Dragon video. The 1st 6min or so are kinda dull until I decided to go play with our friend in the vette. He was gonna let me by, but it's more fun chasing.    

If you want some real no-speed-limit fun, why not check out a track day at Nelson Ledges, the great track in northern Ohio?  It has lots of high-speed sweepers and has recently been repaved.  It also has a good long back straight and is possibly my favourite track.  I raced three 5-Hour endurance races there in the Seventies and two 24-Hours there in the Eighties, as well as some sprint races, and enjoyed every lap, even the ones in the rain and the dark.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Islander said:

If you want some real no-speed-limit fun, why not check out a track day at Nelson Ledges, the great track in northern Ohio?  It has lots of high-speed sweepers and has recently been repaved.  It also has a good long back straight and is possibly my favourite track.  I raced three 5-Hour endurance races there in the Seventies and two 24-Hours there in the Eighties, as well as some sprint races, and enjoyed every lap, even the ones in the rain and the dark.

I've never done NL, but raced sprints and endurance in WERA, so I've had my share of no speed limit fun. Road Atlanta probably my favorite track to race on, followed by Barber.

• Thanks 1

I've got a little mundane Honda Accord (Hybrid/Touring).  It's actually a fun car to drive.  Bought it from a friend of mine who's son had tragically passed away (gun accident, kid was handing his new antique rifle to Pops who was sitting in the chair in living room, son said 'relax dad, I've removed the magazine'.....  but it seems he didn't check the breech.  Turned gun around to hand butt to father, (I don't know what happened next) gun goes off and is pointing at sons face.  Father told me it blew his head off.....  in their living room....)

A year later, I bought the car and honestly, I feel like Rocky (the son) is still around.

None the less....  Not knowing the state of condition (he bought it new in 2019, died in 2021 and I bought it a year later, last March or so and it only had 14,000 miles on it.  Oil change, filter changes.... I'm going to get a set of spark plugs so i can have those handy.....

Well....  a bunch of you old farts might remember back when spark plugs were 'essentially' $1.00 each, maybe $2.00.....

Dealer wants $64.  Not for a set but for EACH plug.  WHA???

Seems they are not Iridium but some other newer fancy 'idium' name.  Marketing?  Theft?  Sigh.  I don't know but he said he'd have to order them so I said I'd look at other options.  So far, can't find the special 'idium' (I'm omitting the first part since I don't recall)  I still can't find them at what I'd feel to be, a more reasonable price.

They're supposed to last 100,000 miles so if that's true, I've still got 70K to go.  Guess I better start saving my pennies.

16 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I've got a little mundane Honda Accord (Hybrid/Touring).  It's actually a fun car to drive.  Bought it from a friend of mine who's son had tragically passed away (gun accident, kid was handing his new antique rifle to Pops who was sitting in the chair in living room, son said 'relax dad, I've removed the magazine'.....  but it seems he didn't check the breech.  Turned gun around to hand butt to father, (I don't know what happened next) gun goes off and is pointing at sons face.  Father told me it blew his head off.....  in their living room....)

A year later, I bought the car and honestly, I feel like Rocky (the son) is still around.

None the less....  Not knowing the state of condition (he bought it new in 2019, died in 2021 and I bought it a year later, last March or so and it only had 14,000 miles on it.  Oil change, filter changes.... I'm going to get a set of spark plugs so i can have those handy.....

Well....  a bunch of you old farts might remember back when spark plugs were 'essentially' $1.00 each, maybe $2.00.....

Dealer wants $64.  Not for a set but for EACH plug.  WHA???

Seems they are not Iridium but some other newer fancy 'idium' name.  Marketing?  Theft?  Sigh.  I don't know but he said he'd have to order them so I said I'd look at other options.  So far, can't find the special 'idium' (I'm omitting the first part since I don't recall)  I still can't find them at what I'd feel to be, a more reasonable price.

They're supposed to last 100,000 miles so if that's true, I've still got 70K to go.  Guess I better start saving my pennies.

NGK laser iridium maybe?

something to do with the electrode being laser welded in place and they are supposed to last 100,000 miles.

I wouldn’t worry about it until I hit 80,000 or so.

No (though Iridium may work fine for all I know)

Found it....they're Ruthenium.  I had never heard of that....looked it up and at least it's for real (on the periodic table as I recall)

That's what's called for.....(hence the price I'm sure)  I don't know if an Iridium version would be considered close enough.  Getting 50 mpg's verses the 30+ in the old Toyota (non hybrid), I'll suck it up....but had to pause and at least try to find them for less.  Dealer is generally more expensive BUT, so far, haven't found them (haven't done a serious look yet either)

• Like 1