Car Thread

burninator

4 hours ago, JJkizak said:

My 1993 5.2 has quadratrack. Luckily never had a problem with it.

JJK

Selec-Trak  could snap in or out of 4 to 2 wheel drive   no matter the road conditions  , but the   frequent changes in traction required more servicing of the transfer case 

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

Oh shut up you're as bad as the Harley goons. By all means let us view your real Jeep.

Years ago, I worked with a guy who, over a long period, had owned a Harley Sportster, a BMW R100RT, and a Honda Gold Wing.  He was amused at how each of the three bikes had rabid fans, all proclaiming how their bike of choice was The One True Bike, and all others were just pretenders.  Silly, right?

• Like 2

Kind of silly, but they'll fight over it!!

Or my old `84 V-65 Magna, with the engine slightly in front feet also.

Good on curves not coated in pine needles and trips on I-4 from the Atlantic to the Gulf. 

Good aspects from different types of bikes!

Not mine but it was just like this without the windshield .

84-V65-MAGNA.jpg

https://ridermagazine.com/2019/12/25/retrospective-1983-1986-honda-vf1100c-v65-magna/

• Like 3

When I was in my twenties, I was a bit of a bike snob (sportbikes rule, cruisers drool, lol), but over time I came to realize that there are many ways to enjoy bikes, whether it's just polishing your bike and adding lots of chrome accessories, or polishing your bike and adding lots of carbon fibre accessories.  You know who both of you are, even if each of you look down your noses at the other group and their silly bikes.  

There are also the High Milers, who go on great long rides and buy lots of tires, and the Weekend Cruisers, who rarely leave the city limits, but trade in their bikes every couple of years.  Can't forget the Dirt Bikers, who buy lots of gear and have to keep replacing their worn-out bikes.  Whichever group you belong to, keep in mind that it's because of all the subgroups combined that the shops are able to stay in business and be there when you need them.

• Like 1

Mr FR has updated Mrs FR’s car last year 

She wanted a BMW with a sunroof. This was due to the 520i she had in the past 
That was until she had to go in for a knee replacement, so to be practical we looked around for a car that was high to limit bending 

But the request for a sunroof was still on the list 

So a decision was made and we got a Hyundai Venue Elite - this little car has just about everything if not more features that you can imagine 

And you guest it right. It has a sunroof as standard 

Current kms traveled is 5800kms 

IMG-4354.png

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Good on curves not coated in pine needles and trips on I-4 from the Atlantic to the Gulf. 

84-V65-MAGNA.jpg

https://ridermagazine.com/2019/12/25/retrospective-1983-1986-honda-vf1100c-v65-magna/

Had one if the first V45s Quickly sold boooooring ..

No rumble, no backfires, no Harley for sure 🙄

• Haha 1

Looked at a gorgeous new burnt orange `93-95 1200 Sportster back then. Just a little more than I could swing the payments on comfortably. Cuz in law had a wildly modded XL hardtail something that was fun... he just would not let ANYBODY else drive it!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 5:29 PM, JohnJ said:

84-V65-MAGNA.jpg

This is what I learned to ride on after a dirt bike.  My dad got tired of replacing cams due to the poor oiling and finally sold it about 15 years ago.  One hell of a top-heavy bike.

• Like 1

That was the first I had, I was stout back then it was a 600lb bike! I liked the weight being slightly in front of me for the curves and turns. Lots better than the 883 I tried out. Had to get the carbs adjusted/synched once! One helluva machine, right!

Traded mine for a Chevy about five years later, we needed a second car worse after the other car had an issue too big to spend $ on.

17 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

This thing is stupid fast , just mind numbing 

What’s crazy is it seemed like it was electronically limited in its top speed on the end straight.  Unless it only has a 7 speed transmission?

{edit}  I guess it does have a 7 speed transmission.  

On 5/26/2023 at 2:14 PM, wuzzzer said:

What’s crazy is it seemed like it was electronically limited in its top speed on the end straight.  Unless it only has a 7 speed transmission?

{edit}  I guess it does have a 7 speed transmission.  

I'd say you're right.  At top speed the car was revving over 8000 rpm and appeared to be just past redline, where the rev limiter would come into play.  It's possible that the car could have pulled slightly taller gearing, but maybe taller gears would have compromised the performance on most of the track, so that sacrificing a bit of top speed on the longest straight resulted in a better lap time, because of the better acceleration out of turns produced by the lower gearing.

Or maybe taller gears were not available, so they had to work with what they had.  Who knows? I imagine the driver saying, "I'll be back in five, and that's no jive!"

It's funny how it seems like a different track at those speeds.  Obviously a five-minute track, right?  What's missing from the video is the sensation of the cornering forces.  We just sit here casually, without the feeling of over 1g jamming us to one side, then to the other side, and hanging from the 5-way harness when he hits the brakes, then pinned to the seat exiting every corner.  At least with a motorbike, it leans over when it corners.  Sure, the newest gyro cams remain level at all times, unlike the old ones that leaned with the bike, but the telemetry lets you see the angle of lean, so you know how far to the side you should lean on the sofa while you watch the video.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 6:29 PM, JohnJ said:

84-V65-MAGNA.jpg

I had one when they first came out Quickly sold it for the Real Thing A Milwaukee Vibrator

Chic dig them.  😀

• Haha 1

@the real Duke Spinner :lol:

So what's not real about that V-65 ?

I don't get it except it for the sheer exhilaration of speed, some trouble keeping the front tire on the pavement.

Definite lack of that familiar potato, potato lope!

Never pulled out the mufflers baffles and beat them with a baseball bat<_<

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Maxalex said:

I recently read about Chrysler and watched the pics. Now I want this car! Btw, the 2023 model was created with AI. Its entire dashboard is a giant touchscreen, powered by AI and promised to be self-driving and predict your wants and needs. Sounds really cool.

Just hope the "AI" doesn't determine you are useless and eject you from the car.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Haha 2