Car Thread

burninator

29 minutes ago, burninator said:

Today I get to hook it up and fight with the longtubes. 

That was a knuckle buster in my Crn Vic - used some Super Comps designed for another car and did a little cutting and welding which is one of the reasons I wrapped them - prettier that way. Good luck and if you don't mind please keep posting your updates - builds are very cool!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 7:21 AM, Davis said:

I am a total wagon Geek.

1971 Buick Estate Wagon

I purchased it to be a tow rig, I thought it pulling my other Buicks on an open trailer would be cool plus it is a beast.

455, Turbo 400, Posi, 9 leaf springs in the rear.

The clam shell wagon is cool and can swallow entire 4'x8' sheets of plywood

It came out of Lubbock, TX, zero rust but the paint on ever horizontal surface is baked.

20141005_181311.jpg

Did, or do, you use it as a tow vehicle.  What does it look like today?

44 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

That was a knuckle buster in my Crn Vic - used some Super Comps designed for another car and did a little cutting and welding which is one of the reasons I wrapped them - prettier that way. Good luck and if you don't mind please keep posting your updates - builds are very cool!

I will continue to update!

These are BBK long tubes that are designed for this application, but they just barely fit. I think there will be a mm or two between the driver's side and the steering shaft.

Passenger's side is on

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

• Like 2

Geeeezzzz owwww man! Why is it that nobody even told me about this thread and I had to stumble across it??

I think I am the only car guy on this forum whos screen name is totally dedicated to their engine with a picture of said engine as an avatar??

Disapointed guys.... Disapointed  ;(

Roger

53 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Geeeezzzz owwww man! Why is it that nobody even told me about this thread and I had to stumble across it??

I think I am the only car guy on this forum whos screen name is totally dedicated to their engine with a picture of said engine as an avatar??

Disapointed guys.... Disapointed  ;(

Roger

I'm disappointed in the lack of pictures in this post! :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burninator said:

I'm disappointed in the lack of pictures in this post! :D 

There is a picture in my avatar of an Arias cast aluminum Carol Shelby 427 FE block with Big Bore kit, and Bill Coon Aluminum raised port Cammer heads. I'm running a Winberg Billet crank with small block chevy 2.0 rod journal Carrilo rods and custom Diamond billet pistons. I will be running custom billet core cams with reduced base circle to be running custom rockers to clear 0.850 lift cams. CNC program on 0.300 raised ports flows 450 CFM on the intake at 0.850 lift

. This is way more radical than any Cammer back in the day or since. Block is decked 0.300 with slightly less than stock stroke, but a 4.375 bore where a stock 427 FE bore is 4.230. Back in the day, factory Cammers fitted with Aluminum rods with Chrysler Hemi Journal were shifted at 8,500 RPM and saw 10,000 RPM between Power shifts and through the lights on the big end. This engine has more bore, slightly less stroke and deck height, with massively improved head flow numbers and more cam with reduced radius rod journal diameters. and to say it will be an RPM monster is an understatement to say the least. I own an original Top Fuel Blower manifold from one of the two Mickey Thompson Mach 1 Funny Car Top Fuelers and a Billet Plate to adapt the larger 10/71 through 16/71 blowers to the original 6/71 to 8/71 manifold but am tempted to twin turbo charge so that decision will be made after all my other custom pieces have been made. I have driven my best buddies blown, mechanical bug catcher injected, nitrous oxide injected 0.80 over Pro Stock block 427 Chevy displacing 440 cubes and 20% overdriven 1969 RS 1969 Z-28 that has been on the cover of 3 magazines and produces 1,400 HP, this one will eclipse that Chevy by a large margin.   ;)

Roger

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

There is a picture in my avatar of an Arias cast aluminum Carol Shelby 427 FE block with Big Bore kit, and Bill Coon Aluminum raised port Cammer heads. I'm running a Winberg Billet crank with small block chevy 2.0 rod journal Carrilo rods and custom Diamond billet pistons. I will be running custom billet core cams with reduced base circle to be running custom rockers to clear 0.850 lift cams. CNC program on 0.300 raised ports flows 450 CFM on the intake at 0.850 lift

. This is way more radical than any Cammer back in the day or since. Block is decked 0.300 with slightly less than stock stroke, but a 4.375 bore where a stock 427 FE bore is 4.230. Back in the day, factory Cammers fitted with Aluminum rods with Chrysler Hemi Journal were shifted at 8,500 RPM and saw 10,000 RPM between Power shifts and through the lights on the big end. This engine has more bore, slightly less stroke and deck height, with massively improved head flow numbers and more cam with reduced radius rod journal diameters. and to say it will be an RPM monster is an understatement to say the least. I own an original Top Fuel Blower manifold from one of the two Mickey Thompson Mach 1 Funny Car Top Fuelers and a Billet Plate to adapt the larger 10/71 through 16/71 blowers to the original 6/71 to 8/71 manifold but am tempted to twin turbo charge so that decision will be made after all my other custom pieces have been made. I have driven my best buddies blown, mechanical bug catcher injected, nitrous oxide injected 0.80 over Pro Stock block 427 Chevy displacing 440 cubes and 20% overdriven 1969 RS 1969 Z-28 that has been on the cover of 3 magazines and produces 1,400 HP, this one will eclipse that Chevy by a large margin.   ;)

Roger

You got it real bad. Did you kick the tires before all this work on the engine? I used to keep my 1969 427 GM aluminum block and heads in my bedroom for 10 years along with a huge load of other new  GM parts. It had cast iron sleeves with heli-coiled bolt holes. I sold the hole bit to another guy in Michigan and he put all of it in his bedroom. You gotta love it.

JJK

• Like 2

Not much of a car guy but I like to go fast sometimes.... Sad story, was at a guys shop yesterday giving a guy a ride home that works for me sometimes, the owner of the "shop" a wealthy gent, likes to buy pre 1920 cars and rip them apart and copy the parts..... there was a 1905 Mercedes, one of only 2 known Bugattis, another very early Mercedes, a 1909 Alpha, a very early Fiat, a nice Rolls, early engines of all types and parts everywhere.... this was hoarding at an extreme for what purpose I don't know.... The smell of Rustoleum and the sight of dollar store brushes confused me. The owner is a good guy but a little eccentric I would say. What makes the story sad is I dont think these cars will ever be put back together...

Engine went in last night. Today I get to hook it up and fight with the longtubes. 

IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.510f1fed45bdaf2636066f32aad2f0cf.JPG

Nice stang, and good luck. Brings back good memories. I did that once, wound up needing to make a custom double hump cross brace so the pipes would clear. Still very low to ground with suspension I put in.

Dropped a motorsport simese bore 351 tall deck under the hood of my old 84 1/2 stang. The 2" equal length long pipes were just that, fk'ing looong. Topped the block build off with Allan Root AR heads with 202 intake valve. Full roller setup.

Miss that car. Took me 3yrs to build. Custom fab'ed a 9" nodular at the back with Mark Williams 2.25 axles. Nothing was stock, except the head lights and turn signals. She was a real fire breathing beast, but drove and handled like a pootycat. A bit over 500 at the wheels, not too rowdy, not too tame.

Beat still my heart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I will continue to update!

These are BBK long tubes that are designed for this application, but they just barely fit. I think there will be a mm or two between the driver's side and the steering shaft.

Passenger's side is on

IMG_0665.JPG.6b1c6983956ad95cb7f1ac0ef1169f41.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG.166cebbe012b92ef1dabeaef4172ad3e.JPG

Schawing!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Nice stang, and good luck. Brings back good memories. I did that once, wound up needing to make a custom double hump cross brace so the pipes would clear. Still very low to ground with suspension I put in.

Dropped a motorsport siamese bore 351 tall deck under the hood of my old 84 1/2 stang. The 2" equal length long pipes were just that, fk'ing looong. Topped the block build off with Allan Root AR heads with 202 intake valve. Full roller setup.

Miss that car. Took me 3yrs to build. Custom fab'ed a 9" nodular at the back with Mark Williams 2.25 axles. Nothing was stock, except the head lights and turn signals. She was a real fire breathing beast, but drove and handled like a pootycat. A bit over 500 at the wheels, not too rowdy, not too tame.

Beat still my heart.

On 6/24/2017 at 0:54 PM, burninator said:

I'm disappointed in the lack of pictures in this post! [emoji3] 

My daily driver..... flew down to AZ to pick it up last May, 2016. Had a blast driving through the Gila Natl. Forest,, as soon as I hit the mountain passes I hung a left and followed the twisty ridges about 200 miles to the south.

post-10277-0-11760000-1462651753_thumb.jpg

My 3 yr. mustang project. I'll have to dig through a lot of boxes and 35mm pic's to get photos of the project. There were no PC back in the day, well, there was the Tandy and Mac, but I didn't have either. Just my trusty Nikon.

post-10277-0-80200000-1435582904_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

My son, turning 16 in August, has his heart set on a 2013 Scion FR-S. Seems like over the last few months that I have been following they are going up, up, up day by day way past the allowed budget. He needs an automatic which begs the question: can you even rent a reasonable car with a manual tranny to learn in?

5 minutes ago, USNRET said:

My son, turning 16 in August, has his heart set on a 2013 Scion FR-S. Seems like over the last few months that I have been following they are going up, up, up day by day way past the allowed budget. He needs an automatic which begs the question: can you even rent a reasonable car with a manual tranny to learn in?

It's not likely.  Rental agencies would only have manual transmissions in perhaps their exotic sports offerings.  Why don't you own one? 

• Like 1